Functional Pip-boy 3000 Mk IV from Fallout 4

Voltaire Surge: Life, life uhh... finds a way of getting in the way. Actually what has been taking my time is getting my VR room up and running. VR exercise is my method for keeping my back in action. When my back hurts I don't want to do anything at all, so it was important to get it so I can jump into VR as easy as getting on a exercise machine. I still need to paint the room, but it is coming together.

I am done playing Fallout 76, at least until a patch or twelve. And some time was lost to Hitman 2. I did a 100% run of Hitman 1, but I don't think I will for Hitman 2, they made the number of sub-missions huge for each map.

Qumair84:
The LCD screen is the biggest electronics unknown right now. I have a working screen, and it can be purchased from China. However, driving the screen from a Pi requires a custom driver which is theoretically possible, but so far I haven't seen anyone drive any other unoffical DSI type display from a Pi.

So as a backup plan, I have a cheaper parallel LCD type display. At 3.5" and 640x480 it won't be as accurate as the AMOLED display, but it would be more straight forward to wire up, and a proven method.

However, wiring a parallel LCD to a Pi requires a ton of I/O Pins. Almost every pin on a Pi Zero would be required. So I can stick to the more pin dense CM3, or use a MSP430 as a sub-processor and pin extender.

Currently I am leaning towards using the MSP430, as any circuits and software I design for it can be re-used in other projects. For example, in making a Radiation King radio. In theory the MSP430 circuits could be used to make a dumbed down version without the LCD screen.

Are you getting one of those fancy quad track platforms?

Yeah i tfied playing Fo76 since the official launch but it was just too buggy. And the ever present feeling of "whatever i do doesnt matter at all" kept sitting there in my mind. Like theres no one to help, no towns to discover, at least living towns, amd just the sheer broken state of the game kept me from exploring passed level 20.

@Voltage Surge: No. I even one did a job interview at Vitruix Omni, as I knew their chief electrical engineer. I tried it out and was less than impressed by the ackwardness of shuffling in place.

It's good that I didn't get the job as they got some funding a few months later and laid off almost everyone and moved most their operation overseas.

AndoShinobi, Thanks!

---
Small project update:
I just have been doing other things. I seem to cycle between gaming/working on my house/real-life and when I get enough down time my personal design projects. Also the busier I am at work, the less I want to go home and do the same, so I game.

The next step is to get the Dosimeter PCB completed and ordered. Once that is proven to work, I can integrate much of it into the Pip-Boy.

Last edited:
Nice work. Joined the RPF to see you complete this prop.
I'm trying to get a 2000 MkVI to printable stage, using Victhor's model on Thingiverse. It's a time consuming process and I haven't even started on the electronics.

Can someone please point me at a site where I can download a "working" copy of Adafruit's Pip-Boy UI disk image for Raspberry Pi?
Cheers.

Can someone please point me at a site where I can download a "working" copy of Adafruit's Pip-Boy UI disk image for Raspberry Pi?
Cheers.

The closest working one is from sabas1080. It does work, even on the RPi 3B, A+ and latest Pi Zero.

It's in a horrible state though - as well as every other one I found online. All of them are incomplete, and development just fell off a cliff as the author either lost interest or ran into technical issues. One nasty one was an app that depended on Google APIs for maps that dead-ended after Google went to a paid model for one of the essential functions.

I'm working with it over the past week and started updating it with Fallout 4 graphics. It's not an easy job - lacking artwork, I got ahold of the Pipboy app and extracted everything I needed. Then coded up new stuff to load the animated graphics in place of blank screens and static images. Animations are present for all 80-some-odd perks, all the specials, and the VaultBoy uses the different heads and injured body types. Music and in-game audio for Galaxy News Radio, New Vegas Radio, Enclave, and Mojave Music.

Here's some lousy images I grabbed from a video a short while ago. Needs a bit of cosmetic and a few performance fixes.

[Images removed by request]

Last edited:
Cheers. I'm wanting to to adapt Adafruit's GUI for a 2000 Mk.VI using a 5" display. It's still in the planning stage and I didn't want to continue without knowing some of the resources I need will be available. I've just finished some basic Python tutorials, not too bad, I did all my programming in Pascal when I was at Uni. Similarly I'm teaching myself Fusion360. Slow, but I'm getting there.
I look forward to hearing how you go.

The closest working one is from sabas1080. It does work, even on the RPi 3B, A+ and latest Pi Zero.

It's in a horrible state though - as well as every other one I found online. All of them are incomplete, and development just fell off a cliff as the author either lost interest or ran into technical issues. One nasty one was an app that depended on Google APIs for maps that dead-ended after Google went to a paid model for one of the essential functions.

I'm working with it over the past week and started updating it with Fallout 4 graphics. It's not an easy job - lacking artwork, I got ahold of the Pipboy app and extracted everything I needed. Then coded up new stuff to load the animated graphics in place of blank screens and static images. Animations are present for all 80-some-odd perks, all the specials, and the VaultBoy uses the different heads and injured body types. Music and in-game audio for Galaxy News Radio, New Vegas Radio, Enclave, and Mojave Music.

Here's some lousy images I grabbed from a video a short while ago. Needs a bit of cosmetic and a few performance fixes.

Not to sound pushy, but how goes the project my good man? And how comes the house?

Apparently I end up working on the house/projects/games in bursts it seems. As evident in the length of this project. My last burst of house work was to get my VR room completed. Images of that here.

I have also been working constantly on my garage/workshop and office. All with the goal of making it easier to do projects without making huge mess of the area. So lots of organization of tools and parts. I have a huge backlog of project I want to do, but am trying to ensure I complete what I started. That includes the Dosimeter and Pip-Boy.

I just finished Metro Exodus and man do I want to make the wrist device and the pneumatic gun. I even recognized a part on that gun, it is the same as the fuel pump that I just helped repair on a 1930's Chevrolet V8 truck. (but about half-scale)

Cheers.

Adafruits own page points to here: sabas1080/pypboy

I would appreciate if you edited your post and pointed to links instead of full images. Since I am not planning on using Adafruits software and don't want folks confused if they later go through the thread.

pomwah, Cool build. I thought about ordering that Geiger counter kit, but is was quite large.

However, if you expand on this, I suggest posting in your own thread. This thread is already very long, and I don't want to confuse people who just purse through threads looking for images and videos.

Cheers, I will start a new thread when I have it perfected..
You are right, the board is about twice the size of a Uno but the tube itself can be remote from it, as can the buzzer, plenty of location options

pomwah, Cool build. I thought about ordering that Geiger counter kit, but is was quite large.

However, if you expand on this, I suggest posting in your own thread. This thread is already very long, and I don't want to confuse people who just purse through threads looking for images and videos.

I have been working on lots of 3D printed projects that I can sell on Shapeways.com. These add to my hobby fund. I also recently ordered some updated Dosimeter 3D printed parts. I just need to get off my duff and finish the electronics on that.

I have been working hard on my workshop. Trying to make it efficient, as well as getting a better photo and video setup going. All that takes time and money. Real life is always taking time, like recently figuring out that there is zero insulation in the isolated attic above my dining room, and having to work to fix that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back