Full scale X-wing stage prop drawings

Oldman

For the past few years I have been working on and off (mostly off) on blueprints for a full scale X-wing stage prop.

Some background
-These are not intended to be drawings of the ILM studio scale models
-I only use photos of the ILM studio models, screen caps of the original stage props, set photographs for reference
-My workflow is based upon using images/documentation of the original stage prop(s) as the controlling baseline. To fill in the missing information I use the ILM studio models. Falling back on the idea the studio was supposed to reverse engineer the BLUE 2 ILM model to create the stage prop
-The studio did not faithfully copy BLUE 2 to make the stage prop for ANH. The ESB stage prop is closer to the ILM models but not 100%
-Regarding size, I believe the "offical" size to be totally wrong. I established my base line scale by working from photos of the ILM studio model. Using a top view and scaling the sherman tank hull on the aft bulkhead. The actual size of the sherman tank is well established, the model kit used is known, assuming the ILM studio models are 1:24 scale. From there I just did the math and came up with what you see here.

-I don't see my drawings as being "screen accurate" there are simply to many unknowns and missing information. So when in doubt I fall back on the ILM studio models to fill in the blanks.

Hopefully I have gotten most of this right, if you see any blunders let me know. The ANH prop and the ESN prop are not identical and I still have not settled on a method to document the differences, so thats another thing to work out.

Welcome to the forum.

The X-Wing is still a very sleek looking ship and I'm now subscribed. Will you make this to allow the wing to move into "attack position"?

The current design does include functioning S-foils (manually), the first drawing shows a conceptual design. Essentially its a 5" aluminum pipe on the centerline with 2 arms per s-foil pivoting on the aluminum pipe and a beam of some sort at the ends. The S-foil structure would be attached to the beam. I may show a bit more of the armature, but these drawings are not intended to be fabrication/shop drawings. I don't want to get bogged down into that much detail with this set of blueprints.

The functioning S-foils also pull me further away from the goal since the original stage props didn't have them. They had the S-foils solidly encased within the fuselage. So I will probably have to include a non-functioning version of the fuselage in the drawings also.

The functioning S-foils also pull me further away from the goal since the original stage props didn't have them. They had the S-foils solidly encased within the fuselage. So I will probably have to include a non-functioning version of the fuselage in the drawings also.

I guess all the open foil X-Wings seen in the films were miniatures.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you did build this with the functioning S-foils, you'd have to make a custom stand to allow the foils to move their intended range or they'd hit the floor before fully opening.

I do not know for sure but it looks like the range would go past the height of the landing gear.

Realistically, for maintenance purposes, they would most likely have a need at time to open the S-foils. They may have a special maintenance stand or there could be some sort of built in lift that raises (maybe extends the gear) higher from the floor.

I bet someone in the modeling forums could tell you. Plenty of people building studio and other scale X-Wings. They might have versions with gear and movable foils.

Last edited:
The concept I am going with is an armature design allowing each S-foil to operate independently. This is idea seems to offer the most possibilities. As MJF mentioned the prop could be set in a scene depicting some sort of maintenence activity, with one or both upper S-foils opened. All four S-foils could be opened if the prop was suspended in mid-air. My biggest worry with this is how to safely raise and lower a 500lb S-foil.

A simpler type of armature could be used if the S-foils would only be opened when the prop is suspended in mid-air. Then each pair of diagonal opposing S-foils could be placed on the same arm and would rotate together. This is essentially how the studio scale modelers do it.

Wow! That's an incredible amount of work. They're so . . . beautiful! I want to frame and hang them!

Thanks for sharing your progress

Very nice!

I like Frank's ideas. One thing to consider, though, is that the rear landing gear comes out of the cans, so the changing angle of the wings in attack mode would also move the gear. Maybe they could pivot, but I don't know if there would be enough room in the gear for them to pivot enough.

Fantastic! I was thinking how cool it would be to have a full scale XWing sitting next to the full scale MF! :)

Last edited:
Very nice!

I like Frank's ideas. One thing to consider, though, is that the rear landing gear comes out of the cans, so the changing angle of the wings in attack mode would also move the gear. Maybe they could pivot, but I don't know if there would be enough room in the gear for them to pivot enough.

When it comes to how or why something in a fantasy type movie happens and for some reason and we scratch our head, I tend to be optimistic and approach it as the reason it does happen is because there is something we don't yet know that makes it happen. Which is how I approached the problem from above.

Treadwell brings up a great point about the gear and how they would need to pivot (as well as extend as I mentioned above). I think that solution is realistic. I could image the struts extending and pivoting in a way to ensure proper contact with the surface, such as suspension on an ATV does on uneven terrain.

If you go with this, most likely you have a system onboard like WoW (weight on wheels) in this case it might be WoS (Weight on Skids). For those who do not know, this is a safety system in aircraft that once the craft has landed, it disables systems that can cause damage or injury if active on the ground. For instance, you cannot raise the landing gear or fire weapons. However there are times in maintenance that you must disable WoW by pulling the circuit breaker. This usually entails a checklist to ensure proper precautions are taken to start, perform, and end maintenance while the system is off.

There is another solution, which is a Star Warsie solution... repulsors.

I am not looking at any blueprints so the following are assumptions. When the X-Wing and other space/air craft in the SW Galaxy take off, there does not seem to be lift created by rockets, VTOL engines, or fans/props as we might in our aircraft. They seem to simply lift away.. I am assuming some sort of repulsor tech. this ability could be utilized to suspend the X-wing off the ground during maintenance procedures (like a landspeed) to working on systems such as the foils or landing gear.

or

If we come to conclude that the X-wing does not have such tech built in, or for some reason the craft has no power to use its repulsors, a maintenance stand might simple be a repulsor pad you place underneath to lift the craft.

We know the N-1 floats in the Theed Hangar so such concepts are possilble.

And once again I state from above that there may also be more traditional mechanical lifts for the craft as well.

Last edited:
Incredible job on the drawings. This is the kind of thing that inspires me to attempt an x-wing scratch build. When someone goes through this much effort to design the plans, it is an obligation to build something from them.

Just an update to the drawings

-Added the engines
-created a few more drawings for additional detailed areas
-figured out how to hang it from the ceiling

Next objectives
-landing gear details
-interior power plant (think I will just go with the studio model example, no on screen references since the stage props always had closed S-foils)
-ESB droid strip (already started)

No, these are not for any particular purpose, I just started drawing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back