Fusion 360 help?

xl97

Master Member
I have (re)started my journey of learning Fusion 360 for 3D modeling...

I have watched some tutorials... and have a 'basic' understanding of the Interface... and how to 'model from scratch' (so to speak: ie: sketches, bodies..etc)

What I have NOT found is any tutorials on getting started on EDITING existing models.. specifically of the .stl type

I have successfully opened the .stl file.. and converted it to a 'body' for editing...

Here are my questions:

1.) Since I had to:

* disable timeline
* reduce mesh count (to be under 50k)
* converted mesh to BREP

I am concerned how this affects the details of the .stl?

In this particular example.. I am using an existing (free) .stl model that has threads in it.

Will doing this conversion of MESH to BREP mess with the quality/precision of those threads that are supposed to fit/mate to a 2-liter bottle threading? (TCO 1881 to be exact for TPI specs)

These are supposed to be 'air tight' in the end,...so I dont want to do things that mess with the 'quality' of the threads on the custom 'cap'... :)

2.) Once I do have a solid 'body' to work with.. what would be the best way to 'cut' the top portion off? (split body?)

* I tried that.. it basically crashed my browser/machine.. LOL..

update: yikes.. I see I posted this in the replica props forum.. please move to better suited forum if needed.

thanks!

Last edited:
sadly there is no real way to edit stl files in f360... fusion isnt really a polygon editing tool but is more like a nurb and shape modeling tool... What i tend to do when im working with stl files, is import them and then rebuild the model using them as reference.

Welcome to the problem with STL as a file format.

Honestly if I need to edit an STL say to remove some of it, put a hole through etc, I just use TinkerCAD. Basic and usually does the job.

Well.... its really the 'threads' that are the main concern.

I know there is the threading tool/stuff.. but that is more for 'screw/nuts/bolts'...etc.. and not an entry for 2-liter bottle/caps (pco 1881) specs.

I found a .stl on thingiverse..

This is (almost) 100% exactly what I need:

I would just need to make some 'edits' because I need to fit 2x push fittings.. that are 1/4" each... (just like you see.. but a bit bigger, and one needs to be a through-hole/bulkhead type pushfitting...the other is just to push air in.. so can just end at the 'top' like you see in that current model)

I figured I could just add/enlarge a portion between the 'cap/lip' and the 'knob/handles' (as well as trim the handles down a bit too) ;) to make room for these to be spaced apart.. or even have one threaded hole moved to the 'side' for example..

something like that should be really easy to remake with fusion modeling tools... Import the stl into the project and just use it as reference remaking the parts... If youre having trouble do you want me to have a try?

" omething like that should be really easy to remake with fusion modeling tools "... HAHAHA... maybe for someone used to using Fusion 360 perhaps. not for someone that has never used it before. ;)

Anyways,... trying to use the .stl model was an issue. :(

I could import it.. and get it to a BREP/solid body object.. but couldnt seem to 'edit it'.. (it would crash out each time. I attempt to 'split body'.. maybe thats the wrong command to 'cut it in half?)

anyways.. I found a .f3d source of the pco 1881 threads. (not something you can do in F360 using any of the thread/hole tools/panels)..

and then built around it...

My first 3D model ever! (no laughing!) :)

* as a last step I combined/merged all my bodies together.. (not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing?)

mockup_idea.jpg

multi_view.jpg

split_view.jpg

Attachments

• mockup_idea.jpg
    mockup_idea.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 60
  • multi_view.jpg
    multi_view.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back