G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra - Storm Shadow Wakizashi

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
So United Cutlery put out a semi-accurate katana for Storm Shadow from G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. However, Storm Shadow carries a Daisho, one half of which is the katana and the other half being a wakizashi which is roughly 7" shorter than the katana.

I bought two of the katanas and they just came in today.

A single pin holds the grip in place. I took it, and the guard off, then cut down the blade from the back end and refit everything in place. For being my first time modifying a blade, I thought I did pretty good and now have the matching pair. I also cut down the scabbard to fit the wakizashi. All that is left is to reapply the Arashikage clan symbol on the wakizashi.

I don't know why the wakizashi was never offered, but I am actually thinking I might offer this one up and try it again, just because it was actually a fun little project.

Anyway, here is a pic of the wakizashi and the katana.

attachment.php

Very nice art... What did you use to cut the blade down?
Shame the film was what it was... but the characters live on in the original comics :)

-Skyler101

Started by trying to just grind it down, then moved to cut off discs on the dremel. Neither worked very well. Finally went to a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade and then smoothed it out a grinder.

Yeah, the film was pretty bad, but I really liked the designs.

Same throwing stars as well. One thing of interest is that in the first movie, Storm Shadow wears the swords with both blades facing the same direction. In the trailer from the new film, you can see he now wears them in a way that the blades are facing one another. That seems like it would make for a very awkward two handed draw, but then, I am no sword expert.

Somehow I don't think that the films are looking at being practical, although I am looking forward to the sequel given the trailer! :)

I really like what you did with these Art... :)

-Skyler101

As a note, apparently you are supposed to put them in the rack, blade side up, not down. Got corrected about half a dozen times on facebook about it.

Good idea, I'm glad the mod worked out for you, and I have learned from your post and the subsequent research after reading it that I have been displaying my swords wrong for years. I feel kind of disappointed in myself for not knowing before, considering everything I have learned about Fuedal Japan and Samurai culture....so at least I learned something today.

As a note, apparently you are supposed to put them in the rack, blade side up, not down. Got corrected about half a dozen times on facebook about it.

Not just that, but also know what the swords' direction tell about you.

If the swords point to your right, it means you're a peace-loving individual, because it's harder to grab the sword-hilt on the left side with your right hand.

BUT if the swords point to the left (as they are in the pic) it means you're ready to grab them at a moments notice. So, right now you're alert.

*cough*, ok, that was my inane lesson on swords for the day...

Nice job! i remeber drooling over these swords the first time i saw the movie. Are you planning on getting throwing stars from the movie to put on display with it?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back