Future or Pledge Floor Finish....

I've used Future as a clear coat on both enamel and lacquer paints with great success and the results are outstanding. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way, to not use Future on water based paints. Beautiful shine, but caused the paint to crack and craze.

I've used Future as a clear coat on both enamel and lacquer paints with great success and the results are outstanding. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way, to not use Future on water based paints. Beautiful shine, but caused the paint to crack and craze.

Did you find that happened straight away, or did it take some time? I'm asking because I've used it over the top of Tamiya acrylics recently with no problems. It's been on for a few months and looks fine so far. I'd be gutted if it goes wrong...

The cracking and crazing happened within the first 24-48 hours. I believe I was using Tamiya acrylics as well. Now, this is going back 7-8 years ago, so perhaps the formula has changed for the better. It happened on two car models that I made. A 1962 Corvette for racing a scale 1/4 mile strip and the other was a conversion of a 1957 Ford Fairlane 2 door to a 1958 Meteor 4 door. Both used the same paint colors, a metallic blue/green and white. As I mentioned earlier, the gloss coat was amazing. Sprayed it straight out of the bottle through my airbrush. Ended up with a hard durable surface that just needs a quick wipe with a micro-fibre glass cleaning cloth to remove the dust and right back to that beautiful gloss coat again.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back