fx armor?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Star Wars Man, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

what is fx armor and why are there so many threads on like imporving it...

2. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

.....a custom sculpted helmet/armor...the helmet is oversized and the details are not film accurate. But it was a relatively cheap and plentiful alternative to the much more expensive accurate armor.....most of the 501st guys use it......always a couple of kits on ebay....

.....check Jez's site....www.starwarshelmets.com for a complete list of pix & differences.....

3. Star Wars Man

um, custom, could that fit a 12 year old?

4. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

.....unless he/she has a gigantic head, I would say no......

5. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

THe FX armor, despite the differences from the screen used armor is very nice. Thick ABS, plastic with a glossy finish. As a kit, its pretty easy to put together, and 90% of the 501st have this 'brand' of armor. The public love seeing the troopers out in it. It's designed to fit an adult person of average height and weight. Say, 5'5" to 6'2" from 150-200 lbs, out of the box, with only minor mods to fit the different sizes. If you are in this height/weight range, then you could wear it. The shorter you are, the bigger the helmet looks. Its about 10-15% larger than a movie accurate helmet, but thats not all bad. You can cram in fans, FRS and PA systems easily.

Don't let the nay-sayers poo-poo on the FX armor. It is nice. And for a long time, was about all you could get. Now, with the ABS-80 armor, GINO, GF, and TE armor sets out there, you have options, but none will be in the same price range. $550 for the GT/FX armor, and everything else starts at $800 and up.

A lot of guys take an AP or ABS-80 helmet, and upgrade that, and it looks a lot better.

IMHO.

6. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

He could always go as a "Bobblehead dash ornament Stormtrooper." :)

7. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

If I ever did a TK costume, I'd probably have to use the FX helmet. My head won't fit into any of the 90% sized Don Post helmets, and might not fit into the larger TK helmets either. I wear a MSH fiberglass Boba helmet, and it fits fine. It's 1:1, though. I guess maybe the other TK helmets would fit, provided they were 1:1 and not smaller like the DPs. :D

The FX armor isn't that bad. I know a ton of people who wear it, and when you get 15 of them together at an event, you really stop noticing the inaccuracies. I guess it's more "realistic" in numbers or something... ;)

8. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Could someone post a link to wer I can get a set of FX armor> Thanks .

9. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

You might ask to have someone PM you.

10. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Coudl someone PM me the info :lol THanks ;)

11. JDFett

JDFett Active Member

i will say this about the fx kit...i have one and if you have any muscle in your calves, forearms or bicepts be prepared for it to not fit you without heavy modifications

12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, "here we go again". LOL :p Another soon to be "George Lucas LIKES FX Armor, but what does he know, he only wrote the movies, he's no prop maker.?" threads. At least that is what 90% of these ones turn into.

I am actualy SHOCKED at how many positive comments have been said so far about FX armor.

FX armor is Stormtrooper armor that is FANTASTIC and GREAT for trooping. If you look deep enuf you will find at least 9,000,000 threads of people saying comments like the following...

"I wish the 501st would come to thier senses and buy blah-blah armor"
    "This armor sucks it is no where NEAR screen accurate"
    "Boble head this, and Bobble head that."

Stuff like that. And you will hear these comments form long time and well respected members of the RPF. And thus feel it your duty to believe every word.

In the long run you will find just as many die hard negh sayers as you will supporters of FX armor.

Alot of it comes down to, are you looking for 100% screen accurate? (Hope you are skinny and only about 5'10" and have a tiny head if you plan to wear it), or do you want something * good enuf, with room to have fans and a built in microphone, ipod, clock, and can wear it for 6 hours straight without a break? So I must warn all new comers... Use :"free will" use YOUR best judgment.....

THIS is FX ARMOR...

Judge for yourself if it is "good enuf" for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JDFett

JDFett Active Member

i never said it wasnt any good...i use it in the 501st myself...but being 6' and not a skinny guy...you need to make serious mods for it to fit you in those areas...shim shim...i like the armor because of my size. if i went with something else i wouldnt look right cause im such a big guy...i definatley do not look like a bobble head in my armor

14. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

"Alot of it comes down to, are you looking for 100% screen accurate? (Hope you are skinny and only about 5'10" and have a tiny head if you plan to wear it)" looks like i was born to be a trooper or a drag queen..... :lol

15. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

I've had my armor for 4 years now. When I wear it, people in public freak out and take my picture, ask if it was used in the movies, ask if I work for LFL, try to hire me for their 5 year old's birthday party, have girls hang all over me (or the armor, at least) for photos, and have to field three hundred "where did you get it" questions.

I'll let that speak for itself.

I do no that when I bought an "accurate" helmet kit, I had to resell it once I tried a friends on. I couldn't fit it over my big noggin. FX looks right on me.

