Free CHAPPiE Head Replica 1:1 props

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Razmataz, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Hello,
    I open this topic to share the files of my Chappie Head Replica, 1:1 scaled props. All the .STL files linked are succesfully printed with basic Pusa i3 3D printer, with 0,2mm layer and 30% infill.
    I use pictures of prototypes and Weta auction's, and measures kindly taken by Caxack on his original props acquired from VIP Auction, and I'm try to design a model as the most accurate and most detailed possible, and printable.

All the .STL files can be download here:

Chappiehead

Some renders of the STL files with Blender:

Chappie-3-4-2.jpg

Chappie-profil.jpg

Chappie-Open-1.jpg

Heres some pics of the finished head work and the CAD soft screenshot:

View attachment 547192 View attachment 547193

View attachment 621503 View attachment 621504 View attachment 621505

ChappieHead-Razmataz1.png ChappieHead-Razmataz3.png ChappieHead-Razmataz4.png

Tetravaal-plate-revD.png IMG_2043.JPG Chappie-ears-LR.png Chappie-Rotule-pic.png Capture-Camera-Pod1.PNG

LCD Screen and Speaker:

Chappie-GrilleSpeaker+Eyes.png

Bumpers and Headbox:

Bumpers-Solo.png View attachment 539898 View attachment 539902

Here's my Chappie head STL files printed by Eddie Zarrick in an awesome annimatronic project:

ChappieHead-Razmataz1.png

ChappieHead-Razmataz3.png

ChappieHead-Razmataz4.png

Tetravaal-plate-revD.png

IMG_2043.JPG

Chappie-Rotule-pic.png

Chappie-ears-LR.png

Capture-Camera-Pod1.PNG

Chappie-GrilleSpeaker+Eyes.png

Bumpers-Solo.png

Chappie-3-4-2.jpg

Chappie-profil.jpg

Chappie-Open-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. caxack

caxack New Member

Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

awesome dude :)

4. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Thank's!!!
    Caxack, can you take the yellow mesurements on your prop? It try now to understand how is maintained the camera pod under the Headbox. Maybe the Pod is closed the small lug and only screwed to the bumper's 3mm hole? (In red on the pic)
    Cote2.png Cote1.png

asalaw likes this.
  5. caxack

caxack New Member

Hi hopefully these will help ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439618651.651293.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439618779.429508.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439618831.771664.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439618889.532930.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439618923.216269.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439618954.198443.jpg

I thing the camera pod would anchor to the two back points, and may slip under the front lip. The hole on the side is fort the lower mouth bar and head tubes.

6. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Thank's for this valuable pics!!!! I'm pretty closed from the original props (1mm) I will empty the inside the front lip to fit the Camera Pod :) And just after that start the camera pod itself.

asalaw likes this.
  7. nicom1234

nicom1234 Active Member

Thanks so much for offering these on thingiverse Razmataz
    I started modelling the ears and the side of the head but thats how far I got before other projects took over, the usual.

Looking forward to printing these out :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  8. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Fantastic work, and very generous of you to put it up on Thingiverse! Kudos! :)

9. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Thanks :) I've started this build because I was very disappointed to not find any free replica, or something easy to print without dismembering point by point a Mesh under Blender.
    But it's clearly a big work. Hopefully, we have the pics of the eBay sales from VIP auctions and the mesurements from Caxack on the original Weta props.

I've added today the anchor point for the camera pod, and entirely rebuild the head box, it's better now. Now I will start the Camera Pod (That give me a small break before finishing the back of the head box).
    Backpoint-Pod.png HeadC4.png HeadC4box.png

10. Fetasigma1977

Fetasigma1977 New Member

Cool a chappie head might be in my near future thanks for sharing the files

11. joberg

joberg Master Member

TFS Razmataz and thanks for the measurements caxack:cool

12. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

The Camera Pod is now readdy. I've included the splitted Mesh if you want to print without material support. I've not tested yet the print because I'm out of stock about Blue ABS.
    @ Caxack: I've addded a thin 2mm support plate to fit the Cam into the Headbox, you will be able to fix it easily into your prop, if not, I've added the full Cam Pod without this plate.
    Enjoy ;)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:979058
    Capture-Camera-Pod1.PNG Cam-pod1-Capture.PNG Cam-pod2-Capture.PNG

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  13. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

your work is amazing :)
    Keep up the good work

14. caxack

caxack New Member

Trial fit. :). Looks awesome

I had the two part model printed by mistake however it fits well only 2mm gap either side at the front. Will now have the model with all the front detail printed, a bit of sanding and paint.

Thanks for the great model.

Once the moulding stuff actually arrives I think I will try and cast one of these as well.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440490519.730059.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440490552.962946.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440490566.318599.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440490579.459137.jpg

15. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Yeah!!! That's great!!!
    When seen your pics, I just notice I've make a mistake: I've posted on Thinkgiverse a splitted file for printing without material suppport with some missing camera parts (On the left side and middle). I've corrected the bug and updated the files now, it's named: Chappie-Camera-Pod-main-Split.stl

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:979058

EmmaInCandyland likes this.
  16. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

17. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Krats likes this.
  18. rustyroadie

rustyroadie New Member

Razmataz, That's awesome! Thank you for your generosity, I can't wait to get one of these built!!

very cool.

19. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Thank's!!! I hope finding time to print my own, because I just received an original stickers set prop's :)

IMG_2212.jpg

About that: Someone know why some props (ear side plate from head, stickers etc..) are labelled "Denel" and not "Tetravaal"?

20. rustyroadie

rustyroadie New Member

Denel is a real defence company in South Africa, possibly a nod to them in the film?

