Futurama Doomsday Device

JeffJenkins

This is my first post, so I apologize if I do something wrong, I'm not sure if this should go here or general modeling

This is the doomsday device from the Futurama episode "Time Keeps on Slippin'" the one that implodes all those chronitons. The sphere and spires are solid anodized aluminum and the face plate and little ball things are brass. The one in the show is about the size of a basketball, this is closer to a baseball, so about 1/3 scale.

vsReference.jpg 3-4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a build log or much in the way of progress shots, but I can share an anecdote. I was able to find an aluminum sphere that was the right size online, so I thought it would be fairly easy to do, but this is what i got sent:
12140037_10153040481607385_5121357876888379823_o.jpg
There was some obvious pitting but it looked like I'd be able to hide the worst of it in the areas I was going to machine. I didn't realize how extensive the pitting was until after I was finished machining and I tried to polish it.
DSC_0140.JPG
I finally gave up on it when I tried to anodize it and a big dark splotch showed up on the front.
DSC_0138.JPG
I didn't want to get burned buying another sphere so I got a cylinder and turned that into a sphere, which took a while since I don't have access to a lathe.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back