Full Size Dalek Wins Dragon*Con! Pics added 9/9/12!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by DarkJedi1500, Dec 3, 2011.

1. DarkJedi1500

DarkJedi1500 Well-Known Member

After attending several conventions and such, I’ve learned that Doctor Who has a pretty large following. I’m about half way through the 21st century show and have enjoyed it so far. With a local Dr. Who con coming in June, I decided to try my hand at making a Dalek. Personally, I like the 2010 design better (it would have been a lot easier to build), but the size is way too cumbersome. The 2005 model, shown on the left, seems a bit more manageable.
    IMG_0055.png
    I started with the skirt by creating the top and bottom panel and using a temporary frame. The panels (all plywood) were temporarily taped in place and the inside seams coated with fiberglass.
    IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    The outside was then shaped with bondo and wood putty. After a few coats of primmer there are a few flaws, but those will be easily fixed tomorrow.
    IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    The skirt is also made from plywood and reinforced with fiberglass. Unfortunately, I forgot about the flat part on top of the bumper, so it is a little bit smaller than the real prop. Hopefully nobody will notice. Due to the weather and schedule I don’t want to remake the piece, and honestly I want to have some clearance for going through doors anyway.
    IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    I’ll be shaping the bumper most of tomorrow. I should be starting on the shoulder section sometime in the week. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Dalek 2005 Model WIP

Personally, I would have gone with the '73 version. This guy has scans of the plans the BBC put out back then: EXTERMINATE!
    Still has a lot of useful tips.

3. Alric

Alric Well-Known Member

The plans issued by the BBC in the 70's are inaccurate. The best plans for all versions can be got from project dalek.

This is looking good so far, I'm looking forward to see how this develops.

4. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A Dalek and the Tardis are on my build list if I ever become independantly wealthy enough to have the time and money. Until then, I'll have to live vicarously through posts like this. :thumbsup

Subscribed!

5. DarkJedi1500

Some More progress pictures

I was able to cut the temporary support out of the skirt now that the sides can support weight.

[​IMG]

Also had to take a pause and see if I fit in the dalek. In reality, I will be making this a remote controled prop, not something I have to "wear"

[​IMG]

I also managed to finish the majority of shaping work on the skirt. You can see here the issue I mentioned before where the skirt does not have a flat ledge. Personally, I think this looks better, but it might get replaced if I have time.

[​IMG]

This week I'll be starting the shoulders, which may be one of the most challenging pieces. Stay tuned.

6. DRD 1812

DRD 1812 New Member

Cool! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

7. DarkJedi1500

Some more progress.

I’ve started the shoulders the same way I did the skirt: with a top and bottom base. Unlike the skirt however, the exact dimensions on the plans are vague, so I had to make some judgments and came up with what I thought looked right, at least for a base. This was then covered with poster board and the inside fiber glassed. Due to the cold, I have to keep a space heater on hand to allow the resin to cure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up will a little mess as the resin did not stick to the glossy poster board. I will be taking a belt sander to it tomorrow and then onto bondo.

[​IMG]

I also started the gun boxes. They are made of play wood and will be inserted and trimmed into the shoulders once I get the raised details figured out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow will begin a lot of the bondo work and possibly the start of the panels that go around the shoulders.

8. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

Well done, you are doing great. Glad you didn't do the other Dalek, it's an abomination.

9. DarkJedi1500

Spent a long weekend with bondo and a belt sander, and got the shoulders to a good enough spot where I can start the detail work. Keep in mind I will need to add more bondo once I get the foam and gun boxes mounted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and added the top detail with foam. My intent was to do all the foam THEN put the gun boxes in, but decided against this as it would make measuring the location of the boxes tricky. The shoulders were cut and the boxes glued in place with fiberglass. Tomorrow I’ll blend it in with bondo and try to continue adding foam details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’ve also started the slat armor for the sides. Still need to clean them up with bondo and wood putty, and add the bolt holes. I will be molding theses and casting copies from fiberglass to go around the shoulders.

