FUNCTIONAL cardboard bladed gauntlet

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

AgentK

I just wanted to see if I could go from a boxlid to working gauntlet, and how long it would take. I will eventually make a much longer huntorial. The basics are, the lid from an office paper box. rubber bands, a dowel or two pencils, and glue. I have now untaped everything and hotglued everything back together. It is very strong! The only thing that seems weak are the blades. This was not intended for my OWN costume, just as a quick build. I doubt it will last more than a few demos the way I made it. I now am planning a smaller, wearable version of pressed fiberboard and microbungees.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=63905270

Open the lid, fold the panels inward and cut along panel lines. Make 4 full length panels approximately 3 inches wide.
These will be the sides, top, and bottom of the box.
The large leftover piece will be for the blades to be made of. I made fast wolverine style blades. If you double layer, make of THICK card, or resin the blades, they should be stronger.

needed.JPG

WIP1.JPG

wip2.JPG

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

AgentK

Halfway up each side and blade piece draw a line. This will be the channel line for the "BOLT", and bolt guide lines. near the end of the blades brace a dowel or cut the pencils to be the rear bolt cath. The bolt will extend out both sides and "ride on rails." It will go through both blades and out both sides. I first made washers for the outside, but after I hotglued everything, they weren't needed. Place a dowel a few inches forward of this dowel but it will stop just flush with the outside of the blades. PLace the front end on and cut holes for the blades to slide through. make sure that when closed, the blades stick out slightly. On the back end, I used a clothes pin to hold the rear dowel. From the front dowel extend a rubber band to another dowel placed vertically near the front. Slide the blades back and pinch into the clothes pin. To release, push down on the pin and voila, functional band powered blades!

wip3.JPG

closed.JPG

xtnded.JPG