Gauntlets in progress

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jon

I'm still sitting with my thumb up my butt waiting on parts to get back so I can finish a couple sabers and get them sent off, so I took some time this weekend to build a couple gauntlets. What I built is just the bracer portion - the blade housing will be next and will be secured to the bracer section.

52916b67.jpg.gif

414333ca.jpg.gif

I took measurements at my wrist and my forearm at its largest section, added a bit to give me enough room to extract my hand, and built the curved section from thick styrene from a cheap FOR SALE sign. The flat section is a 1/8" thick styrene sheet. I used plastic welder and liberal amounts of tape to hold things in place while the bond secured.

c6b08bdd.jpg.gif

A member of the Hunter's Lair (vinman) was nice enough to post templates of the armor he built for his AVP-style costume. I sued these templates to base my gauntlets from.

*disaster strikes*

I worked all Friday evening on the gauntlets, and was doing well. I was building them entirely out of styrene and though it was going well. The more parts I added, the worse the gauntlets got. They were distorting, and no amount of heat gun could bring them back. The following pictures are from attempt #2.

4d95bbae.jpg.gif

54170d13.jpg.gif

2b745bbe.jpg.gif

I'm bad about taking "in-progress" shots of my work. I'm too busy working to bother with stopping to document anything. I need to get better. Anyways, here's the completed gauntlets as they sit. I used the thin foam sheets this time around to build the details and found them a joy to work with. I disregarded many details on the vinman templates, but I think they look good as they are. After construction, I sealed them with three coats of truck bed liner spray. Then came a couple coats of Rustoleum Hammered Silver, followed by a wash with thinned black acrylic, then rag stippling and wiping with gunmetal. I picked out a few details in a copper hue, and will carry this color scheme throughout the armor.

a5aeebca.jpg.gif

bcce1977.jpg.gif

A couple shots of the gauntlet on the arm. I will take some time and line the inside of these, and build a pad for the flat section so they will sit snug against the arm. I will start mocking up the blade section tomorrow most likely.

Another departure from the norm, I built these gauntlets the same for each arm because I intend each to be a blade gauntlet. I figure 4 sharp pointy things is better than 2. Undecided whether I am going to attempt to make the blades spring loaded or not. I like the idea, but don't know if I can engineer something that will work reliably. I've seen a few examples here on the Lair, but the process of how to replicate the design is not clear on them. I will ponder this a bit more.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Elkman

Nice looking paint job there. I really can't tell at all that they're made of foamies -- they look nice and professionally done.

If you want to make operational blade gauntlets for them, I know a guy who makes battery-powered mechanisms. I can make you a couple of mechanisms that extend and retract the gauntlets. Then, you can build your own blades and top covers around them.

Jon

Nice looking paint job there. I really can't tell at all that they're made of foamies -- they look nice and professionally done.

If you want to make operational blade gauntlets for them, I know a guy who makes battery-powered mechanisms. I can make you a couple of mechanisms that extend and retract the gauntlets. Then, you can build your own blades and top covers around them.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. I'm still so early into the building of this suit, I don't know what direction I am going to go in terms of functionality for the components. I think I might be able to convince a good friend of mine who builds electronics for the lightsabers I build to build a module for my costume that can control multiple functions, but that's down the road a ways.

The blade templates have been submitted to a friend of mine who has a laser table, so they ought to be cut pretty soon and I can begin the process of building the blade housing and whatever mechanism I decide on for activation.