[​IMG]

10. jonny5j

jonny5j New Member

looking good i have the major parts to build one just havnt got round to it yet must try harder [thats what my school report used to say anyway]

11. ReproMan

ReproMan Well-Known Member

looking good, keep up the great work. i will convince my gf to let me build a dalek one day lol

12. DarkJedi1500

I’ve been putting as much time as I can into this but it doesn’t look like much as most of it has been putty, sand, repeat.

The foam details have been added to the shoulder section and it is currently in its bondo phase. I will be bringing the bottom edge out another 1/8” so it won’t be pretty for a little while longer. Hopefully this is the hardest part of the build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The slat positives are also in the final putty stage so I should be making the mold this week.

[​IMG]

I’ve also started on the neck rings and gun box detail. The gun box detail is two layers of 3mm balsa cut with a scroll saw. The neck rings are MDF and the bevel will be made with bondo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. RevEggy

RevEggy New Member

That looks amazing mate. Welcome to the club. This is my build.

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work

K.B.O.

14. DarkJedi1500

Some more work. I have been working as much as I can but a lot of it has been sanding, putty, and repeat.

The slats are coming along. I used a drill press to recess the area for the bolts and started to make molds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also finished up creating the rings. As mentioned before the belevel was made using two pieces of MDF and filling it with bondo. I will be adding groves for the cage tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also decided to make both gun box details out of wood to save some rubber

[​IMG]

On the shoulders I fixed a grove area I missed previously and built the bottom edge another 1/8” out with balsa.

[​IMG]

After some more bondo I sanded and primed. I had to fill a few details with putty, and will be adding the gun details and trimming for the tools soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also started on the eye. Using a laser cutter at our shop, a series of circles were cut and glued together to form the main recess of the eye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come….

15. DarkJedi1500

Progress has been a little hampered by the weather her, but slowly marching forward. I completed a big step and assembled the outer neck cage.

[​IMG]

And here it is on the body. I've also attached the gun box details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Most of the upcoming work is to start casting the slats and balls, but overall I am very happy with how this project is progressing.

I also put together a little something to wear while showing it off. The jacket is just a generic double breasted jacket. It is not accurate, but was cheap and I believe fits the part well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now if I could only find a Rose:cry

16. Alric

Alric Well-Known Member

Re: Dalek 2005 Model WIP with 9th Doctor

You go to any convension and there are normally lots of Rose's abount :)

You buld is coming along well, it won't be long before he can start to chase all the little kids at a show.

17. matrox75

matrox75 New Member

cool build!!!!!!!!! watching this closely

18. Major Sebastian

Major Sebastian New Member

An excellent build, most impressive! - It looks like Dalek Chad will soon have a friend to play with lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  19. phez

phez Sr Member

Great build thread!!!

I don't know a lot about building this kind of thing, what is the news paper being used for in the Bondo phase photo?

20. DarkJedi1500

The paper mache protects the foam from getting eaten by the bondo. If I wanted to be a little more professional I would have coated the foam in urathane resin (the polyester resin I normally use disolves the foam) and then apply the bondo, but that method cost a bit more than newspapers and elmer's white glue. I've used the paper to seal foam on my portal gun and Subject Delta with very good results.

21. DarkJedi1500

So with the cold weather I had to improvise and make this state of the art oven:

[​IMG]

It is working and I am about half way through making the slat castings. I need 13 of the large ones so it is taking a while.

First, the neck was trimmed and the shoulders finally premiered:

[​IMG]

In the mean time I have been working on the neck and other positives. The inner neck support was constructed from MDF and painted black. It will be covered with door screen and floor mat so you can’t see the operator.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also put the eye buck together from wood and bondo. I am really proud of this piece as it was not made with a lathe but looks like it was. The full eye will be a two part interlocking mold I will explain when the castings are ready.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, just for fun, here’s a picture of me sitting in the thing. Keep in mind I am 6 feet tall.

