Functional Pip-boy 3000 Mk IV from Fallout 4

Would it work if it was rotocast under pressure?
You can bend lexan sheet if you carefully heat it with a hairdryer or heat gun. Its actually quite easy after some practice. That's how I did the mock hene gas tube for the laser musket. If you place a wood analog of the shape you want underneath it will conform to that shape.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

uc?export=download&id=0B2n3dPM0PK0ydm82OERoZE9UMzg.jpg

GhostMinion, they showed another version in the Fallout 4 artbook. The post version is solid red, this one looks like it actually contains soda.
jellis359, I have tried thermoforming before but with pretty miserable results. Vacuum forming may be an option. I am willing to bet once I play the game some other gun will capture my imagination.

Pip-Boy Project update:

22468762438_b7136a3e7c_c.jpg

jellis359 has shipped me an Udoo Neo to help jumpstart this project. I am working hard collecting parts and circuit diagrams to combine. I found a TI part which can convert the LVDS video from the Udoo to Parallel RGB. I will have to build some prototype boards to test the parts before doing a complete layout in integration.

The image above shows the major interactive components, and I finally added a quarter for scale.

I loaded up the Pip-Boy software onto my Nexus Tablet. I have confirmed my fear, that they didn't enable any keyboard shortcuts such as up/down/left/right. I can use Tasker to apply touch and swipe actions to the Pip-Boy app. Once the game comes out I will know more about exactly how it all works together.

Attachments

• 22468762438_b7136a3e7c_c.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 243
    202.9 KB · Views: 322
    202.9 KB · Views: 260
    202.9 KB · Views: 206
    202.9 KB · Views: 373
  • uc?export=download&id=0B2n3dPM0PK0ydm82OERoZE9UMzg.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 221
    182.9 KB · Views: 240
    182.9 KB · Views: 253
    182.9 KB · Views: 229
    182.9 KB · Views: 351
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, first of all, thank you very much for your effort and will, i found this project when i was looking for 3d models to wonder if i could do something similar, my idea was to use a bluetooth keyboard or joystick, adapt the controls and then add an external battery, will this device have phone capabilities and the possibility to use larger batteries?
Why not to use a wifi signal measurer for the geiger counter?
Will it become possible to have the models to customize them in case i wish?
Thank you very much and good luck for the project. ^^

Last edited:
No need to take apart a keyboard, they use cross-coded inputs which are hard to interface to switches.

Adafruits sells a bluetooth HID device, which has 12 inputs and to your device looks just like a keyboard. It is very easy to use. You can also use a dirt-cheap Adafruit Trinket as a USB keyboard input. I considered using a phone and USB input to connect the various dials early in the project, however it is very difficult to fit everything inside. If you look at the Pip-Boy edition, the phone has to slide underneath the radio gauge display, so it would be very hard to make that part interactive. The phone also sits right up against the macro knob on the side, so you wouldn't have any internal room to place a sensor.

The Geiger counter display will be driven by the Arduino side of the Udoo Neo. The data fed to it can come from most anywhere. A small custom program could be used to toggle between different sensor inputs, or WIFI signal (Or combined). I plan on releasing the electrical schematics and software as open source, so you can learn and adapt them as you wish.

I have a Pip-Boy edition on the way today, I will be posting a sort of report on its construction and design. For example, I will try to explain why I think they made certain design trade-offs to get a production ready product. Also, I can't wait to play the game later today and see how the Pip-Boy functions in-game.

I'm in love with this project and hope to see it IRL. I might have a bit of info of use.

As for the 2 unknown knobs. (small near power button and far top left) The small one near the power button would be for volume in my book after all its near the tuning knob. The other knob may be for screen brightness.

As far as moving in sub menus what if the bearing cap on the index scroll wheel was a press and hold button for the middle finger. Depress the button and the scroll wheel rebound to change sub menus until the button was released. So thumb on category, index on scroll and select, and middle on press/hold for submenu.

Internally you only have so much room for a battery and an external jack is a good idea. You currently are using almost none of the internal space in the halo tapes. What about installing a battery in them and having a dc dc charger. AKA put in a halo tape and transfer the power from its battery to the pipboy's battery topping it off.

Like I said only ideas. I'm looking at a similar project myself but if you get a good one ready I'm in.

Last edited:
m9365428, having that be a volume knob isn't a bad idea. I will think about it. In-game it doesn't seem to have any function. It does rotate on the Pip-Boy edition.
The other knob being screen brightness is also a good idea, especially if I eliminate the ambient light sensor. The side knob is supposed to be a scree focus knob, at least according to the art book.

I have considered doing a hidden button behind the scroll wheel, either one that can toggle between two positions, or toggle a function. I was thinking of using a capacitive switch, which is far easier to do since I have very little room for a mechanical switch. Two capacitive switches together could even do scroll-up/down. The hard part is that since the Pip-Boy app doesn't support keyboard shortcuts. (I am hoping someone at Bethesda can change that). So scrolling up and down requires that you remember your previous position.

The holotapes don't have as much internal space as you might expect. I have covered the idea of using the as a battery earlier in the thread. A 500mA battery could it inside, but they would require a secondary charger circuit, either internal or externally. Having one battery charger another isn't possible. Both batteries would be running at 3.7V, and the charger circuits typically require 5V to even operate.

