Galileo at Space Center Houston - July 31, 2013

Search4

We did it!
The unveiling was brilliantly managed by Space Center Houston. They view Galileo as the centerpiece of a collection showing the linkage between science fiction and actual managed space flight. I issued a public challenge - that Galileo needed "friends" and that they should start to enhance the collection showing more of how Sci-Fi, and Star Trek in particular, inspired engineers, doctors, technicians and of course space flight.

Notable to Star Trek fans, Don Marshall from the original Galileo 7 episode gave a speech and announced "This is Galileo!" Robert Picardo, of Voyager, joined as did a number of of other Trek and Sci-Fi actors.

And we had an honest to gosh Astronaut - Mike Fincke, who holds the American record for most time in space. Wow! What an elegant, heroic gentleman.

Of special note, major contributors to the project also flew to Houston to attend, incuding Dave Arland and Will Smith. We are working on a date for Gene Winfield, the original builder, to visit - now THAT would be a reunion.

After the unveiling SCH continued with additional events, and the next day treated the family to a tour of Johnson Space Center. NOTE - this is called the "Level 9 tour" and is not to be missed.

Enjoy the pictures - and let's support Space Center Houston as they begin to build their display/programs linking sci-fi to space travel.
Here's "under the cover"...

And the best part - Galileo appears in a cloud of smoke.

Beauty shot.

Poster for the event to discuss the history and restoration.

Poster for the event showing key contributors.

The crowds...

With Robert Picardo - Thanks Bob!

We took an original piece of Galileo - and a nonused logo exactly like the one on the ship - and made a "celebrity sign in board".

The next day, Galileo was up in Mission Control!

Always cool to get 15 minutes of fame.

The panel, held in one of the large theatres.

And with thanks to our sponsor!!

That's really great, congrats guys, amazing work.

raisesglass.gif

Beautiful! Y'know, what with the love the Galileo and Enterprise restoration projects are getting, it just goes to show what a true artist and master of design Matt Jeffries was. How many other contemporary sci-fi craft have this level of quality?

I love it....I have the model ....its the coolest shuttle ever I think IMO....My father works for Nasa is Huntsville, , and he is going to love this....he only heard this might happen, now its finally a reality....we will have to go see this sometime...fantastic job gentleman to preserve an awesome piece of Sci-fi history

I actually live in Houston, so I'm hoping to get some freinds together to make the pilgramage. I mean I'd have to get down there if it was a replica... but the real THING!!!!

Awesome, just awesome. I have hoped for years what would happen since I last saw the Galileo rotting in the back parking lot at THE INSTITUTE for the BLIND. I could never figure out why it was at a place where in reality nobody could see it.

Thank you again for this WONDERFUL RESTORATION/PRESERVATION of an Iconic PIECE of Artwork.

I went and saw it the day after the unveiling! I wanted to go the unveiling but my friend and I had already taken off work to go to Space City Con that weekend that we couldn't spare the extra day.

It looked amazing!! Y'all did a wonderful job! I am so happy that it found such a good home at the Houston Space Center were it will appreciated by so many people that go through there every day!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back