[​IMG]

22. DarkJedi1500

Some more progress, although it came to a halt last weekend do to the stomach flu:

[​IMG]

The hemisphere ring was molded and copies were made of smooth cast 300. At 55 pulls the mold developed some tears. Luckily, pul 56 came out okay, and I can pull a few more if I need to:

[​IMG]

The detail for the neck supports were also cast of 300 and glued to the cage. Torsoboy has been working on the head. He designed it in pepakura and folded it. At this time it has been coated with resin, but most of the work will come a little later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The inner neck has also been painted and wrapped with floor mat. Once the top is on it is very hard to see in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A friend provided two wheel chairs for the project. I have to do some research but I believe the one on the left will be taken apart and integrated into the Dalek.

[​IMG]

I also finished the front eye mold. The piece is slush cast. This is the first mold I have made ouf Rebound 40, a stiffer alternative to rebound 25. I have to say I really like this rubber as it holds its shape alot better, but if you have fine detail I would use the 25 for the inner layer and build the outer surface up with the 40.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (from the left: master positive, Onyx, Smooth Cast 300)

Stay tuned.

23. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

Great build! Loving watching this come together.

24. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

You are insane.

This is better than anything that was ever on the show.

Seriously, you should build these things for the studio in a future season.

25. DarkJedi1500

A little more progress to show off.

First, the slats have been added. Each one was positioned first with posterboard, then a curve gauge was used to measure the shoulder grove and serve as a temblate so the slat could be trimmed and fit correctly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The eye piece was slush cast, and the stalk details shaped from MDF and cast in resin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the hemispheres on the skirt, The method I desided to go with was to use painted acrylic balls. The support ring will go around the ball and a center spacer will be used to center the assembly on the Skirt. This will make a bit more scense when I post pictures onf the instalation onto the skirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also started to make the plunger with apoxie sculpt, wood, and PVC. The plunger on the real daleks is not really a plunger, hence why I am am making this rather than using one from the hardware store.

[​IMG]

Cosmetically, we are getting near the end. I should be lathing the laser soon and Dave is working on the head. After that, I'll be focusing on the inner mechanics. Stay tuned.

26. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

Very interesting NSD build, are you working to any NSD plans or
    you doing a custom build, I like custom builds, but ether way, keep up with the build.

27. DarkJedi1500

I am using the 2005 plans from project Dalek as reference. I am really hesitant to say I am building to plans because the PD plans only provide exterior dimensions, and I found some of them to be extreamly lacking or contradicting eachother. The build technique itself is developed from various other projects I've done over the years.

28. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

The PD Dalek drawings only give you outside measurements, and you need to work out the rest to fit in with your build.

You can also get the Dalek builders manual that shows you how to make the curtain sections and parts, before you get to far into your build I would look at the fender dimensions, as visually is not looking right to an NSD, as you mentioned some posts back, now would would be best time before you start to install all the motorized parts into the fender.

29. DarkJedi1500

I refuse to buy a build manual on the premise that we freely share information here on the forums (if anybody ever wants to use a technique I posted be my guest), and Honestly I think I did pretty good so far with what I have.

I am not going too fix the fender as I want to make sure this will still be able to roll through doors easily, but I cab still swap it for display later on.

30. DarkJedi1500

Some more updates.

Plunger is painted and looking good. I still need to work out the arm pivot mounting before I can connect it to the aluminum.

[​IMG]

I also was able to put most of the hemispheres on the skirt. Basically I glue a plug into each hemisphere that centers it in a 1.25" hole I drill into the skirt. The ring casting fits around the hemisphere like a glove, and then the whole assembly is glued to the skirt. Remeber I have to do this 56 times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also assembled the eye stalk, added the light, and glued on the disk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. DarkJedi1500

Some more updates.

