Four Foot UNSC Frigate

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Ardrich Keybus, Nov 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. *This will be my first thread after having joined the RPF*

Over the next two months i will be constructing a (hopefully) accurate model of a UNSC Frigate, from the Halo franchise. It will be in 1:380th scale measuring 50 inches long, 14 inches high, and 16 inches wide. I'll be using primarily matte board for the structure, and poster board for the details. Because more detailed references can be provided for it, i will be modeling my version after the Halo:Reach frigate design.

Though it's a design from Halo 3, it still is a useful reference...

[​IMG]

Here is the progress on the ship's bow

[​IMG]

More to come...please stay tuned :[ ]

2. Grey

Grey Sr Member

It looks like a gun

3. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm partial to the Pillar of Autumn, myself, but this is gonna be an insane build! Best of luck, man.

-MJ

4. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to this.LOVE star ships....

5. Appreciate the support :] The Halcyon class is a nice design, but i chose the frigate because i feel it has a more challenging design structure. (and i like a challenge)

6. amish

amish Sr Member

Extremely cool, thank you for sharing!

7. AbbyDarkStar

AbbyDarkStar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh I cannot WAIT to see the progress on this!!! I'm a HUGE Halo fan!! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

8. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I can't wait to watch this. I'll book mark it and show it to my friend who is a nut for halo.

9. Mike J.

Is this the same class as the In Amber Clad?

10. Making some good progress on the bow! I've already scored the panel lines and glued my current pieces together, and it is really taking shape.

Thank you for the comments everyone, i'll try to keep you all apprised of my progress as often as i can. ^^

[​IMG]

11. Yes, In Amber Clad is a frigate class. :}

12. Onlyalad19

Onlyalad19 Active Member

Very cool! However, this thread might have a better home in the General Modeling forum.

13. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Shhh! This is cool!...anyways it's a "Prop" from...um...some Admiral *AHEM!* guys desk from uhhhh....someone help me out here!

14. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fleet Admiral Terrance Hood called the UNSC Frigate Forward Unto Dawn his flagship. Its not a stretch to assume he may have had a model of it in his ready room...

(The Dawn and the Andraste are somewhat different in design, but this is all I could come up with!)

15. Mike J.

Four feet doesn't exactly sound like desk-top size :lol

Perhaps mounted on the wall, or above the mantel.

16. Sean

more more...

17. Soon soon... :)

18. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Well it kind of is. See the ships were basically designed to be giant magnetic accelerator cannons that happen to carry crew, marines, and equipment.

19. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Good stuff nice to see something new!:thumbsup

20. Ok, so i've been making some surprising progress on this build. What would normally take weeks has taken me days to accomplish. The port and starboard Pelican Bays turned out beautifully, and once they dry i can glue them all to one another and be 1/3rd the way done!

I appreciate the enthusiasm everyone has been showing for this project, i promise i will keep you all updated with my progress and hopefully it will turn out better than expected.

[​IMG]

21. I am finally 1/3rd finished! (It looks like the frigate at the end of Halo III) I think i'll take a break from it today, get some other things done. ^^

[​IMG]

22. Gobble Gobble everyone!

Made some decent progress on the stern's midsection and i'll hopefully have it finished and ready to paint by mid december. :]

[​IMG]

23. Plugz

Plugz New Member

You crazy person. This is gonna be sweet!

24. Jediguy

Jediguy Well-Known Member

I think I'm in love

25. The stern section is really coming together now! After i have scored the details onto the thruster housings and added the remaining detail to the structural ribs, i can glue them together and start adding the outer layers.

I may have an idea for the ship's name: "WINTER OF DISCONTENT" ...what do you all think?

[​IMG]

26. KMosher

KMosher New Member

This is all kinds of cool. I think the name fits with Halo's "long ship name" tradition, haha

27. I'm quite excited, just two more weeks and i can start painting!

You'll notice some holes in the frigate, i made them so air can get into the enclosed structures and dry the glue. They will be covered up.

Also i'd like to thank everyone that has been leaving a comment behind, even if i don't respond to it, i do read them and greatly appreciate them. :]

[​IMG]

28. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I showed my friend who is a Halo nut this thread and she was very impressed.

