Found prop piece!! (Joe Versus The Volcano)

Sure thing... Here's a Google Drive to some pics of my final lamp and the music file I created. (Joe's Lullaby) I recreated it digitally because the recording I was getting from the soundtrack has extra noise in it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwXZEndD2qwkTjJoSTJSbERqa2M?usp=sharing

Here are some instructions I've emailed to other people.... Good luck!

First, you need to find your Treasure Craft Hula dancing girl on ebay.

Then you need to order your lamp shade on Zazzle.com.
Make sure when you order it, the artwork is UPSIDE DOWN. I had to remove the wire framing because it is designed so that it is on the BOTTOM, but you need it on the TOP.

Item QtySubtotal
aterial=poly&basefinish=none&trimcolor=black&max_dim=255&rvtype=product&pdt=lampinabox_lamp&ve=p.jpg
1$35.95

To rotate the lamp shade, I was able to get my motor out of this toy lamp. It was nice because I had the round gear that fit perfectly on the motor.

p.jpg

2003 SUPERMAN MOTION LAMP
( 141795561451 )

Add note

ITEM PRICE:US $5.99

You can buy similar motors on Ebay alone, but you would have to figure out a way to attach it to the lamp shade.
ITEM PRICE:US $16.73

Next, to get the sparkling, spinning effect I found this.

I got this at BIG LOTS online.

product.jpg
Lightshow White & Blue Kaleidoscope LED Projection Light Bulb

SKU(s): 810310255

The gray glue you see in the images is this stuff. This stuff is the magic. It's SUPER strong after 48 hours. (Like steel strong!)

419%2BIMhY2ML._SY180_.jpg

PC Products PC-7 Two-Part Heavy Duty Multipurpose Epoxy Adhesive Paste, 1 lb in Two Cans, Charcoal Gray
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$15.10

Here is some additional stuff I bought. The lamp socket, the recordable sound player, the cord, the skirting and some drill bits that drill through porcelain.
I would recommend getting a larger wooden base and attaching the lamp pole to that like others online. But, if you want to drill into your Hula Girl, these work!

41PIi43m4sL._SX180_.jpg

Legrand-Pass & Seymour 8052CC10 Medium Base Porcelain Lamp Holder, Bracket Mounted 660-watt 250-volt
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$5.13

51xr4YNQJiL._SY180_.jpg

RE-Recordable PUSH BUTTON Sound Module/Chip (104 seconds)
Sold by: Invite By Voice Product question? Ask Seller
$11.99

​​

41FC9SN22kL._SX180_.jpg

Royal Designs Lamp Cord with Molded Plug, Black, 12 feet, SPT-1 (CO-1001-BLK-12-1)
Sold by: royalLAMPSHADES Product question? Ask Seller
$8.95

61tqCaYExEL._SX180_.jpg

Raffia Table Skirting Party Table Decoration
Sold by: Shindigz
$4.22

51ZHHUAU8PL._SY180_.jpg

ZFE 3/32" to 7/16" (3mm-13mm) Diamond Hole Saw Drill Bit Tile Ceramic Glass Porcelain Marble Hole Saw pack of 10Pcs
Sold by: ZFE® GROUP LIMITED
$8.99

​Just email me with any additional questions you might have. And have fun!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Which soundtrack did you find it on? The regular edition or the " Big Woo" edition?

Not sure...have to do some research. I have three versions of the album and was not aware of the Big Woo edition. I have one from iTunes which is a very limited version, one I ripped from a CD which has more than iTunes but does have the Joe's Lullaby, and also a special press promo cd with only a few songs and no lullaby.

More later...

Not sure...have to do some research. I have three versions of the album and was not aware of the Big Woo edition. I have one from iTunes which is a very limited version, one I ripped from a CD which has more than iTunes but does have the Joe's Lullaby, and also a special press promo cd with only a few songs and no lullaby.

More later...

Yeah, don't have that one, just the iTunes version. That said, I was able to use mp3cut.net to clip the Lamp Lullaby from the End Credits (Time codes 4:08.7 - 4:45.8). There is just a little low strings in the track, but not audible on a small speaker. Had to convert the track to MP3 first (Using iTunes) but then clipping it was fairly simple after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure thing... Here's a Google Drive to some pics of my final lamp and the music file I created. (Joe's Lullaby) I recreated it digitally because the recording I was getting from the soundtrack has extra noise in it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwXZEndD2qwkTjJoSTJSbERqa2M?usp=sharing

Here are some instructions I've emailed to other people.... Good luck!