The plunger arm is complete:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also painted the shoulder and slats, anf finished adding all the hemispheres:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Moflash lens just shipped from Britian and a co worker is lathing the parts I need for the laser, so cosmetically this should be done relativly soon. :)

32. DarkJedi1500

Re: Dalek, 2005 Model, Full Size, WIP with 9th Doctor

A few updates:

First, here is the current progress with the plunger installed:

[​IMG]

I also started on the moflash lens cages. The pieces are cast from smoothcast 300.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. DarkJedi1500

Also, a co worker finished machining the aluminum pieces I needed for the laser, so that will be coming along soon as well.

[​IMG]

34. Knightjar

Knightjar Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking great! Your photos are a healthy reminder to those of us who hope one day to build a Dalek of how much work is involved.

35. DarkJedi1500

Thanks.

Right now I am about 4-5 months in with the build. Cosmetically everything will be done in the next month and the Dalek will be on display at Con Kasterbourous here in Huntsville June 9th-10th. After that I will be foucusing on making it motorized for Dragon*Con.

36. DarkJedi1500

With the new portal gun done I can shift my attention back to this. The base for the head was made and the whole assembly can now rotate. I also added the wisk parts to the laser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. DarkJedi1500

So close to the finish line....

The laser arm has been attached to the body. The laser and plunger are attached to 4" acrylic balls coated with Onyx resin. The are held in place with a wooden spacer so that they can move via the operator inside.

[​IMG]

The cages for the moflash lenses have also been finished.

[​IMG]

To mount the head I added a lazy susan for the center pivot point. When I added the eye I noticed this caused the head to lean to one side, so I added some outboard barrings which fixed the problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is where we are right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cosmetically, all that is left is to carve the head grooves, finish the inner eye plate and ear light mounts, and paint. In the near future I'll be making a cart so I can roll the dalek around, but the insides will hopefully be a bit more elaborate for D*Con.

38. DarkJedi1500

Ta dah!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Re: Dalek, 2005 Model, Full Size, Exterior Complete 5/13/2012

WOW! This is the first time I've seent this build. VERY impressive! Great work!

40. 76TottersLane

76TottersLane New Member

Hey wonder if you could help, what thickness aluminium did you get for your appendages and does it work well or would you suggest thicker/thinner to allow less/more give between the different poles on the telescopic arm?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  41. DarkJedi1500

Ideally you want the ID of one tube to be the OD of the smaller one. I got the tubes for mine off of McMaster and would need to look up the thicknesses. Long story short, I used electrical tape to center everything, and the arm does not telescope.

42. 76TottersLane

76TottersLane New Member

Cheers for the advice, hopefully not too long before mine looks like yours now!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  43. oota goota

oota goota Well-Known Member

beautiful work well done!

44. Stage One

Stage One New Member

Would you mind cluing me in to what kind of paint you used for the bronze and gold on the body? I have been having a hard time getting my props to have that believable metallic look. Also, what did you use to prime the body?

Thanks!

45. DarkJedi1500

Krylon grey primmer
    Krylon Hammered Fusion paint
    Krylon Flat Black
    Rustoleum Hammered gold.

46. Stage One

Stage One New Member

Brilliant thanks! Krylon has been surprising me lately with the quality of their metallics.

47. DarkJedi1500

Honestly I am not thrilled with them. The cans on the copper kept clogging and becoming unusable. I would probably try Rustoleum if you can.

48. Stage One

Stage One New Member

Fair enough. I have only been using them for small coverage areas so that might be why I have not encountered that problem. Rustoleum it is!

49. DarkJedi1500

So there was a Doctor Who convention here in Huntsville last weekend and we brought the Dalek out for the first time. Although it is not motorized yet, it was a huge hit. One of the most interesting moments was when a couple got engaged next to it. I'll post some pictures later, but here is the local news article:

‘Doctor Who’ Fans Meet This Weekend In Huntsville | WHNT.com — Huntsville News & Weather from WHNT Television News19 HD

If you're a whovian I highly recommend coming out next year.

50. The_Mike

The_Mike Well-Known Member

This is AWESOME! I want one! :D