Galactic Resin 1/72 Clone Wars Y-Wing

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by daverep, May 18, 2012.

1. daverep

daverep Active Member

Hello folks! Just wanted to put up a quick thread of my build of Galactic Resin's (Ray22) Clone Wars Y-Wing. This is a very easy kit to put together and Ray's done a fantastic job making it incredibly easy. (y)thumbsup

First, the kit parts...
    [​IMG]

The only real trimming that needs to be done is to the cockpit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pinning the back fins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ray casted the engines as a solid piece, but I wanted to create more of an engine at the end. So, I drilled out the back ends using a 3/4" paddle bit. I was originally going to use the paddle bit and then drill the middle out using a regular bit. But I really liked the look of the paddle bit.
    [​IMG]

Another modification I decided to do is to shrink the canopy a bit. I wanted it a bit shorter, so I used a hobby saw and cut it down a bit..
    [​IMG]

Did an overall paint on the Y-Wing then taped it up to airbrush the yellow on to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really haven't had the chance to catch hardly any of the Clone Wars episodes, so I was having to search around for stills to figure out the paint scheme. Luckily the Star Wars Clone Wars site had enough to figure out what I wanted to do.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finished paint job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like the Concept X-Wing I did, I thought I'd create some "glass" inside the canopy, so I took some ink jet transparency film, washed off the film that they spray on it and cut out my windows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I screwed up the top of the gun turret when I placed the laser cannons. I should have placed them a bit lower near the bottom. :facepalm

Finished model. One thing I forgot to to take a picture of is the pinning I did on the engines. I wanted to make sure they were stable, so they're pinned to the fuselage.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next is the weathering which is pretty much finished. I'm going to look it over tonight to see if there's anything else I want to do to it. One thing I notice in the production stills is that the texture mapping on the CG models is pretty basic. So I may just leave it as it is. We'll see. I'll post the finished pics tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and would love to hear any comments! Thanks, everyone!

2. daverep

daverep Active Member

Okay, finishing up this thread for those interested. Took a look at the weathering on the Y-Wing and decided that if I did anything more I think I'd just junk it up. So here are the final pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I based most of what I did on a conceptual rendering that was on the Clone Wars section of the Star Wars site. I'm trying to figure out a display for this. It can't be too large because of lack of display space. I was thinking of a section of a Republic Cruiser, but I'm still pretty undecided. Looking for suggestions if anyone has any.

Now on to the next project. Thanks for looking!
    Dave

3. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good.

Always did like this design.

-Mike J.