Scott

16. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....I'm 6'4" 250lbs and the FX kit fit me with some shimming. But I used it mostly for display. However, I've since sold both my FX kits for something more screen accurate.
    As I and others have said, it depends on the degree of accuracy that you're looking for and your budget....

17. Star Wars Man

no, i am 5' give or take, and 100 pounds, 2% of which is muscle...not saying i am fat, but not a swedish male super star...

18. Star Wars Man

i was lookin at some helmets...

i wanna be a stormtrooper...........

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

..... i am not big enough though

bow to my crying minions.

19. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

Not to dis the FX stuff, but I have a TE set that I wore to C3 with absolutely no problems, but someone I was standing in a line with had an FX suit, that just about fell apart with every step they took. I'm not the tallest guy, but I was able to mod my suit enought to make it look OK without the mods destroying the look of the original armor.

20. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You want to contact RE; I believe he has info on a childsize TK...but it won't be cheap.

21. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd like to see some process of just scanning a real ANH helmet and enlarging it for people who'd like a larger helmet for fans or just a more comfortable fit. I don't care for the shape of the FX helmet. It kind of reminds me of a stormtrooper with down syndrome. I am aware of all of the positive things about FX armor and I'm glad its around for many reasons. It is durable, shiny, economical, and accurate enough for any kid to know its a stormtrooper. Having the fun is all that matters. I do share the sentiment that it would look amazing if the trooping events were all accurate troopers but that would also require larger budgets and costumers small enough to enjoy the fit of the accurate suits. I think it would be cool to have an ABS80 suit for trooping events for the same reason that FX suits are around. I wouldnt want to risk damaging a more expensive accurate bumpy nasty piece of crap that is a TE. :lol
    I think for the money the FX is the best deal, but the ABS80 may be changing my mind.

Josh

22. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey I'm all for your guys. i am 6'6" in those pics. Fits just fine. And i can wear it for 6 hours straight if need be. I'll suffer come hour 4 and on, but it is worth it for the kids.

23. JDFett

JDFett Active Member

i dont think the height is the problem for most...its the circumference...my forearms, bicepts and calves were too big around for the fx kit...i had to make a mod to wear it...the first attempt was a whole lot of shims and bondo to make the ridges look right...worked good for about 10 troops..then a had the wonderful cracking of the bondo...so i just spent another 135 bucks to replace those parts, along with a new set of thighs...the only other way i can get the finished look i want is a new idea im trying out.

i glue the two pieces together and then make a straight cut down the inside part of the piece (inside of the leg..inside of the arm (where it can not be seen as much) then i plan to attach some white stretch material in the gap which will allow the piece to stretch comfortably to my size...not sure how it will work but i'll keep you posted on the outcome

24. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Ummm... Dean O is well over 6' and a BIG BOY yet he wears TE armor better than most people wear their FX. There is plenty of room in the screen accurate helmets for fans, mics, etc. Now if you are wanting to put your la-z-boy recliner in there as well... that can only be done with the FX helmet. I know you are very pro-fx and that is fine, but lets not be so against the screen-accurate stuff that you drive people away from it with inaccuracies like the skinny/5'10" comment. What it really comes down to is accuracy and longevity. The screen-accurate armor is well.. much closer to what is seen on screen, but because of the type of material and thickness it is built from it is not as durable as the FX, however, that doesn't mean it is like wearing an eggshell. It won't fall to pieces on your first or even your 20th trooping event.

25. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is a photo of me in my Stormtrooper armor at Comic Con. I am 6' and 190lbs. It could fit me a bit better if I were skinnier but the armor is forgiving enough, as you can see. I also have a big head and I have trouble fitting into some hats and I fit into the helmet. I love TE armor.

26. Star Wars Man

is there anything that will fit a 13 year old? well 13 iin april

27. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IS that TE armor? Holy you look awesome.

28. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

animetronic you posted that pic before and I truly think it is one of the coolest pics I have seen of a fan in armour.

It looks like you just walked of the ESB film set :) .

:thumbsup

Cheers Chris.

29. Star Wars Man

i wanna be stormtrooper, or clone, or vader, or bobba, or jango........

is there ANY costumes out there?

30. voice in the crowd

How about a Jawa or an Ewok that might do you until you are big enough for TK armour :) .

Cheers Chris.

31. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

Sounds like a problem with the armor wearer - not the armor. As I said, I've been wearing FX for four years and I've never had anything fall off me. If you put it together without taking shortcuts, you'll be fine.

Scott

32. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree, my f/x armour has been through the wringer more then once, including multiple trips in cars and crammed into crowded spaces. The helmets have been dropped too many times to count and yet the armour still holds up. She dun look death star pristine, but you KNOW this armour has seen some use against rebel scum.

33. TMP

TMP Sr Member

Its funny when people ask for screen accurate..

Because in allot of cases were people in fact is offering something screen or very close to screen accurate people tend to disappear... If you show of something that is very nice or very good like armor FX people complain about accuracy.. And if anyone were to deliver a screen accurate prop like the original was made that poor guy would almost get killed because it would not live up to peoples expectations.

