Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

This is VERY exciting, I talked to a friend (sort of) who has some airplane engines and parts, he's only got modern stuff though and nothing big.

Lets find this sucker.

Ok, I modified my drawing a bit to better reflect what's going on.

I still think someone should try and contact the owner of that derwent page I posted ealier. There's no contact info there, so if someone knows how to contact his web host or something, maybe they can get an email address.

-Fred

Ok, I found 2 websites that may or may not lead somewhere

http://www.internationalcockpitclub.org.uk/index.php

http://www.gasturbine.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/newpage.htm

The first one is a forum of vintage aircraft collectors. There seems to be a lot of british plane talk. They also have an "ask the experts" thing where you can send them a question and hopefully someone will have an answer. If someone is willing to contact them, they might know what we're after.

The second one is the guy who owns that other page I listed earlier. He seems to be an expert with gas turbines and has experience with the derwent mk 8. If someone can come up with a professional (i.e. non drooling wierdo fanboy) email, maybe we can get some info out of him.

Here's to hoping.

-Fred

Originally posted by Gigatron@Sep 28 2005, 12:51 AM
The second one is the guy who owns that other page I listed earlier.  He seems to be an expert with gas turbines and has experience with the derwent mk 8.  If someone can come up with a professional (i.e. non drooling wierdo fanboy) email, maybe we can get some info out of him.

Here's to hoping.

-Fred
[snapback]1085249[/snapback]​
Just write to him, Fred. :) You don't need anyone's permsission and this doesn't have to be a graduate school thesis. Just explain what you're after and be honest about why - he may just happen to be a big Star Wars fan himself...

Be sure to request:

- scaled photos (the part laying next to a ruler)

- different views

- disassemled views, if the components seperate easily.

- access to the part so that a local member can visit to take accurate measurements

- would he happen to know of any spares he'd be willing to part with? Don't mention the words MONEY, BUY, or SELL - he may give you one for free if he's nice (don't look at me funny - it's happened to me more than once. :) )

- Gabe

Folks, a question - IN which craft was this engine used? WWII, probably, but I´m not 100% certain, so I would like to know which craft I should go looking for in the nearby Air Force bases here. They keep some as a sort of open-air exposition piece so you can look up close and all, and I´ve picked up some parts they didn´t feel they needed, and considering this find, and how the crafts here are stopped dead, most likely I could bring home the full engine and no one would notice.

So repeating the question - In which craft were these engines used?

May the Force be with you.

Hermes.

If anyone emails that expert guy, rather than asking him for pics of the engine, I would suggest including that new pic of the emitter from that George Lucas book. He might be able to recognize the part right off the bat.

DS

Engine: Rolls Royce Derwent 8

The British jet we're looking for is the Gloster Meteor F.8 which was introduced in 1949.

The Meteor F.8 was the mainstay of RAF Fighter Command between 1950 and 1955.
The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) received 93 ex-RAF Meteor F.8s for combat service in Korea from 1951 through 1953.

Here are some good numbers so we know exactly how many of these jets were built and where they came from:

A total of 1,183 F.8s were built in all by Gloster and Armstrong-Whitworth, with 23 ex-RAF aircraft supplied to Belgium, 60 new-build aircraft to Brazil, 20 new-build aircraft to Denmark, 12 ex-RAF aircraft to Egypt, 11 new-build aircraft to Israel, 5 ex-RAF aircraft to the Netherlands, and 12 new-build and 7 ex-RAF aircraft to Syria.

Fokker built 150 F.8s for the Dutch and 150 F.8s for the Belgians. Avions Fairey built 30 from kits supplied by Fokker and 37 from kits supplied by Gloster, with these aircraft going into Dutch service.

Info from here:
http://www.vectorsite.net/avmeteor.html

NOTE: In my original research of the IG-88 head I found out there are a couple variations of the "can" that becomes the droid's head. One has the correct large "mouth" holes, the other has a few rows of smaller holes instead. I have no idea how to tell which is which unless the combustion chamber is opened. I'm guessing a couple parts contracters build them differently.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the amazing detective work going on in this thread. I don't know if I am able to contribute directly, but if there is any UK activity that I can help with I might be able to.

I friend that is a prop builder uses this special aviation scrap yard that you can pick anything up and you pay for it by weight. Perhaps I can go and visit this place and take a look around.

Laz

I have just spoken to the scrap yard - and unfortunately they don't have any parts from the Derwent 8.

I asked if they knew of any other possible suppliers and they said they didn't :(

Strangely they may have been the original supplyer of parts for Star Wars back in the seventies. Check them out

http://www.filmprophire.co.uk/index.html

The only other possibilty is that they may have pieces of scrap lying around that they cannot associate with any particular engine. What do you reckon should I pop in anyway? The only thing would be whether I was able to identify a broken down part from it - is it essentially IG88's head you are looking for?

I'm on the trail of 5 Gloster Meteors located at various museums, one within driving distance. I doubt I can get access to an engine, let alone to any engine parts, but I'll post any information that's relevant if it comes my way.

- Gabe

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Sep 28 2005, 03:08 AM

NOTE: In my original research of the IG-88 head I found out there are a couple variations of the "can" that becomes the droid's head. One has the correct large "mouth" holes, the other has a few rows of smaller holes instead. I have no idea how to tell which is which unless the combustion chamber is opened. I'm guessing a couple parts contracters build them differently.
[snapback]1085396[/snapback]​

Very common with military supplied items. Another one that comes to mind is the M9 flash hider for Cantina blaster. Another would be 1911 and 1911a1 pistols.

