FX luke lightsaber vs real graflex flash handle

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
HI all
Been toying with the idea of converting my Graflex Reborn saber to one with electronics and blade. Im sure someone has done this before and how hard would it be? How does the Master Replicas Esb compare with a real graflex handle? was thinking of buying one from the 'bay and swapping the electronics. Any advice apreciated

Don't do it, please, the Graflex Reborn is going to become a collector's item on it's own :facepalm ... also I have an empty MR FX ESB hilt here ... from back in the day when I though I could swap parts, in this case the clamp, boy did I learn a quick lesson, the MR FX ESB is a lot fatter than a genuine G R A F L E X ... my advice if you want the lights and sound fx ... get a MR or Hasbro FX ESB lightsaber instead.

Chaim

well the graflex reborn was pretty beat when i got it the bottom is not original at all. the internals are non functional as well. figured it would be no big deal but now that you say that ill just leave it as it is.

The MR ESBs (2004) are quieter and dimmer than other later MRs, take 6 AAs (instead of 3), are way longer than a Graflex and have blown up in price. Bought one for $175 on fleabay a month and 1/2 ago and flipped it for more than twice that 2 weeks later after the 2nd trailer came out. They also don't have a readily available conversion kit to Luxeon (neither do the Luke ANHs).

You'd be better off getting a beat up, cheap and readily available MR Anakin, gut it and get a conversion kit from CSS. Then you'd have a battle ready Graflex Reborn... maybe the only one.

Ha ... well if it's just half a Graflex Reborn and you feel confident to do a Luxeon conversion with a removable blade . . . then by all means . . . go ahead and keep us up to date, with lots of pictures. The only Graflex Reborn I have here is a Darth Vader ROTJ conversion ... just out of curiosity ... does yours also smell quite heavy 'metallic'?

Chaim

We'll never tried anything like that before. So if I get a mr anakan gut it get a conversion kit from the custom saber shop I can fit it in the Graflex?

Don't do it, please, the Graflex Reborn is going to become a collector's item on it's own :facepalm ... also I have an empty MR FX ESB hilt here ... from back in the day when I though I could swap parts, in this case the clamp, boy did I learn a quick lesson, the MR FX ESB is a lot fatter than a genuine G R A F L E X ... my advice if you want the lights and sound fx ... get a MR or Hasbro FX ESB lightsaber instead.

Chaim

Out of couriosity...why is the GR a collectors item?

I owned (and probaly still own) most incarnations of the Graflex, that have been made available over the years...
- Larbel
- Graflex Reborn
- Biskit
- Parks

but didn´t see any of these replicas with a special collectors value!?

Back when GR lef the market, I purchased most of their remaining stock and build a couple of sabers for friends and customers. I also have one matte brass/ nickel plated GR Graflex (but with pristine, chromed clamp, lense and button), that I always wanted to convert with wooden grips.

Markus

I did not say it's a collector's item yet, I merely suggested it could become a collector's item. That said, OdiWan72, I'm quite impressed by your present collection of all the different kinds of G R A F L E X replicas made over the years . . . and eventhough you might not give it a second thought . . . there's always collectors out there who might be interested and offer a pretty penny even for those, especially in the lights of the upcoming new feature film with a rekindled interest for the G R A F L E X as a lightsaber prop :)

Chaim

We'll never tried anything like that before. So if I get a mr anakan gut it get a conversion kit from the custom saber shop I can fit it in the Graflex?

Somebody that has done it will have to chime in, though it would be your best bet because the MR Anakin is the closest in diameter. All of them are slightly bigger around as they take 7/8" rather than 3/4" blades as the Graflexes do. Also keep in mind that, save for a few exceptions, MRs come with a Jedi or a Sith soundboard, so no advantage to getting one model over another for parts as long as you want 4 clash sounds (Jedi) vs. 1 (Sith). The advantage to going the MR route is that all the components - sound board, motion sensors (swing and clash), power pack, speaker and even polycarbonate blade are there to be reused. There is a busted up MR Anakin in fleabay now with bidding at $45 and a day left. Search for :

Master Replicas 2005 Blue Anakin Skywalker Force FX Lightsaber

and you'll see it.

The Graflexshop.com sells Graflex blade socket adapters and glass eye blade retaining screws. Theoretically a MR Anakin donor, Lux and heat sink from CSS, blade socket adapter and retaining screw from graflexshop and I'd go with an ultraedge blade from Ultrasabers.com and you'd be in business.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back