Fullers Earth on Leather Jacket

Matthew Gresham

Looking to dirty up an Indiana Jones jacket with fullers earth but not sure if it will stick or if I'll have to worry about it rubbing off onto things. Anybody have experience with this kinda thing?

Are you trying to dirty it up or distress the leather? Is this for a shoot of some kind or everyday wear?
I'm just trying to give it a dirty, dusty look like I've been in the desert for weeks or something. I'd like as permanent of a solution as possible so I don't have to reapply every time I wear my gear but I know fullers earth isn't super permanent

Well, dirt isn't very good for the healthy preservation of leather in any case. In Raiders they used a cloth mock-up for the scene where the Hovitos chase Indy and the dust is flying off because the leather wouldn't hold the dust. I'm sure leaving a cloud of dust in your wake would be frowned upon in many places anyway.

Well, dirt isn't very good for the healthy preservation of leather in any case. In Raiders they used a cloth mock-up for the scene where the Hovitos chase Indy and the dust is flying off because the leather wouldn't hold the dust. I'm sure leaving a cloud of dust in your wake would be frowned upon in many places anyway.
A cloth mockup? I've never heard of this. Like a stunt jacket?

Whenever I want a permanent dusty look look to anything (helmets, hats, jackets or props) I use hairspray then dust the dirt on. I start off light then increase the amounts as I go. Just don't go overly heavy with the hairspray because you don't want the dirt to cake up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back