Galaxy Rangers Interceptor-Completed

tgreco

Sr Member
If you remember the cartoons from the 80's, the Galaxy Rangers was always one of my favorites, and I credit it with being Proto-Firefly, with it's Western Frontier in Space theme.

I've always loved the show, and most importantly I've always loved the intro. So after searching in vain for a model (there's a paper model available, but it lacks the aggressive look of the ship from the intro)

so after purchasing the series on DVD and screen grabbing as many images of the ship for reference, I did a 3D model of the ship, and then turned that into blue prints

I wanted a studio scale model, but because it's a cartoon, and the size of the ship changed based on who was drawing it, I wound up having to just take a guess at it's actual size, and then decided to do it roughly the same size as a studio scale X-wing

From there I started building

here's progress so far

Last edited:
Re: Galaxy Rangers Interceptor

That ship design is actually pretty cool looking. Whomever did the art design for the ships on that show did a pretty good job all around. Almost like an inverted Viper and X-Wing crossover. A model of that thing would be very nice to see IMHO.

What a great idea for a project! The Galaxy Rangers never get enough credit, you're right. I do recall making the Firefly comparison when it first debuted, but most people thought I was talking about the Power Rangers. lol Keep up the good work!

I decided to ILM up it a bit, with some a touch of exposed pipes and parts.

just a little bit of seam clean up to do, pop in the last details on the engines, and she's ready for paint

Just caught up with this thread.
This is cracking!
Due to it being a cartoon How much of the build would you say is "artist licence" ?

Thanks for the kind words.

And here I was wondering if anyone was really all that interested.

The shape of all the components is as accurate as I can make it, but because the scale of the ship is indeterminable... different artists made the cockpit seem larger or smaller. The details inside the cockpit are placed according to reference, but details vary, so i did what I liked.

I did reference a lot of screen grabs, and in a lot of cases, went with the detail that I liked the most. In the case of the details on the engines, I found pictures of a toy Interceptor that was done, and used that as a reference as well.

The entire back end is artistic interpretation. It should just be flat, with some raised panels. And some of the smaller details, like the pipes on the side are my own touches. So I would say shape-wise it's 100% accurate. Scale wise, I'm as close as I can be 90%+. And detail-wise, everything that should be there is, but I wanted something that had the look of a filming miniature, so I've embellished it to make it more visually interesting.

I'm actually ready for final assembly, so finished pics will be coming soon... Was saving the big finish for my 1000th RPF post.

Well, one thing to keep in mind about model projects is the ones that aren't some version of the Enterprise or an X-Wing don't tend to get quite as much traffic as those that are. The more obscure the project, the less the reply interest (sort of like a quaint out of the way coffee shop versus a bunch of Starbucks outlets). But, if YOU like it and wish to keep pressing on, that is the real reason to tackle something like this.

In my case, while I have never seen Galaxy Rangers, I am still in love with the design of ship as it looks great. And I love the little tweaks you are doing to turn this from a 2D animated ship into a physical 3D object. I can't wait for the paint stage to begin.

And at long last the Galaxy Rangers Interceptor is done....

I wanted this to be my 1000 post... but I'll have to settle for 1001.
(still wondering why it kicked over from 999, even though I didn't post... but oh well)

Hope you all enjoy.

ranger-interceptor01.jpg
ranger-interceptor02.jpg
ranger-interceptor03.jpg
ranger-interceptor04.jpg
ranger-interceptor05.jpg
ranger-interceptor06.jpg
ranger-interceptor07.jpg
ranger-interceptor08.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back