People tend to IMAGINE that the stuff on Star Wars was flawless.. Its not. You can se this if you look at the original movie before it was CGI redone for the DVD. I have no intention putting anybody down but its frustrating that people complain about other peoples DV products and they own a Rubies Supreme Vader for example.

And if somebody offer accuracy for some items they don't speak up because they think the price is to high or something else is the case but if they se something else is wrong they make a allot of screaming about it.. And if it done something about it to fix it .... Then those people who demanded the "upgrade" are silent.

I my self have a Armor FX.. I love it.. I am 6.2 tall with a 36 waist and almost 200 lbs... I did minor modifications to mine and I LOVE IT. However I also love the GF and other versions... But they do not fit me and my intention is to wear it.

My motto is: Its no need to make 1 feather into 10 Chickens.

34. Star Wars Man

ya, can someone gimme a link for fx armor?

35. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....do a search for "stormtrooper armor" on ebay...always a kit or two for auction....

36. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

let's see how many FX threads i can reply to tonight. ;)

in my experience, the average star wars fan can't tell the difference between the different troopers.

take a look at this pic:
    [​IMG]

this is SithLord7768 and i at a photo shoot. he's on the left, i'm on the right.

he's got an FX kit modded up to fit him better, it's all painted, and the helmet has had a ton of things done to it beyond the instructions.

i'm in an FX suit, with an AP helmet painted in "not ANH" style, and "not ANH" style handbacks.

the model in the middle never once made fun of his big head :p

seriously though, most people would look at us and see stormtroopers. people here will look at the pics and see a million inaccuracies in both of them, but at the end of the day, people will love both.

i think of it sort of like a computer... buy the most expensive one you're willing to spend the money on. ;)

37. Star Wars Man

i like his helmet better...he he

38. Star Wars Man

alright, dont sa ebay, someone gimme a link for fx armor

39. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

easy killer......try gotarmor.com

40. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

If you want armor, do some google searches, or ask for someone to PM you info. Forgive us here, but these type of questions are a dime a dozen.

41. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

gotarmor.com is still "hiding". Their main page has a message stating "This site will remain closed until further notice", and it's been up for more than a week now.

42. JDFett

JDFett Active Member

she never made fun of my big head cause she was too busy grabbing the backside of my under armor... :$

43. Star Wars Man

well i emailed richies armor but he hasnt come back yet, it has been like a 1 and a half

44. Star Wars Man

550 for mini stormtrooper armor

45. voice in the crowd

I take it by your post you don't find that a reasonable price.

The price will reflect the time and effort put in by the manufacturer, recouping his money spent on the project and the man hours spent actually producing the item + materials.

The amount of mini suits sold will be much less than normal sized armour so the less chance of getting his money back hence the higher price.

I don't find this to be a very high price if you considering these things and take them into account.

You should possibly keep who you are talking to and pricing of items between yourself and the vendor after all these items are unlicensed and LFL do take people to court for this kind of thing.

Possibly stick to emails and PMs as the buying and selling of unlicensed props can be like skating on thin ice.

I know things can be frustrating when you want something badly and you aren't getting it as fast as you want. A bit of patience and doing your homework on the item and hopefully you will eventually get what you seek :)

Cheers Chris.

46. Star Wars Man

o ya, srry everyone, and ya that is high, but that is the only guy who does mini armor so i guess it isnt off an asembly line or easy to make, if i had alot of money i would do it, but instead of having a job and being involved with props, i am 13 years old and involved with props....

47. voice in the crowd

Don't worry Star Wars Man you won't always be 13 (time flies when you are having fun) so don't get too disheartened. There are plenty of people about who are willing to help out with great tips and information so maybe until you get the props you want you can learn more about them and really know what you want when the time comes.

Good luck to you and hope things go well for you in the future :) .

Cheers Chris.

48. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

well, it's definitely a rough hobby to get into if you don't have much of a budget to work on. $550 isn't a bad price for armor, especially the smaller stuff. i don't imagine you'll get it for much less than that unless you get REALLY lucky.

you could always get something to tide you over a bit... maybe work on a scratch-built E-11? that will take quite a while, and you can save your $$ up while you tweak it.

49. Star Wars Man

i am working on a e11, and no offense you guys, dont tell me how great it is and live out ur childhood, i know my childhood is awesome and it wont be so great once i am an adult but plez, stop reminiding me.

50. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Since your on a limited budget , you can piece it together.
    A dealer on ebay sells it by the piece.

Or maybe you can find someone here on the board with some bad or thin pulls that may help you out.

Remember this , you will outgrow it eventually so I wouldn't worry about it being perfect.
    You can make a battle damaged or Sandtrooper that can hide a lot of imperfections out of bad pulls with a little work ;)