Galaxy Quest Surface Mapper build.

Current status:

IMG_20180713_105615.jpg

I still need to install the metal loops on the handgrips, and the bezel around the switch is currently a 3d printed dummy. I've contacted a machine shop about getting it made in metal, but they say the threading on the switch is some nonstandard size that they can't identify or reproduce. Still trying to figure out what to do about that.

Current things that are bugging the crap out of me:

• The weathering on the replica faceplate appears too heavy/contrasting. How much of the apparant rust coloring on the face as seen planetside is really weathering and how much is a trick of the light? I've tried everything from no weathering to all-over heavy and none of it looks correct. I'm kinda stuck with the amount it has now though as it's sealed under a clear coat.
  • The pink circles are about 10° off of the screen-accurate rotation. I could fix this but I'd have to strip the adhesive off the insert piece and refinish it. Ugh.
  • What, exactly, is the finish of the prop like? Some shots it looks very glossy, others completely matte. I'm assuming it's more on the matte/satin side to prevent glare but then again, photos of screen-used voxes and binoculars reveal that they're quite glossy. I'm going with a dulled-down matte/satin finish, but my gut tells me that may not be right.
  • I know that the strap color isn't right. It came out too dark and not saturated enough. Unfortunately the only strapping I could find with the right thickness was a polyester that just will not take color correctly. It dyes a dark grey beautifully but it's almost impossible to tint it.

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic work. I'm only just starting out with 3D printing and have just started to model my own item. I am in awe of what you've achieved as I'm finding it an extremely steep learning curve so far! Galaxy Quest is one of my favourite movies, and of the only two screen-used items I have in my collection one is from the Protector! I'd love a surface mapper but my modelling skills are quite a way off yet! I still need to build up my vox and nebulizer kits I've been hoarding for years! Again, very well done.

Nice job on this prop!

I guess it’s old news now, but to dull down the finish on the hammered paint I’d just “polish” it with 2000 grit and be done with it.

I’m having similar “liquefaction” issues applying a matte clear over high heat silver paint for the frame of my Dameron blaster. It seems the clear solvent tears into the paint more than others. Both are rust-oleum in my case but the high heat flavor doesn’t like the clear.

I’m still doing it but have to be aware that the silver will begin to flow...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back