Found: River's goggles [Serenity]

Mugzy

My first post.. Hope its useful to someone out there :D

If not exact, these are VERY close. I will post detailed photos once I get them in.

Link

Here are the real goggles:
Link

Already ordered mine, so feel free to buy them out :)

Mugzy

The only thing that looks different from those pictures is the ends of the straps. The prop has pill shaped ends, while the ones from the surplus store have box shaped ends. But everything else looks accurate. I think that part could be modified to look right though.

Great find, can't wait to see the detail shots. :thumbsup

I just did a little bit of searching today, and came across these:
35_1.JPG

and as you can see, the ends are the same as the googles in the prop store...
TABS.png

it just needs the text removed. I went ahead and bought a pair of those for about the same price, so I'll probably have to clean them up a little but the details should match.

Yea, I saw that pair on ebay.

The thing I thought looked different is the way the rubber is molded at the top. The original one looks flatter across the top then the one on ebay.

Also, the original seems to have a chrome trim around the eyes the one on ebay does not.

Those are the two features I noticed about the one I ordered. Guess we will compare detail photos when we get them :)

And, I just noticed that the original has thiner buckles then both of them :cry

The slightly different shape looks like it's the perspective... and the eBay ones do have the metal rings around the lenses, you just gotta look closer. But the buckles are definatly smaller. I'll have to solve that with a dremmel I guess. :angry

Ok, I got my River Goggles today and they are perfect in my eyes.
My question is how do you get rid of the Military Surplus Rubber Smell?

<div class='quotetop'>(OhioAstromech @ Jul 13 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1280365[/snapback]</div>
Ok, I got my River Goggles today and they are perfect in my eyes.
My question is how do you get rid of the Military Surplus Rubber Smell?
[/b]
There is always the old tomato juice, works on skunks, might work on the rubber. If you wash it with dish detergent then follow with a rubber treatment like used on tires it should help. Might try it on the strap 1st just to make sure nothing attacks the rubber itself.

Polishing them up with some armor all or armor all ultra shine, depending on how you want then to look (Check the label, no petroleum products, silicone based = no damage) will clean them up and remove a tad of the smell, rubber smells like rubber though, it is kind of hard to mask or remove. Polishes or cleaners will mute the smell somewhat but not remove it.

ooo... very nice. Those buckles and strap could use some trimming, but other then that I'd say it's spot on.

Shiney.

Well, the buckles on the two found items were either cut or punched from sheetmetal... but the screen used apears to be bent wire. So I've got three things I want to try...
1- get some wire of the right guage and try bending one from scratch
2- trace it at 1:1 and laser cut a couple with the tab removed
3- take a dremel to the existing one and hope for the best

I'll also be keeping an eye out for the right type up buckles... but I don't really know where to search outside leathershops or fabric/craft stores.

<div class='quotetop'>(OhioAstromech @ Jul 15 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]1281404[/snapback]</div>
All they did was cut down the tab on the same set I have and gride down the buckle.
[/b]
^THIS^ is what I was gonna try on mine.

Confidence is high, I repeat, confidence IS high. Over.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back