Free Guy “Guy” Costume

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

The Searcher

Sr Member
Quick note on the round Garrett Leight opticals, they are out of production/discontinued and not many are left. I visited one of their stores and was able to purchase their last remaining pair at that location, so if you’re able to snag one, I’d recommend doing it soon.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Schlegel

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Quick note on the round Garrett Leight opticals, they are out of production/discontinued and not many are left. I visited one of their stores and was able to purchase their last remaining pair at that location, so if you’re able to snag one, I’d recommend doing it soon.
You want OOP and hard to find? Try looking for Tony Stark's glasses. Some of those sell so fast! Last week I was actually looking at Ebay listings the moment a pair of Persol 2430 hit... they sold before I could finish loading the listing page on my phone!

Esseth

For anyone that's running into the issue of the exact tie design being out of stock, I managed a pretty solid but not perfect workaround. I created a copy of the pattern based on the photos I had and then used several of these layered on a "custom printed ties" site, there is a bunch of them out there, but I used Zazzle.

I think my proportions were slightly off on mine as the lines are a bit thicker, and one slighyl misaligned layer but it honestly came up better than I expected.

1632102928950.png

Attachments

• Freeguytieedit2.jpg
    Freeguytieedit2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 11

Schlegel

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I found a NIB pair on Ebay for somewhat under retail, got some old-school GLCO factory clip-ons they put out for these in the deal as well, quite a bit classier than a sheet of lens-shaped plastic.

Bloop

Sr Member
Did some 3D modeling and printing today, trying to fix up the glasses I bought to look more like the Garrett Leight Kinney Combo frames:

Left Frame 1.png

Printed in transparent PLA and sanded:

20210920_193854.jpg

And after a quick and dirty proof-of-concept with some Sharpies:

20210920_203444.jpg

The real glasses for comparison:
Kinney Combo 1.png

I haven't screwed it in place yet, the new rim's just resting in place in the pics. I need a smaller drill bit for the two screws on the back - I modeled the front screw head since it's too close to the actual screw hole in the back. I lost detail on the screw when printing, had to add it back after. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I plan on altering and painting the metal frame as well, and grinding down the original lenses to fit the new frames.

Last edited:

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did some 3D modeling and printing today, trying to fix up the glasses I bought to look more like the Garrett Leight Kinney Combo frames:

View attachment 1496332

Printed in transparent PLA and sanded:

View attachment 1496329

And after a quick and dirty proof-of-concept with some Sharpies:

View attachment 1496330

The real glasses for comparison:
View attachment 1496333

I haven't screwed it in place yet, the new rim's just resting in place in the pics. I need a smaller drill bit for the two screws on the back - I modeled the front screw head since it's too close to the actual screw hole in the back. I lost detail on the screw when printing, had to add it back after. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I plan on altering and painting the metal frame as well, and grinding down the original lenses to fit the new frames.
Those glasses looks amazing! Good job!

Esseth

So gave up on my cup and ended up making something similar or "good enough", will be more useful as well ;)

Travel mug that looks close enough to a take away cup for me. Quick design in PS dumped onto a new redbubble profile as I'm not a fan of their platform.

1633379560564.png

Bloop

Sr Member
Dyed my laces to match my shoes better. Turned out great, especially because I just guessed on the proportions of water, dish soap & dye, and how long to dye them. I used brown Ritt Dye More, and the directions are for larger items, so that's why I guessed. I only dunked the laces in for a few seconds, took them out, rinsed them well and let them dry.

Went from this:

20211005_022436.jpg

To this:

20211005_022027.jpg

Bloop

Sr Member
I ordered a new name badge on Amazon from the same retailer, lasercrafting.com, but I went through the regular buying customizer instead of ordering their pre-configured "GUY" tags. It's the same blue/white color and I chose Verdana as the font (which isn't exact, but pretty close), but I specified 3" x 1.5". Here's a comparison of the rwo:

20211006_181929.jpg

Pic of screen worn badge for comparison:

20210821_171406.jpg

Not only is the tag now the correct ratio, but the name is closer to the right size too, slightly smaller than the old badge.

There was a small hiccup in the process as they mistakenly sent out another tag just like the old one, with the wrong size, but I messaged and they apologized and sent out the new one right away, no extra charge, didn't even have to return the wrong one. All in all, I'm glad I ordered the new one.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.