fx armor?

.....a custom sculpted helmet/armor...the helmet is oversized and the details are not film accurate. But it was a relatively cheap and plentiful alternative to the much more expensive accurate armor.....most of the 501st guys use it......always a couple of kits on ebay....

.....check Jez's site....www.starwarshelmets.com for a complete list of pix & differences.....

THe FX armor, despite the differences from the screen used armor is very nice. Thick ABS, plastic with a glossy finish. As a kit, its pretty easy to put together, and 90% of the 501st have this 'brand' of armor. The public love seeing the troopers out in it. It's designed to fit an adult person of average height and weight. Say, 5'5" to 6'2" from 150-200 lbs, out of the box, with only minor mods to fit the different sizes. If you are in this height/weight range, then you could wear it. The shorter you are, the bigger the helmet looks. Its about 10-15% larger than a movie accurate helmet, but thats not all bad. You can cram in fans, FRS and PA systems easily.

Don't let the nay-sayers poo-poo on the FX armor. It is nice. And for a long time, was about all you could get. Now, with the ABS-80 armor, GINO, GF, and TE armor sets out there, you have options, but none will be in the same price range. $550 for the GT/FX armor, and everything else starts at $800 and up.

A lot of guys take an AP or ABS-80 helmet, and upgrade that, and it looks a lot better.

IMHO.

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 13 2006, 08:21 AM
.....unless he/she has a gigantic head, I would say no......
[snapback]1157842[/snapback]​

He could always go as a "Bobblehead dash ornament Stormtrooper." :)

If I ever did a TK costume, I'd probably have to use the FX helmet. My head won't fit into any of the 90% sized Don Post helmets, and might not fit into the larger TK helmets either. I wear a MSH fiberglass Boba helmet, and it fits fine. It's 1:1, though. I guess maybe the other TK helmets would fit, provided they were 1:1 and not smaller like the DPs. :D

The FX armor isn't that bad. I know a ton of people who wear it, and when you get 15 of them together at an event, you really stop noticing the inaccuracies. I guess it's more "realistic" in numbers or something... ;)

Originally posted by Bowelrock@Jan 13 2006, 07:19 PM
Could someone post a link to wer I can get a set of FX armor> Thanks .
[snapback]1158190[/snapback]​

You might ask to have someone PM you.

i will say this about the fx kit...i have one and if you have any muscle in your calves, forearms or bicepts be prepared for it to not fit you without heavy modifications

Ok, "here we go again". LOL :p Another soon to be "George Lucas LIKES FX Armor, but what does he know, he only wrote the movies, he's no prop maker.?" threads. At least that is what 90% of these ones turn into.

I am actualy SHOCKED at how many positive comments have been said so far about FX armor.

FX armor is Stormtrooper armor that is FANTASTIC and GREAT for trooping. If you look deep enuf you will find at least 9,000,000 threads of people saying comments like the following...

"I wish the 501st would come to thier senses and buy blah-blah armor"
"This armor sucks it is no where NEAR screen accurate"
"Boble head this, and Bobble head that."

Stuff like that. And you will hear these comments form long time and well respected members of the RPF. And thus feel it your duty to believe every word.

In the long run you will find just as many die hard negh sayers as you will supporters of FX armor.

Alot of it comes down to, are you looking for 100% screen accurate? (Hope you are skinny and only about 5'10" and have a tiny head if you plan to wear it), or do you want something damn good enuf, with room to have fans and a built in microphone, ipod, clock, and can wear it for 6 hours straight without a break? So I must warn all new comers... Use :"free will" use YOUR best judgment.....

THIS is FX ARMOR...

Judge for yourself if it is "good enuf" for you.

pic4pz.jpg

pic21sb.jpg

pic33xj.jpg

pic45vu.jpg

pic57uv.jpg

i never said it wasnt any good...i use it in the 501st myself...but being 6' and not a skinny guy...you need to make serious mods for it to fit you in those areas...shim shim...i like the armor because of my size. if i went with something else i wouldnt look right cause im such a big guy...i definatley do not look like a bobble head in my armor

"Alot of it comes down to, are you looking for 100% screen accurate? (Hope you are skinny and only about 5'10" and have a tiny head if you plan to wear it)" looks like i was born to be a trooper or a drag queen..... :lol

I've had my armor for 4 years now. When I wear it, people in public freak out and take my picture, ask if it was used in the movies, ask if I work for LFL, try to hire me for their 5 year old's birthday party, have girls hang all over me (or the armor, at least) for photos, and have to field three hundred "where did you get it" questions.

I'll let that speak for itself.

I do no that when I bought an "accurate" helmet kit, I had to resell it once I tried a friends on. I couldn't fit it over my big noggin. FX looks right on me.

Scott

Originally posted by SithLord7768@Jan 15 2006, 02:09 AM
i never said it wasnt any good...i use it in the 501st myself...but being 6' and not a skinny guy...you need to make serious mods for it to fit you in those areas...shim shim...i like the armor because of my size.  if i went with something else i wouldnt look right cause im such a big guy...i definatley do not look like a bobble head in my armor
[snapback]1159568[/snapback]​

....I'm 6'4" 250lbs and the FX kit fit me with some shimming. But I used it mostly for display. However, I've since sold both my FX kits for something more screen accurate.
As I and others have said, it depends on the degree of accuracy that you're looking for and your budget....

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Jan 15 2006, 05:13 AM
"Alot of it comes down to, are you looking for 100% screen accurate? (Hope you are skinny and only about 5'10" and have a tiny head if you plan to wear it)" looks like i was born to be a trooper or a drag queen..... :lol
[snapback]1159630[/snapback]​

no, i am 5' give or take, and 100 pounds, 2% of which is muscle...not saying i am fat, but not a swedish male super star...

i was lookin at some helmets...

i wanna be a stormtrooper...........

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

..... i am not big enough though

bow to my crying minions.

Not to dis the FX stuff, but I have a TE set that I wore to C3 with absolutely no problems, but someone I was standing in a line with had an FX suit, that just about fell apart with every step they took. I'm not the tallest guy, but I was able to mod my suit enought to make it look OK without the mods destroying the look of the original armor.

You want to contact RE; I believe he has info on a childsize TK...but it won't be cheap.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back