-----------------

Project update:

I have already put 13 hours into the game, played until 8am the first night. I also spent some time with the Pip-Boy edition and gleaned some ideas from that.
Here are the changes I already plan on doing:

1) Change the sensor pod into a USB cable interface for charging/updating the Pip-Boy. In-game the white pod didn't turn out to be a lamp at all, the Pip-Boy still just does a bright screen as a flashlight. It is easy enough in Android to make an app that does nothing but show a green screen at maximum brightness.

2) Eliminate the IR temperature sensor. It it a very expensive single component, and does not emulate any actual in-game function. It also makes the pod more complex to build.

3) Somehow add an adjustable strap. It does help when putting on your arm one-handed to have it already held down with velcro.

I know space is a premium but instead of a strap could a system similar to a blood pressure cuff work? Either a micro electric pump or a manual one could provide the pressure.
Such a system would make it more universal and could be how it was originally done.

edit: after thought. electric model could be used on a sim-porous (aka non-porous with micro holes under fabric) to push air around arm and into electronics cavity for cooling!

Hey Zap, I've got some interesting info for you. I've been playing Fallout 4, and I discovered what the white tube on the back of the PB3K MkIV is. It's an Adapter plug, and in-game it's designed to interface with Robco compatible tech, like the console in the image below, which opens the Vault door.

12244237_10204081329192500_2069266790606803600_o.jpg

QuantumDominic, How I scaled the Pip-boy to the real world was a few different factors. I have changed the size about four times throughout the design.
1) Early on there was very little reference, I scaled the design comparing the game character's thumb size and my own.
2) Later I was forced to scale it up by 10% to fit in all the electronics, and make it better fit my arm.
3) Once I have more of the design fleshed out I scaled it up another 5% to fit a 3.5" LCD screen.
4) Finally, I had to scale it up another small amount to fit the Udoo Neo inside.
My design is still a bit smaller than the Pip-Boy edition, which I think it a bit oversized anyways.

The 3D files may be released at some point after I execute the Group Buy. Currently I am learning the Udoo Neo, however they haven't released the Android software for it yet, due sometime in December.
GBRyker61, Yep, I saw this in my playthrough also. I have already decided to simply the overall design and make the pod a USB plug. It will still be able to extend and retract.

Your probs don't need me to tell you that's awesome. Great job. I agree with the Pipboy Edition, it doesn't look totally realistic to me either, maybe to shiny I'm not sure

I have great interest in attempting to build a self contained pipboy using my collectors edition, so my question for the very knowledgeable folks here in this thread is: would this be best approached by cannibalizing and re-wiring an android, or attempting a Raspberry Pi build? I would also like to make a usb port for charging/updating the device using the white module on the back, and I would like to have the power switch on the model be the on-off switch for everything in the unit, how hard would this be to do?
Sorry I am new here and I hope this isn't considered hi-jacking, just looking for some tips here! Any help is appreciated!

LoneWanderer, check out this more approriate thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=249750
I gave that guy some good tips on adding functions without modifying a phone. If you use a Raspberry Pi, you will quickly find you don't have as much room as you expect inside. Also, the Pi can't run Android.

So I have had some time to play with the Udoo Neo, it works pretty good in Linux, however the Android build won't be out until sometime in December, so I can't tell yet how well it works in there. The cool thing however, is that the Arduino compatible low-power processor side is apparently connected as if it were a USB device. This means, in theory" that I could develop a lot of the electronics on a normal Arduino connected to a Android Tablet, and then it should port over to the Udoo Neo pretty easily. However, I am not getting as much done on that side of the project current, this popular video game that came out recently seems to keep drawing me in.

Just stumbled across this thread whilst looking for ways to modify my collectors edition Pip-boy (haven't been on here for a while) and WOW! I gotta say I'm seriously impressed with the level of detail and commitment you're putting into this project. At first I thought it looked impossible but I've read the whole topic now and it seems that if anyone can pull this off it'll be you. You sir are a seriously talented engineer! I'm rather jealous :D

I'll definitly be interested in a group buy for this. I don't care if I have to sell my car and take an circuitry course! XD

I'll be watching this topic very closely from now on.
Keep up the good work :D

I found this thread while looking for model files to print out the mk 4 and I have to say, this is some impressive work! I would love to get in on the group buy for sure. I have been dying for a fully functional Pipboy since Fallout 3! Please let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Wow!! Great work that you've done on this so far.
A feat of major engineering to bring this prop to life both mechanically and electronically. Subbed to this can't wait to see this completed keep up the good work bro. [emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

DanielWGK, that is interesting. Although a bit over my head. Will probably need something like this that can spoof commands such as changing the radio station, or turning on the Pip-Boy light.

Project update:
Well folks there is a bit of a delay. Mostly related to real world issues. I just got my appendix removed, and my wife also has some major surgery next week. This has put a huge dampener on money I could put into the project. I do have the Udoo Neo and much of the electronics bits, so I am focusing on that for now. I am going to also work on changes to the mechanical and functions based on how the Pip-boy works in game.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back