FX Lightsaber help

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm trying to replace the switch on an ANH ESB Luke FX lightsaber from 2004. It's got a switch with four wires and the board with the switch attached is labeled like this:

1 4
3 2

It seems to be wired correctly, but I'm not getting anything out of it when it functioned before. Does anyone know how, or which wires, I would check the switch to see if power is going through it? I don't know anything about electronics, but I know my dad has one of those testers with the two probes and a bulb in the middle. He might have a tester that is more advanced as well. No idea what they are called because like I said no electronics experience.

Search is the first thing I tried. Here's a pic:

HXgeqDL.jpg

That looks similar, but mine doesn't have the blue filter on the blade, it looks white/clear when it's off. I did go check and my dad does have a digital multimeter. I just need to know what to probe.

Hey Sluis Van Shipyards ! Without seeing the rest of the switch, and not being an expert, this is just a guess, but it seems to be a Dual Pole, Dual Throw Switch.

In the OFF position, no current should pass through any of the wires attached to the board.

In the ON position, current should pass through the wires.

The tricky part in the ON position, is whether the wires are in pairs (two positive, two negative), or I suppose it could be three positive and one negative wire.

If it's pairs, I would guess it's 1 and 3 as one pair (a positive and a negative) and 4 and 2 as the other pair (a positive and a negative). With the switch in the on position you could probe 1 and 3. If current passes through it, it's likely a pair. If you then probe 4 and 2, and current passes through them, then it's another pair. If it doesn't pass through 4 and 2, test 4 with 3, and 2 with 3. If current passes through them now, then 3 is your negative and the other three wires are your positive.

Remember, it could be that 1 and 4 are a pair, 3 and 2 could be a pair, 1 and 2 could be a pair, and 4 and 3 could be a pair, and any one of them could be a negative and the other three could be positves.

Hopefully you took photos of the board while the other two wires were attached to it so that you can trace back to whatever devices all the wires were attached to.

Knowing that should help you create a wiring diagram. Once you have that, and you know what direction the energy is flowing in, you can then begin to diagnose why it isn't flowing properly.

Also, if you know what the exact brand and model of lightsaber it is, it will help you search for other threads where people may have had the same problems in other boards like TheRebelArmory, FX-Sabers, and TheCustomSaberShop forums, or even videos on YouTube.

I hope this helps some, even if it is just moral support. ;) I know electrical wire problems can be very frustrating, just keep testing, and keep good notes on your results!

Good Luck! And May The Current Be With You!

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I did actually forgot what wires were what since it's been sitting around, but I found a wiring diagram so I'm pretty sure I got them sorted.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back