29. Leon Kowalski

Leon Kowalski New Member

Very impressive! Looking forward to the finished version

30. Cool. I'll try not to disappoint with the final details. ^^

31. There are still many details that need to be added (the bridge for one) before i can start painting, but this past month of work has produced what i can now call a Frigate.

Mooigha! :[ ]

[​IMG]

32. Sean

Nothing but awesome!

33. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Absolutely amazing. This would make an awesome model kit, which I'm shocked the companies haven't thought of yet.

34. I would be the first to buy that!

35. CadetTK2386

CadetTK2386 Well-Known Member

Fantastic. It looks great!

36. Almost done! It sould be ready for the first coat of paint by sunday!
    There are still a few details and some major pieces to be made and added, but overall it is nearly complete. I didn't update for the last two weeks because i ran into some problems with the bridge and had to re-build it, also i hadn't finished the missile hatches, so an update then would have been pointless. For this update i drained the color just to equalize it and give an idea of what it will look like with the first coat of paint.

For the Frigate's name, i've decided not to start a poll and to name it "Winter Of Discontent". Not that i wouldn't mind hearing other name ideas, but the name has really stuck with me and i can't see naming it anything else.

[​IMG]

37. Burke

Burke Member

That's frakin amazing.

38. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Amazing. I want to make something like this as a gift for my friend but I so don't have the patience...not to mention the space to store it until I get to visit lol.

39. Not really related to the frigate, but something i'm also working on in my spare time. It's the emblem i use for the Halo games, i made templates of it and after i finish sewing it, i'll sew it onto the other shoulder.

[Painting of the frigate will start monday]

[​IMG]

40. Merry....er...After Christmas everyone!!! :[ ]

Well, construction on the Frigate just wraped up a half hour ago. Which brings the number of work hours to around 180. Tomorrow i'll be putting on two coats of silver spray paint, on thursday i'll brush the grey paint on, friday i'll paint the details and saturday the clear lacquer goes on. After which my nearly two month labor of love will finally be completed!!

I'll post pictures late tomorrow after the silver has been applied.

41. Stage one of the painting process is complete, with a layer of silver spray paint now dry i can start painting the grey and black on. ^^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Awesome work so far.

43. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Just a quick update on my progress from saturday, the top picture has the first layer of grey paint. (It looks a bit like a crashed alien ship with a burnt hull) The bottom picture is with the second layer of grey and dark grey details. A few more hours of painting, a layer or two of clear lacquer and the frigate is done!

[​IMG]

44. The Frigate has been completed! I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words and suggestions given over the two months it took to build this model, i really appreciated it!

:231 hours of work
    :8 sheets of matteboard
    :7 tubes of amazing goop
    :1 sheet of posterboard
    :3 layers of paint
    :2 layers of lacquer
    :Some Blood
    :A little Sweat
    :No Tears
    :Lots of elbow grease

The final result is just beautiful, the lacquer adds a nice shine and outines the scored details on the surface. I decided to make a stand for it, simulating a section of paneling with scratched paint over metal, a little plaque giving the name of the ship, and i made a M.A.C. round out of the brass end of my paintbrush. I assembled most of the pictures into one collage to save on upload space, but they are still a decent size, so i reccoment saving the picture and viewing it later up close. The second picture i took for the purpose of cutting it out and painting a background for. I chose a red sun because with the red panels i used during the shoot, it formed a red outline around the ship, so this seemed to be the best choice of backdrop. ^^

Tell me what you think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
  45. Teese

Teese Member

Ah! Nergasm! That's super cool. Plans to do any more? The Pillar of Autumn perhaps?

46. The Halcyon class would be a great build, but there isn't enough visual data of it for me to attempt it. (sad face)

47. AuctionedWings

AuctionedWings New Member

Well what I use for my UNSC models is a free program called google sketch up and people have made amazingly detailed models of the savanah in amber clad and pillar of autumn. The pillar model I used was by the user grave heart it is based off the reach design.
    Ps. I'm not trying to advertise sketchup it's just a neat program.

48. Ford W Maverick

Ford W Maverick Well-Known Member

This is amazing! If you even make a kit of this I need to know!

49. vismus

vismus Active Member

Very nicely done!
    Always envy those who can scratch build .

50. Damocles

Damocles Active Member

Very cool!