Galacticon 4 SEATTLE

nwjedidave

Sr Member
I was thinking about going to see all the re-imagined BSG guests and just read that most of them cancelled to do no rooms available! WTF? How does that happen?

That's GalactiCon's spin. Do some Google-fu and you'll find screen grabs people snagged before GalactiCon pulled all the discussion. Short version: There was major mishandling of money, convention head resigned, and most of the guests were actually disinvited by the con -- as in, told not to come. They didn't cancel. Some of the Original BSG cast have made "we're coming anyway, because the fans and that's what it's all about, after all, right?", but that's either well-intentioned or uninformed cheerleading on their part. The nuBSG cast members who got disinvited responded very quickly "Um, no, they told us they didn't want us after all and not to come". The disinvite was most likely a hasty and poorly-thought-out damage-control attempt when the money fiasco came to light and they didn't have enough to get rooms for everyone they'd booked. It's a trainwreck currently, and the rest of the con committee is trying madly to salvage the con.

--Jonah

What a shame.

I find it odd that NO rooms could be had.

I remember at least one Trek Con in the 70's when one of the Actors, not saying who, stayed at some ones house.

Those were the days!

There were rooms. Notice that they claim they lost their block of rooms at the Westin, yet somehow later one of the organizers met Leah Cairns when they were both checking in to their rooms at the Westin....

Yeah, let me re-emphasize -- there is plenty of hotel space, GalactiCon just mismanaged the money and so didn't/couldn't get them. That in itself isn't a damnable offense, though. It was their attempt to pin the actors' not coming on them, rather than accepting responsibility for it themselves, or asking for help, and anything like that.

--Jonah

I'm sure something COULD have been done if it was just rooms.

Probably a whole lot of other problems going on with this one other than just the Actors not showing up.

If you want to know what one of the actor's experience was, take some time and go through Aaron Douglas' facebook or twitter feed. He and a guy who worked with the con for a time laid out exactly what happened.

:lol Digging it! :lol

Have heard he was a stand up guy.

All of this reminds me of some Trek Cons, especially when creation tried to reign in George Takei, like THAT was gonna happen! :lol

If you want to know what one of the actor's experience was, take some time and go through Aaron Douglas' facebook or twitter feed. He and a guy who worked with the con for a time laid out exactly what happened.

Also Eddie Olmos' Twitter and FB. They've both been pretty vocal about how they were told not to attend, even when they offered to come for free.

--Jonah

I live in Seattle and all this is going on around me right now and what really trips me out is that "Galaticon" got rid of only ALL the Battlestar Galactica actors (from re imagined BSG) but kept everyone else. People pay to go to a Galactica convention to see Galactica actors not Firefly, Lost in Space, Land of the Lost, Babylon 5...WHAT?!

Aaron Douglas is even more awesome than I already knew he was. He posted a while ago that he's booked a room at a downtown hotel, on his own dime, he's packing and coming up, on his own dime, and attending the con, on his own dime, and said people should bring cameras and/or anything they want signed, and he's going to be Tweeting where he is as the day goes on.

--Jonah

Aaron Douglas is even more awesome than I already knew he was. He posted a while ago that he's booked a room at a downtown hotel, on his own dime, he's packing and coming up, on his own dime, and attending the con, on his own dime, and said people should bring cameras and/or anything they want signed, and he's going to be Tweeting where he is as the day goes on.

--Jonah

He did that on Friday. I posted about it in the Find Chief Pub Crawl thread.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back