Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
Check out the nozzle-thingy on the bottom right of the cutaway Derwent engine, just below IG-88Â’s head. Possibly an Obi ANH emitter?

a23-possibleObiEmitter.jpg

ItÂ’s here on these pages:

http://www.gasturbineowners.com/derwent.htm

http://www.gasturbineowners.com/images/a23.jpg

http://www.gasturbine.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/derwent.htm

http://www.gasturbineowners.com/raf_manual_ap4038b_vol.htm

http://www.gasturbineowners.com/raf_manual_ap4038b_vol1.htm

From some of the diagrams, I think it is the torch igniter. Got to be worth checking out. WhoÂ’s got access to one of these in an aircraft museum in England?

I wouldnÂ’t be surprised if we spot some of IG-88Â’s torso and limbs there as well. Maybe, just maybe, even the Obi gear as well. ;) Yours oh so optimistically, Phil

Well considering that it looks like the ANH Flash hider may have came from an aircraft, they may have taken more parts from planes for other props.

Absolutely brilliant find........I"ve looked at that silly diagram over and over and it was right in front of us all along............Here's to hoping its what we hope it is....

Dave :)

I agree that looks promising, the torch relationship sounds good, and the proportions look right.

WhatÂ’s the scale on this?

Found this site that may be of interest.
Rolls Royce homepage.

According to the above press release, they have all the derwent engine drawings in an archive at the Hucknall branch as well as some engines. Maybe if someone were to politely write a currator there, a few of the more important drawings to us could be copied and sent. Or perhaps even a member who lives near Notts, England could arrange a tour and posibly get some info that way. Either way, I think as a group, only one or possibly two people at the most should attempt to contact RR. The more people who bother them, the less likely we are to get any information.

Also, since the engine was used on the Meteor. Perhaps a visit to the local air museum and a talk with the restoration staff might yield some pics or info. If I remember, the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA (near me) has a meteor on display.

Acerocket I agree entirely, researching this should be handled with great delicacy to ensure we get the best information possible.

Originally posted by acerocket@Sep 26 2005, 10:14 AM
Rolls Royce homepage.

According to the above press release, they have all the derwent engine drawings in an archive at the Hucknall branch as well as some engines.  Maybe if someone were to politely write a currator there, a few of the more important drawings to us could be copied and sent.  Or perhaps even a member who lives near Notts, England could arrange a tour and posibly get some info that way.  Either way, I think as a group, only one or possibly two people at the most should attempt to contact RR.  The more people who bother them, the less likely we are to get any information. 

Also, since the engine was used on the Meteor.  Perhaps a visit to the local air museum and a talk with the restoration staff might yield some pics or info.  If I remember, the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA (near me) has a meteor on display.
[snapback]1084308[/snapback]​

Originally posted by starwrslover@Sep 26 2005, 10:39 AM
Howard, I don't think I see what you mean, Help..
Scott
[snapback]1084325[/snapback]​

I think he's talking about the functionality of the piece, read some text at that site and you'll get an idea.

Those patent links arent working for me.
They just say the search timed out.

This one will be a tough search, but hopefully a fruitful one.
I want an IG-88 head.

Aaahhh, got cha. :)
Originally posted by Serafino+Sep 26 2005, 07:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serafino @ Sep 26 2005, 07:07 PM)</div>
Acerocket I agree entirely, researching this should be handled with great delicacy to ensure we get the best information possible.

<!--QuoteBegin-acerocket
@Sep 26 2005, 10:14 AM
Rolls Royce homepage.

According to the above press release, they have all the derwent engine drawings in an archive at the Hucknall branch as well as some engines.  Maybe if someone were to politely write a currator there, a few of the more important drawings to us could be copied and sent.  Or perhaps even a member who lives near Notts, England could arrange a tour and posibly get some info that way.  Either way, I think as a group, only one or possibly two people at the most should attempt to contact RR.  The more people who bother them, the less likely we are to get any information. 

Also, since the engine was used on the Meteor.  Perhaps a visit to the local air museum and a talk with the restoration staff might yield some pics or info.  If I remember, the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA (near me) has a meteor on display.
[snapback]1084308[/snapback]​
[snapback]1084349[/snapback]​
[/b]

The RR museum is at Hucknall ? Never knew that and I do my shopping there every 2 weeks. I only live about 20 minutes away but I dont think its open to casual visitors. I think you have t be a member of the trust.

If I can help though just lmk.

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Sep 26 2005, 04:17 PM
Those patent links arent working for me.
They just say the search timed out.

This one will be a tough search, but hopefully a fruitful one.
I want an IG-88 head.
[snapback]1084477[/snapback]​

The site was very slow, timed out on me several times or I might have found something closer. Also, I believe those are all to recent for the actual item. It is hard to search for older items unless you know the patent numer. So, find newer items and click the links to the patents they reference in their making.

Woohooo. I'm stoked to see it's going well so far.

Just as an aside - did anyone check out the pictures in the manuals on the last two links? There's heaps of cutaways there, plus some have gears that look to have about the same number of teeth as the Obi gear, except they appear to be shorter in the length. Plus I can't figure out how they compare diameter-wise. But it got me thinking, what if the Obi gear is an oil-flinger gear from a scavenger-type pump - might explain the shape of the teeth? FWIW, Phil

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back