Thanks for the very detailed response! Great info! I am completing my shopping today! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Found prop piece!!

Hi,
I shared a post about creating the lamp. I can help you with the shade and other items.
Can you share with me the information about making the music box? thanks - Sonny

Many thanks for all of the wonderful information!
I had finished my lamp and actually had it rotating using the "heat" method - but not reliable so I was super impressed to find out what you did to rotate the shade.
I bought the Superman lamp for the motor and the recording device for the music.
Now I realized that you said, "It was nice because I had the round gear that fit perfectly on the motor."
Can you share with me where can I get the round gear?

Is there anything, other than flipping shade upside down when printed, that you would do differently?
Again - MANY THANKS!!

Hey guys - so happy to see y'all still at it! Hopefully it's okay that I did this, but I wanted the lamp shade artwork to have more of a contrasty, hand painted look to it. There were some photoshopped elements to it that I thought could use a hand painted touch. So, I went ahead and painted over most of the mural using my trusty Wacom pad and pen. I will be using this on my next lamp build and thought I'd share to any of you who may be interested in using this version. I'm not sure how to host the full size image - maybe upload to Google Drive? Never done it before but I can give it a shot. -Dave

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 3.00.45 PM.png

Hey guys - so happy to see y'all still at it! Hopefully it's okay that I did this, but I wanted the lamp shade artwork to have more of a contrasty, hand painted look to it. There were some photoshopped elements to it that I thought could use a hand painted touch. So, I went ahead and painted over most of the mural using my trusty Wacom pad and pen. I will be using this on my next lamp build and thought I'd share to any of you who may be interested in using this version. I'm not sure how to host the full size image - maybe upload to Google Drive? Never done it before but I can give it a shot. -Dave

View attachment 750261

What a great update! I haven't tackled my lamp yet but this is really going to get me going. Google Drive is easy, Dropbox is easier IMO. You can also send it out individually or to multiple people using WeTransfer.com

Whatever you decide, keep me posted.

View attachment 750261

Choose just the NEW artwork and use a ZIP program to compress it. You then click on the upload picture icon, but choose the zipped file to upload.

Hey guys - just an fyi. I think CCarson had mentioned to have the artwork printed upside down for the lamp shade because zazzle places the fitter upside down. Actually, the fitter is placed on correctly by Zazzle. ONLY follow the posters above directions to printing the art upside down if follow his exact lamp build. If you do NOT follow his exact lamp build, then DO NOT print it upside down. They use a fitter that is supposed to fit around the base of the bulb assembly, hence this is why the fitter is located at the bottom. The fitter is NOT designed to accommodate a standard shade harp and a finial. So please do NOT print your artwork upside down. Just be sure that you lamp bulb assembly can accommodate a 'Slip Uno Fitter'. That is the actual name for this type of shade fitter. The name of the fitter that mounts at the top of a lamp shade and requires a screw-in finial is called a 'washer spider fitter', and is the most common type of fitter. Unfortunately, Zazzle does not make shades that use the spider fitter....and that's really unfortunate. Anyway, just sending out a word of caution to NOT print your artwork upside down if making a lamp under normal circumstances. -Dave
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 1.41.45 PM.png

***Should you have already made an order with the artwork upside down and has been delivered to you, simply call Zazzle and explain what happened. They will give you a refund in store credit to re-purchase the shades. Yay!

Last edited:
I hope I'm not breaking any rules by replying in an old thread, but I'm working on a different project that requires a rotating lampshade and this thread is the closest thing to it. Would anyone be able to explain to me how to attach a motor to a spider lampshade and wire it to the lamp socket if possible? I got what looks like a microwave motor out of a motion lamp similar to the one ccarson described, but I can't seem to figure out where to put anything.

Send me requests at hszilvasy@yahoo.com, or on Facebook with that email address, Heather Silvasy. I found the same hula figurines/lamp base about a year ago and purchased a bunch. I'm almost done with the first lamp. I will post pictures when I'm done. If you like what you see, I will start taking orders for lamps. This has been my favorite movie since I was a kid, and I've always wanted the lamp so now I'm creating them!

Hi there! I am a newbie and I really want to make this lamp for my father for Christmas..this is our favorite movie. I am having issues though trying to find the hulu girl. I honestly cannot spend a whole lot of money on her. Any suggestions?

Thank you all!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back