Where did you get the sticker pack mate?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  21. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

22. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe they actually filmed AT Denel (interiors and exteriors), but I don't think any Denel logos are seen on screen in the final film.

23. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

24. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Hello,
    the full head is ready and a French Props Team ask me to produced a resin kit based on my files!!! :$

The Chappie head files will be always free, but for now I've removed the files from Thingiverse because I found my high detailled pieces in others Chappie heads without any credits, so I'm searching another kind of hosting for the files. (Maybe Pinshape or My mini factory)

Here's the full work:
    Chappie-full-eclate.png Chappie-Full.png

Next step will be a neck, as a basis for the head and the Antenna.

Tuckanator likes this.
  25. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

Sorry to hear that people are not giving you the credit you deserve.
    This build is on my backlog, the moment i got a 3D printer i want to try and make this head :)
    So yes, your effort is really appreciated :)

26. rustyroadie

rustyroadie New Member

That is definitely not on! You have put in so much work and were so kind enough to put the files up for anyone to use! That makes me angry! Don't worry when I eventually get around to making mine, your name will be on the mount and any picture I show off will definitely give you full credit mate...

I'm with you dhunpael...just need to get that printer! haha (one that can print the size of the Chappie head)

27. joberg

joberg Master Member

That sucks big time man...I hope you'll find another way/host to get the well deserved recognition!

28. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Hello,
    sorry, I took a big break with the Chappie Head. Many of you write me recently about the files released and they asked if I was still alive, so thank's everyone!!!!

The project is achieved, and the STL files ready but I will not released all the files, because I don't want see my 200 hours work on sale on Etsy without credits. But I can released 95% of the files free and host the Big headbox on Shapeway. A printed headbox on Shapeway will cost 350$ (Without any margin from me) but if I split the headbox in 3 pieces that can probably drop down.
    Anyone is interrested?

I achieved the headback in January, so it's highly detaileld, including monitor on the head back and screwed CPU (So you will be able to open it to steal the Key like in the movie) and Smooth antenna (not on this screenshot).

Chappie-END-av.png

Chappie-End-ar.png

And a Shapeway preview:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LG3HVBQW3/?key=e97db14435a011ae073e299727d75479

29. TheoLoong

TheoLoong New Member

Dude, you are the best! I'm sorry that they don't give you the credit.
    Did you find a place to host your files? I really want to get chappie's head printed.

30. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Yes, I will finally host the files on my own server.
    I will released the STL files within two weeks, just the time to check if each files are Shapeways specs compliants.

31. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

This looks awesome, I would also like to print him if you release the STL files. So it's no longer totally free? 95% will be available and you have to pay for the head box file?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  32. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Hello,
    the Shapeway cost for 1 piece headbox was overkilled, so finally I'ved split the headbox in 6 parts and printed separatly and it's works. It's easy to print, easy to assembly. (My printer is only a Prusa i3 with a 10$ chinese hotend).
    So I just need to clean some pieces (Edges) and the files will be published. Sorry, I'm not very fast ;)
    Here's some pics of the Headbox.
    IMG_3045.JPG IMG_3046.JPG IMG_3047.JPG

33. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

Cool, you have a link to your files?

34. Oddoutput

Oddoutput New Member

Look really good :D
    I had my Chappie main frame printed in the exact same manner actually (except for the back "wings" that I had to glue together with the rest because a small oversight)!
    [​IMG]

35. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Really nice one!!!

36. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Getoninja likes this.
  37. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

Thanks for the model Razmataz, printing now :) does anybody have a scan of the head decals?

38. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

39. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

Awesome:cool

40. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

About half way on the printing, looking forward to painting it up:)

[​IMG]

Getoninja likes this.
  41. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Wow!!! Really nice built!!! Thank's for the pic!!!!
    Do you used the speaker files version with Grid? It seem really realistic!!

42. rustyroadie

rustyroadie New Member

Mr Razmataz! What a lovely job. I thought it looked cool as an stl, but these prints look amazing! I will send you payment for the full package on payday ;)

43. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

Used your grid version. Does anybody have an idea how I could easily install a sound broad? or a contact to somebody who would be willing to take on a small job.

44. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

In my opinion, the cheapiest way is a small voice recorder board with an ISDXXXX chip. You can easily record your 20 seconds audio sample from your computer or DVD and when pressing a switch the voice recorder play your sample as an "Happy Chappie"! That can be more powerfull with an arduino with this ISD board controlled by serial or a MP3 shield etc...

This is an ISD4004 based, but you can probably found something with a ISD1616 for 3$ on Alie Express.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISD4004-Spe...369870?hash=item488bef6f0e:g:65gAAOSwBLlU2aCM

45. joberg

joberg Master Member

Great files and thank you for sharing...that head is looking mighty good!

46. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

Finished printing, on to prep and paint :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. skynet23

skynet23 Active Member

I'm going to print this a bit smaller than 1/1 as don't have the room. If anybody is interested in buying this one, just pm me thanks

48. Getoninja

Getoninja Sr Member

wowowowo, thanks for sharing the files!! and awesome works from everyone

49. Razmataz

Razmataz New Member

Really nice built, thank's for the pics!!!

50. Getoninja

Getoninja Sr Member

if there is room inside the head, maybe you can use a cheap Bluetooth speaker inside.

I bought ifrogz Tadpole keychain size speaker for my 1/6 scale star wars figures and just my droid phone to play the sound clips or run them off youtube.
    iFrogz speaker is loud but no bass, good for smaller items. Chappie has room inside use a nice sounding speaker