From "Searching for Graflex parts" to ESB WIP!

IMFletcher

Hello All!

I recently acquired a 3 cell graflex flash from a garage sale. I need to replace the red button and the bulb clamp/emitter. Red buttons appear to be no problem as there are many replicas and they can be bought fairly easily. I am quickly finding that a replacement bulb clamp is more difficult. Does anyone know of any resources? I am checking ebay regularly so we will see what that yeilds. I have tried Blastech and Graflex Shop but to no avail.

-Fletch

Last edited:
Re: Searching for Graflex parts

I'm looking for a red button too (my graflex 3 cell has the variation button with short row of notches around it, genuine graflex but earlier than the one used in the film) and being in australia cannot source one easilly. People want premium money for a real one (up to $80) and I've googled many times as well as looked on ebay and I can't find anything except the graflex shop "thumbscrew" type. They are about but paypal has scared sellers off and they want to send by very expensive post ($40 to send a graflex button overseas is ridiculous).

I too would like to know a source for a good replica red button that doesn't cost the earth otherwise I'll have to try my hand at making one. this would be an option for your clamp too, from what I've seen they are quite simple to copy, unless of course you want the real deal.

Hello All!

I recently acquired a 3 cell graflex flash from a garage sale. I need to replace the red button and the bulb clamp/emitter. Red buttons appear to be no problem as there are many replicas and they can be bought fairly easily. I am quickly finding that a replacement bulb clamp is more difficult. Does anyone know of any resources? I am checking ebay regularly so we will see what that yeilds. I have tried Blastech and Graflex Shop but to no avail.

-Fletch

I might have an extra builb clamp (I'll have to check). But even if I don't, the place to go is look on e-bay for a graflex slave (this is a small 3 inch looking device that is basically the first 3 inches of a grafex clamp, they were used to synch up multiple flashes). They sell for around $15 and they will have a bulb clamp you can use

Thanks Starkiller! Let me know if you do and are interested in unloading it. I will check ebay in the mean time.

People have also made pretty accurate buttons from parts from an electronics store (ours is radioshack)

Check around recent threads, there is a hardware ANH graflex on here that the builder fabricated the same button!

Nope. False alarm. I still have a set of repro bulb clamp ears. $12 shipped if you want them.

Wow those weren't there two weeks ago. I just bought one of the vintage buttons for sale in the thread posted above. It should come soon.

That said I also bought a graflex slave to harvest the bulb clamp ears from on eBay. The real problem is getting the retention rivet out. Getting it back in will be a major challenge too. I tapped and put a slot head machine screw instead of risking damage.

I just bought one of the vintage buttons for sale in the thread posted above. It should come soon.

Steve is a nice guy:) I bought a Parks replica Graflex from him in the above thread and he got it to me fast!

Robert

Last edited:

@scottjua : That sale started on 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM so it has been there for quite a while now and eventhough I'm glad to have helped you out however you'd better edit your last posts since this is not the junkyard and you are not allowed to post ebay auctions that are not your own here either. Please read the codes of conduct here : http://www.therpf.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_guidelines

-Chaim

Hey THANKS TO ALL!

I have been able to resurrect my 3 cell fairly quickly. I am looking at picking up another one for about 150.00 from a collector. If I don't but it, then anyone who wants the info on where they can get it can PM me.

That's nice . . . now please show us some pictures of your lightsaber in progress, okay?

-Chaim

This is the garage sale graflex:

7095104999_ef9071285e_c.jpg

7095105817_e42b243e35_c.jpg

With a little rubbing alcohol, some "Never Dull" and couple of parts from some members of the good ol' RPF:

7095106403_11de8ba23c_c.jpg

6949034472_63d10a7dc2_c.jpg

I think I will make this an ESB saber. The "weathered" look from the garage sale lends itself to a saber that's been there and done that. Any recommendations on grips and activation switches? I know several people (Park Sabers, Blast-tech, etc...) sells parts but who to go with?

The blast tech kit is pretty nice, but for an ESB the kobold D ring is discontinued. Jeff (Parks) still offers them, but I know he's chin deep in order fulfillment and said he'll have kobold D rings machined "in a couple of weeks".

Depending on ho screen accurate you want to be, you can wait it out for the kobold d ring, or go with blast tech's 2 screw second option.

There's also Gino's grips for ultimate screen accuracy. BUT the blast tech stuff is ready to stick on... Gino's grips need finishing.

Got my Blast Tech grips and circuit board! I put on the circuit board, cleaned off the lower half and applied the grips with the adhesive:

7161635306_13584aca5f_z.jpg

Then I drilled the holes and inserted the screws (turns out there weren't enough screws?!? I will have to find 2 more somewhere :thumbsdown)

7161639364_4a2dab97fa_z.jpg

Then, since I dont have a second button yet, I removed the eye.... it can live as a dagobah saber until I get the kobold ring from Parks and find a reasonable second red button!

7161644802_28c43ccfd8_z.jpg

A little mylar tape and I will be off to Bespin! I kind of think that the "beat up" look of the saber lends itself more to a Dagobah version anyways... we shall see....

P.S. A humble salute to my Jedi Master IRL who started me down this path to prop building Tonnikan Jinn! glad you are on the mend my brother! I am going to build your Chewbacca Dog Collar very soon!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back