Game Of Thrones Con Los Angeles 2022

Dr Jones Sr

Sr Member
Anyone going to the Game Of Thrones Con this weekend?

I'll be there Saturday as Ser Barristan Selmy.

Here's the site

Here's what I'll look like, if you see me on Saturday say "hi" it's cool to meet RPF people in person.

QE3YsZk.jpg

Last edited:
Well done. You definitely nailed it yet again. I can see the match lock on the costume but I am really impressed with the matching facial hair. Did you sculpt a bit? In several of the actors available online photos, you could stand in as him.

Thanks! At the Game Of Thrones Con many people told me I look "just like Barristan" which is nice to hear.

About the boots, they're just inexpensive vinyl Funtasma "Captain" boots which I've weathered.

I have big feet, UK13 or UK14, EU48, US14 or US14.5 depending on maker. The Funtasma "XL" is super comfortable and is actually just a tad large, so I wear thick hiking socks which also helps cushion the feet for long Con days.

The weathering process is very simple. Here are photos:

Left: the boots I've been wearing since 2017 which finally fell apart during Star Wars Celebration 2022, with the new replacement Captain boots showing the ugly plain brown vinyl.

Centre: I stippled "Burnt Sienna" Liquitex paint with a big sea-sponge.

Right: I mixed a pale tan using Liquitex and did a drybrush pass on the first pair (left) suggesting dust and wear, and they generally photographed well, but in some indoor Con lighting they looked a bit pink. So with the second pair (right) I went with a more pale neutral colour which came out looking too white, like snow almost.
I might re-paint them, but I will say with Con lighting they usually photograph well.

VkE0mTr.jpg

About my beard, I just keep it the same for my various cosplays. It's not exactly right especially for Dr Jones Senior (who has his mustache trimmed rather narrow) but it works well enough.

O9bRybq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! At the Game Of Thrones Con many people told me I look "just like Barristan" which is nice to hear.

About the boots, they're just inexpensive vinyl Funtasma "Captain" boots which I've weathered.

I have big feet, UK13 or UK14, EU48, US14 or US14.5 depending on maker. The Funtasma "XL" is super comfortable and is actually just a tad large, so I wear thick hiking socks which also helps cushion the feet for long Con days.

The weathering process is very simple. Here are photos:

Left: the boots I've been wearing since 2017 which finally fell apart during Star Wars Celebration 2022, with the new replacement Captain boots showing the ugly plain brown vinyl.

Centre: I stippled "Burnt Sienna" Liquitex paint with a big sea-sponge.

Right: I mixed a pale tan using Liquitex and did a drybrush pass on the first pair (left) suggesting dust and wear, and they generally photographed well, but in some indoor Con lighting they looked a bit pink. So with the second pair (right) I went with a more pale neutral colour which came out looking too white, like snow almost.
I might re-paint them, but I will say with Con lighting they usually photograph well.

View attachment 1649215

About my beard, I just keep it the same for my various cosplays. It's not exactly right especially for Dr Jones Senior (who has his mustache trimmed rather narrow) but it works well enough.

View attachment 1649224
I love rhe two boot sets solution. I have run into the indoor lighting issue as well but just in studio shots. I had to repaint several outfits for full sun shots because I had painted them originally under LED lighting. Once they were in the sun, they no longer matched. But the hair really surprises me that it isn't trimmed to match because it really works for each character.

the hair really surprises me that it isn't trimmed to match because it really works for each character.
There seems to be a generic "old guy with grey beard" look, and if you have that look there are quite a few characters you can do.

Everybody tells me I should cosplay this guy!

DVf2Qnn.jpg

Vh8dbDj.jpg

I only did one character my first couple years cosplaying, Dr Jones Senior, and I did trim my beard and moustache to match at that time.

But when I started doing other grey-beard characters, a different one each day at multi-day Cons, I had to stick with a generic beard for everybody.

I do still darken my moustache and part of my beard for Dr Jones Senior to simulate Sean Connery's muttonchops colour-pattern that he had at the time Last Crusade was filmed. For Allan Quatermain, I only darken the moustache, due to that being the only dark part left on Sir Sean's beard by the time League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was filmed.

There seems to be a generic "old guy with grey beard" look, and if you have that look there are quite a few characters you can do.

Everybody tells me I should cosplay this guy!

View attachment 1649555

View attachment 1649554

I only did one character my first couple years cosplaying, Dr Jones Senior, and I did trim my beard and moustache to match at that time.

But when I started doing other grey-beard characters, a different one each day at multi-day Cons, I had to stick with a generic beard for everybody.

I do still darken my moustache and part of my beard for Dr Jones Senior to simulate Sean Connery's muttonchops colour-pattern that he had at the time Last Crusade was filmed. For Allan Quatermain, I only darken the moustache, due to that being the only dark part left on Sir Sean's beard by the time League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was filmed.
I vote yes. Definite match.

My target cosplays usually have similar facial structure to one another but I haven't had two with matching or even similar facial hair. It is always my biggest challenge. I follow a process of silhouette first, then color match. I base the silhouette on what the character would look like if drawn by a characature artist (spelling?), like the ones at festivals and theme parks that do quick sketches in black and white. Or similar to felt pad costume facial hair for cheesy plays. The shape of the hairline and facial hair including eyebrows. Only then does anyone say "you remind me of .......".

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back