Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

I can´t believe I´ve come to see the day where this part would be ID´d without a doubt.

Now I´m going to print Lonepigeon´s outstanding report and go to the air base, to see what I can get.

If it is feasible (meaning if the military folks let me), I´ll fetch one there.

Did someone say Confirmed.... Yowsers Serafino.. It's 2:20am and now I know I will not get any sleep tonight.

If this is truly it, and it seems like it, it will be the greatest discovery since the, well it will be the greatest discovery...

Cant wait to see pics for final confirmation.

Great job to everyone that worked hard and pulled this all together.

Tom

TOO good Andres. Many congratulations.

I can't wait to see pictures of the real deal after SO many years.

A HUGE well done to everyone involved...

:cheers

Howard. :)

Hurray for everyones hard work.

Now we can finally stop looking at sink drains when we are peeing, sprinklers when we are in office buildings, welding torches when we are hanging out at the metal shop and to hell with the echtcheloen (or whatever it's called)

I can't believe it.

YES

I was wondering.. does anyone remember the respective years the grenade, calculator bubbles, graflex clamp were discovered to be part of this saber?
It would be so cool if someone can write a book on these parts.

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Sep 29 2005, 05:11 AM
Show him the gear too. Maybe this engine will finally finish off the prop.
[snapback]1086071[/snapback]​

Agreed. But, in my opinion, you should call it a "splined shaft" rather than a gear.

The clamp at least will be tough to put a time to--there were a few of us who knew what that was long before the net was around. In fact, I bought one, put custom grips made from leather (fairly accurate, too ;) ) on it with screw heads glued on, and sold it at a convention for too little money all before the net. :)

Yessss. Man, I'm totally stoked over this part being nailed.

I actually worried about making the post in the first place - I thought the picture was too blurry, then thought I'd be laughed at for going over old ground - but now I feel Wow.

What a start to the holidays. :D

Phil

Originally posted by Blaxmyth@Sep 29 2005, 07:15 AM
Yessss. Man, I'm totally stoked over this part being nailed.

I actually worried about making the post in the first place - I thought the picture was too blurry, then thought I'd be laughed at for going over old ground - but now I feel Wow.

What a start to the holidays. :D

Phil
[snapback]1086136[/snapback]​

Phil, I´d suggest you to finally change the title of this thread to "Obi-Wan Kenobi Emitter - FOUND."

Congratulations...

Hermes.

Holy moly. I remember when we all thought the OWK grenade was a motorcycle grip.

Let's not get TOO excited though, all this excitement is still based on one man's recollection of what the part looks like (serafino's contact). Although that cutaway drawing looks pretty convincing. And a member of the board still doesn't have one in his possession for ID/measurements yet.

Hats off the Blaxmyth for sparking the search, and to everyone involved in gathering info as well.

Yeah Phil Kudos to you for starting this up, and to everyone who researched it so thoroughly.

Now I have to say, (just to stay in character...) it's still possible this is a red herring, just because some engineer looks at a photo and some dimensions and says this is it, and just because it looks like it in a drawing... :angel

Originally posted by Lin-Si-Tar Konnair@Sep 28 2005, 11:17 PM
Phil, I´d suggest you to finally change the title of this thread to "Obi-Wan Kenobi Emitter - FOUND."
[snapback]1086138[/snapback]​
Oh, Hermes I think I'd wait 'till we have pictures and measurements to really confirm it. :)

Hypo--jinx. ;)

Originally posted by phase pistol@Sep 29 2005, 07:27 AM
Hey. What am I supposed to do with all these sink drains, motorcycle grips, and lawnmower gears? :lol
[snapback]1086146[/snapback]​

Nah, send them over, they´re useless.

*to the onlookers* HEY. Custom Saber material coming, fellas.

No, seriously now...

I just found some F-8s here in Brasil, I´ve contacted the Air Force about their location, since their decomissioning, and I expect to get an answer tomorrow....

It IS 4:44 AM here, after all....

Originally posted by Serafino@Sep 29 2005, 06:03 AM
Well, there is one little itty bitty problem.  I'm not "in the area".  But I've written back and will look into the options.

I need an emergency RPF research grant  :lol
[snapback]1086109[/snapback]​
Why a grant when I'll do the research for free? ;)

Here's what else I've gleened from pouring over the pics:

Check out these photos and the areas circled in red:

Derwent.jpg

Derwent_cut.jpg

With 9 combustion chambers, we're definitely looking at 18 emitters/interconnectors per engine. :) And once again our Fig. 7:

derwent-coupler1a_2.jpg

and my interpretation:

torch_lighter_assy.JPG

I've added the air chambers and externally mounted flanges and friction rings:

air_chambers_1.JPG

torch_lighter_assy_combust.JPG

Use these images when you correspond - make sure your sources know exactly what we're looking for and make it easy for them to find. :)

Now... shall we take a closer look at what may be our "lawnmower gear"? :D

a54-oil-pump.jpg

oil-pump-detail.JPG

One of those gears may not be short, but rather a cutaway to allow a look at other components or fluid flow... Or it could be elsewhere in another gear assembly. Same goes for the number of teeth - the illustrator may have taken liberties for the sake of clarity just as he may have with the number of holes on the interconnector ring. But Phil is right: the edges are definitely like what we're looking for. :)

- Gabe

Those look like an artist's interpretation of involute gears, to me. As I said above, I think that we're looking for a spline.

Look at this: Maybe the spline circled in blue is our boy, or maybe the spline that fits into the shaft circled in red could be. I expect there are other candidates, too.

splines.jpg

Oh wow. I can not understand how I totally missed parts of this thread. This is amazing.
Oh and the inner tube section is thicker at the bottom. I had had the theory that a section of tubing had been put over the inner flange to account for the mismatch against the upper hole. This explains it.. :)

And over here's one who had just bought an obee1 emitter, which should arrive any day now ...:lol

Darth Lars, I'm happy to have helped clarify for you. :)

Miniaturizer Ray - I'm liking that female receiving shaft in the wheelcase main drive that you circled in red - I count 8 grooves in two quadrents, which adds up to 16 total - just like the Obi Wan gear/spline. Here's another view of the same area:

wheelcase.jpg

Could this be the negative of our gear/spline?

gear.JPG

(image sources: Serafino and Parts of Star Wars)

Whoever gets to dig into the guts of this engine first needs to know where this subassembly is located and what fits into that shaft... Based on the manual diagrams, this is where I'd look:

wheelcase_rear.JPG

wheelcase_front.JPG

Good a guess as any, I suppose :)

- Gabe

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back