So it is quite possible that the part used for Kenobi was provided by a different supplier then the one seen next to the grenade. Appears that they had an engine or parts of an engine at Bapty for disassembly.

Other thing is that those diagrams don't mean jack. I don't know of many illustrators who have the eye of an engineer or industrial designer for minutae details of the parts they are drawing.

How many times have you gotten illustrated instructions for putting something together that make no sense when compared to the actual parts you're working with?

If anyone emails that expert guy, rather than asking him for pics of the engine, I would suggest including that new pic of the emitter from that George Lucas book. He might be able to recognize the part right off the bat.

You read my mind, Pat. Keep it simple. Show the guy a pic of the emitter and ask if it's a Derwent combustion chamber inter-coupler, yes or no. That's all the info we're looking for right now. If the guy seems friendly enough, then hit him up for more specifics. You don't want to scare off a stranger by asking him to take measurements and photos for you. Let the guy warm up first. If he says no, then ask perhaps would he know if it were from a plane engine at all. If we're completely off base here, why waste any more energy. It wouldn't be the first time we thought we were inches from a discovery when it fact we were miles

Originally posted by DARTH SABER@Sep 27 2005, 10:31 PM
If anyone emails that expert guy, rather than asking him for pics of the engine,  I would suggest including that new pic of the emitter from that George Lucas book. He might be able to recognize the part right off the bat.

DS
[snapback]1085386[/snapback]​

Much better to use the illustration. The photo part has too much wrong with it. Why risk sending the guy down the wrong road?

Was thinking about another thing.

That inner sleeve has holes in it. Could explain why there appears to be a hole in the center of the emitter in the 3/4 high res shot of the Chronicles photo. I'm talking about the holes that I mistook for the inner grenade insert holes.

Originally posted by gavidoc@Sep 28 2005, 06:10 AM
Was thinking about another thing.

That inner sleeve has holes in it. Could explain why there appears to be a hole in the center of the emitter in the 3/4 high res shot of the Chronicles photo. I'm talking about the holes that I mistook for the inner grenade insert holes.
[snapback]1085486[/snapback]​
Gav, it's in about the right place for it.

The problem with that sleeve is that so far any representation we have of it is proportionately too small in diameter. It's not even as big as the standard emitter designs, let alone more accurate proportions.

Serafino & Gav,

As far as the inner ring not being recessed etc.....what if that inner ring can slide in and out of the sleeve??? That might account for the step. Also, we still don't know if there is supposed to be a step there to account for a gasket. Or whether it's beveled on the face. I do agree that the scale from the drawing seems to point to the wrong size.....but obviously it's too similar not to be hot on the trail of the right piece. Makes me wonder if the exploded diagram is not scaled correctly too. This is a very cool thread. :)

Dave

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Sep 28 2005, 10:34 AM
Serafino & Gav,

As far as the inner ring not being recessed etc.....what if that inner ring can slide in and out of the sleeve???  That might account for the step.  Also,  we still don't know if there is supposed to be a step there to account for a gasket.  Or whether it's beveled on the face.    I do agree that the scale from the drawing seems to point to the wrong size.....but obviously it's too similar not to be hot on the trail of the right piece.  Makes me wonder if the exploded diagram is not scaled correctly too.    This is a very cool thread.  :)

Dave
[snapback]1085495[/snapback]​

this thread is like CSI RPF... without the crime... well from a certain POV. ;)

if this does get cracked here, its gonna be huge.

even though ill never own the thing, this is certainly interesting to say the least.

keep up the investigation. :thumbsup B)

In all honesty, I don't want to take respsonsibility for screwing this up for everyone :lol.

I think we should first decide what it is exactly that we want to know, what pictures/diagrams we want to send and any specific info we want to request. I'm sure there are people here who are far better qualified as part hunters than myself.

We just have to make sure that everyone here doesn't contact him at the same time and flood this poor guy with questions.

-Fred

Originally posted by Prop Runner+Sep 28 2005, 01:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prop Runner @ Sep 28 2005, 01:05 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Sep 28 2005, 12:51 AM
The second one is the guy who owns that other page I listed earlier.  He seems to be an expert with gas turbines and has experience with the derwent mk 8.  If someone can come up with a professional (i.e. non drooling wierdo fanboy) email, maybe we can get some info out of him.

Here's to hoping.

-Fred
[snapback]1085249[/snapback]​
Just write to him, Fred. :) You don't need anyone's permsission and this doesn't have to be a graduate school thesis. Just explain what you're after and be honest about why - he may just happen to be a big Star Wars fan himself...

Be sure to request:

- scaled photos (the part laying next to a ruler)

- different views

- disassemled views, if the components seperate easily.

- access to the part so that a local member can visit to take accurate measurements

- would he happen to know of any spares he'd be willing to part with? Don't mention the words MONEY, BUY, or SELL - he may give you one for free if he's nice (don't look at me funny - it's happened to me more than once. :) )

- Gabe
[snapback]1085254[/snapback]​
[/b]

Just a note on human nature -- the more questions you pelt this guy with, the less likley it will be you'll get worthwhile answers...

Keep it to one or two questions per email.

Most folks, in responding to inquiries, want to keep it fairly short and simple. How many times have you received a PM from someone with so many damn questions you have to go back and re-read his PM four times just to answer them all?

Gabe is totally right in the need to get this info and in being straightforward and honest. Just keep it easy for the guy who is responding. :)

Personally, I would begin with simply "Do you have expertise on the XXX Derwent model engine?"

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back