Galen Erso's Water Test Kit

Saranac

Hi everyone!

I was looking for something unique (and easy, since this was my first solo 'build') and I didn’t come across any previous threads/’builds’, so I thought I would 'give it a go' at creating Galen Erso's Water Testing Kit. I referenced the Rogue One Visual Dictionary and the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, The Official Collector's Edition.

First I needed to figure out the parts. The main part was pretty easy to determine, the Paterson trident viewer. It didn't take too long for a viewer to become available, and when one did, I quickly ordered it. Even if I didn’t figure out the second piece, the viewer would be put to good use.

The second piece took some time. Multiple searches with slightly different wording, and even sometimes the same search, when I thought I was close and that I might have missed a follow on lead. Then finally, there it was!

I have to say; it was super exciting to find a part that wasn’t previously identified (as far as I could tell)! The second piece is the Vorsatz Macro Bellows.

Next up, finding one for sale at a reasonable price and acquiring it. Luckily, I quickly found it on eBay and within days had it in hand. It took some time to complete the painting and weathering due to foul weather and other priorities, but eventually, I finished it. I have only painted and weathered a few items, using techniques that I read about here, so I wasn’t trying to make an exact replica, but one that worked for me. I liked the details on the black plate, so I left it as is.

For the paint, I used rattle cans of Tamiya Racing White (TS-7), Tamiya Matte Black (TS-6). To get the ‘worn’ feel of being used on Lah’mu, I crushed some compressed charcoal and smeared it over the viewer body by hand. This provided a nice layer of grime to replicate the black soil of the planet. I also used black acrylic paint, but not that well, lol. I didn’t weather the bellows, preferring to keep that clean.

For the black bar, I glued several pieces of styrene together and sanded down the edges and used masking fluid to create the streaks. I didn’t build a belt clip as this will only be on display.

Here are the pictures of the completed prop.

dwpPFV+OSDaHAeEQvQpR8g.jpg f39Jm0hIQ8WeL1gS6DyiMA.jpg

Last edited:
You have inspired me. I am going to do this. Got the bellows off ebay and have amassed more viewers over the years than any man should need. Nice to put one to use again.
thanks!

Heh, me too actually. :) Just had to give this one a whirl after seeing this. Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing the knowledge on the found part.

Dan

Appreciate you sharing.

Nicely weathered- using dirt to replicate dirt makes sense.

Now the quest for those slide viewers will really go into overdrive.

You have inspired me. I am going to do this. Got the bellows off ebay and have amassed more viewers over the years than any man should need. Nice to put one to use again.
thanks!

Heh, me too actually. :) Just had to give this one a whirl after seeing this. Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing the knowledge on the found part.

Dan

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how they come out!

Appreciate you sharing.

Nicely weathered- using dirt to replicate dirt makes sense.

Now the quest for those slide viewers will really go into overdrive.

Sure thing!

Thanks!

:(

Great question. Pure luck really. In one of the many searches (for terms other than camera bellows), a few camera bellows showed up. They had similar characteristics to what I was looking for, so I dropped my previous line of searching and started to look at camera bellows. Even then, it took a good number of searches before I came across a picture of the Vorsatz.

Thanks for the inspiration!

5D3_0072_small.jpg
5D3_0073_small.jpg
5D3_0074_small.jpg

I'll take the silver rings off, just left them on for now. I wonder why they took them off for the actual prop? I think it adds some additional visual interest...

Dan

Looks good Dan.

I recently received a broken Trident (glass busted) which I think will work fine for this replica.
Here's the reference from the movie magazine, as I don't have the VD yet.
water tester ref 01.png

Very Nice. I agree. I like it with the rings on. You have reminded me. I must make this.
I guess we don't have any shots of the other side? Looks like yours is black and Saranacs is white on the flipside.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back