Found prop piece!! (Joe Versus The Volcano)

Scroll to the top of the page, and Click on the "inbox" at the top right.
In the conversation from me, click on the BLUE text. That is the link.
I didn't want to post it to this thread, someone might SNIPE it.

Beautiful. Yes, a larger base would be better.
I realize this is an older post but I'm currently trying to make my own Joe versus the volcano lamp. Do you have a template for the lamp shade or did you find it somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I realize this is an older post but I'm currently trying to make my own Joe versus the volcano lamp. Do you have a template for the lamp shade or did you find it somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

The artwork is attached to a post on <page 6> of this thread. You upload it to here :

<LINK> ORDER A LAMPSHADE

Make sure and read all instructions relating to other people printing this. Yes, I'm giving you homework ! :D

Last edited:
This project is on my to-do list! Always loved this prop (and movie). Thanks to everyone that's sourced all the parts and done the art!

This project is on my to-do list! Always loved this prop (and movie). Thanks to everyone that's sourced all the parts and done the art!

Yes, this project was stagnant for many years, until I Photoshopped the original panel. Others helped me refine and improve my design. And then a real artist (DavesArchives) touched up and improved on my original work and made it so much better. The final artwork is "a work of art". :cool:

Last edited:
Hey guys - just an fyi. I think CCarson had mentioned to have the artwork printed upside down for the lamp shade because zazzle places the fitter upside down. Actually, the fitter is placed on correctly by Zazzle. ONLY follow the posters above directions to printing the art upside down if follow his exact lamp build. If you do NOT follow his exact lamp build, then DO NOT print it upside down. They use a fitter that is supposed to fit around the base of the bulb assembly, hence this is why the fitter is located at the bottom. The fitter is NOT designed to accommodate a standard shade harp and a finial. So please do NOT print your artwork upside down. Just be sure that you lamp bulb assembly can accommodate a 'Slip Uno Fitter'. That is the actual name for this type of shade fitter. The name of the fitter that mounts at the top of a lamp shade and requires a screw-in finial is called a 'washer spider fitter', and is the most common type of fitter. Unfortunately, Zazzle does not make shades that use the spider fitter....and that's really unfortunate. Anyway, just sending out a word of caution to NOT print your artwork upside down if making a lamp under normal circumstances. -Dave
View attachment 750988

***Should you have already made an order with the artwork upside down and has been delivered to you, simply call Zazzle and explain what happened. They will give you a refund in store credit to re-purchase the shades. Yay!

Hello! I'm currently in the purchasing stage of my lamp and just wanted to clarify the lamp shade in Zazzle. I have the pineapple finial, do I need to print it right side up or upside-down?

They use a fitter that is supposed to fit around the base of the bulb assembly, hence this is why the fitter is located at the bottom. The fitter is NOT designed to accommodate a standard shade harp and a finial. So please do NOT print your artwork upside down. Just be sure that your lamp bulb assembly can accommodate a 'Slip Uno Fitter'. That is the actual name for this type of shade fitter. The name of the fitter that mounts at the top of a lamp shade and requires a screw-in finial is called a 'washer spider fitter', and is the most common type of fitter. Unfortunately, Zazzle does not make shades that use the spider fitter....and that's really unfortunate. Anyway, just sending out a word of caution to NOT print your artwork upside down if making a lamp under normal circumstances. -Dave
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 1.41.45 PM.png
I believe he's saying the Joe-lamp is a "washer & spider fitter" (in picture where the RING is at the TOP) and Zazzle uses the "slip Uno Fitter"...(where the ring is closer to the bottom.)

Printing upside down would make the ring be closer to the top. (but not AT the top...?) If you're going to make the rest of YOUR lamp, the same as HIS lamp, you can print upside down and make the ring near the top work.

Alternately, you can print not-upside-down and make the "washer & spider fitter" shape and add (or replace) the incorrect type of fitting from Zazzle.

It needs modification either way, or adjustment to your design to handle a ring at the bottom instead of top.

View attachment 1289467
I believe he's saying the Joe-lamp is a "washer & spider fitter" (in picture where the RING is at the TOP) and Zazzle uses the "slip Uno Fitter"...(where the ring is closer to the bottom.)

Printing upside down would make the ring be closer to the top. (but not AT the top...?) If you're going to make the rest of YOUR lamp, the same as HIS lamp, you can print upside down and make the ring near the top work.

Alternately, you can print not-upside-down and make the "washer & spider fitter" shape and add (or replace) the incorrect type of fitting from Zazzle.

It needs modification either way, or adjustment to your design to handle a ring at the bottom instead of top.
Ah, I understand now. Thank you so much for the quick responses!! Waiting on supplies to arrive and to win my bid on eBay for the statue then I can finally begin.

So, I am very close to finishing my lamp and will post pictures as soon as I am. I just wanted to double-check to see if anyone had advice on adding the motor? I bought the Superman lamp but am unsure where the motor would go. It's not a deal breaker, I can keep the Spiderman lamp for my daughter if I can't make the motor work. Haha

Hey everyone... I used this thread to help create a lamp for my Mom's 60th b-day. I thought I would post a video because:
a) I'm really proud of how it turned out and
b) I wanted to return some of the help I got from this website. I can help out with the music if anyone wants (yes - it's playing music!) and can go into further detail about the mechanics of my lamp.
My one regret is that I didn't create a larger base. It's a bit top heavy, so I'm afraid it might take a tumble, but it's really beautiful. I didn't have time to get the little pineapple thing on top, but with my design it would have been spinning anyway.

Message me if you want help!

Thanks!
Oh wow, that looks amazing. I know you posted this in 2016 and I just stumbled across this in 2020. I just watched Joe v The Volcano again today and decided to try and build the lamp. I have the figurine. How the heck did you get the music and make the lampshade and make it spin. Very impressive.

Oh wow, that looks amazing. I know you posted this in 2016 and I just stumbled across this in 2020. I just watched Joe v The Volcano again today and decided to try and build the lamp. I have the figurine. How the heck did you get the music and make the lampshade and make it spin. Very impressive.
Here is a Google Drive Link to the resources I used. The spinning bulb might be hard to find now. During Christmas they will have similar items, but the one I used was white only. Good luck on your own!

I didn't see it in the thread, but where did the music box clip come from?
This was created by me in a piece of software that can sound like a music box. Any audio clips from the movie are too busy to clean the music out of. If you are interested, I can try to find the software. I went looking for it just for this sound.

This was created by me in a piece of software that can sound like a music box. Any audio clips from the movie are too busy to clean the music out of. If you are interested, I can try to find the software. I went looking for it just for this sound.
That would be awesome!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back