Found!!! Obi ANH 'Gear'!!!

Originally posted by Sporak@Oct 19 2005, 08:51 AM
My God...
If we assume that the gear is the right size...look at the opposite ends of it...

The right side pictured looks to be just the right diameter for a Graflex Clamp...and the opposite end to the left, well, I'll just bet the inside dia of an AS handwheel would just fit...

This is too close...and yes, the wire or cotter pin is even in the right place...I can imagine just how it went together now...

20fs2art1fk.jpg

[snapback]1099506[/snapback]​

Sporak, the part that you point to as connecting to the clamp end, is actually part of the flash hider., not part of the booster. I'll try and post pics later to show what I'm talking about.

-Fred

The cotter pin is only there to keep the heatsink from rattling and spinning around (sorry, it's not a recoil booster - to see how a booster works, visit the MG81/Han Solo suppressor thread). The heatsink slips over the barrel extension in the above pic, as opposed to screwing on from the front.

And why is everybody hung up on that .50 cal. round? I don't see the relevance... And yes, the casing stamp IS lying if it says 7.7 - there is NO WAY that is a 7.7mm shell. I have one just like it at home - take a ruler to it and see for yourself: that's 1/2 an inch in diameter... Maybe they made a mistake at the factory or the 7.7 refers to something oher than the caliber.

Rulers don't lie... ;)

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Oct 19 2005, 07:35 AM
And why is everybody hung up on that .50 cal. round?  I don't see the relevance... And yes, the casing stamp IS lying if it says 7.7 - there is NO WAY that is a 7.7mm shell.  I have one just like it at home - take a ruler to it and see for yourself: that's 1/2 an inch in diameter...  Maybe they made a mistake at the factory or the 7.7 refers to something oher than the caliber.
[snapback]1099594[/snapback]​

I agree with Prop Runner. I am no expert on ammunition/firearms, but I do have a rather decent collection of military firearms and can say without a doubt that round is .50 caliber; there is no way that round is a 7.7mm (the British don't have a 7.7mm round, they use the 7.62/.308 round - the Japanese however did have a 7.7mm round). A quick scale of it easily verifies it as a .50 caliber round. The British did not use the metric system for their larger rounds until after the war. The .303 round was a standard round used in a variety of weapons. It is most likely an uncanny coincidence the round is stamped 7.7 on the bottom. The stamp could be a makers ID stamp, it could be the date it was made, I really have no idea. I am not accusing anybody of lying, but from the pic provided, I have a hard time believing that round is a 7.7mm round.

In this link, WWII rifle calibers, there is a post were one member says ".303 in rifles, Vickers heavy machine guns, and Bren LMGs. Lots of aerial .303 use as well.

Limited .50 cal use in aircraft and tanks etc." while talking about British rifle use during the war."

Personally, I hope the .303 version is what we are looking for.

I believe I have found the correct part.

People please coordinate your efforts with Killdozer--none of this mercenary rogue crap please. The guy I contacted already has his radar up because I was the 2nd call--and I called on KD's request.

So please do this in a coordinated way and don't queer the pitch. Please.

More this evening at latest.

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 19 2005, 11:42 AM

People please coordinate your efforts with Killdozer--none of this mercenary rogue crap please.  The guy I contacted already has his radar up because I was the 2nd call--and I called on KD's request.

So please do this in a coordinated way and don't queer the pitch.  Please.

[snapback]1099640[/snapback]​

"queer the pitch"? o_O?

And on a compeletely different, and more relevant note:

I'm consistently amazed at you folks and your ability to track down and ID these little bits of things. It makes for a great show. :D

Holy Crap. How did I miss this, I go away from the forum for a day and this happens.

I hope this pans out to be correct. Thanks to those that are doing the research, I wish you the best of luck in finding out good information.

What a wonderful day :)

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 19 2005, 11:42 AM

People please coordinate your efforts with Killdozer--none of this mercenary rogue crap please.  The guy I contacted already has his radar up because I was the 2nd call--and I called on KD's request.

So please do this in a coordinated way and don't queer the pitch.  Please.

[snapback]1099640[/snapback]​

My PM box is only 9% full. :angel

KD

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 19 2005, 11:50 AM
It's sales talk from the last century--it means "ruin a plan".  ;)
[snapback]1099647[/snapback]​

aha. for some reason I thought it was a baseball term :p

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Oct 18 2005, 07:26 PM
Franz Bolo: Two of the three pictures you are using are the same as the ones I used. My scaling was not quick. The proportions really are off.

I could google a lot for the flash hider, but I really feel not to. I got my fair share the last time.  :p
[snapback]1099364[/snapback]​

I'm not to sure about that. I think it's pretty darn close.

I guess when we see the piece we will know for sure..

FB

sorry, it's not a recoil booster - to see how a booster works, visit the MG81/Han Solo suppressor thread). The heatsink slips over the barrel extension in the above pic, as opposed to screwing on from the front.

Sorry but you are wrong... It's a recoil booster a British M2 to be exact... The correct gun is a 30 caliber AN-M2 (British) Browning machinegun... The fins probably act as a heat sink for the booster but it's not simply a heat sink, it's the booster assembly...

booster.jpg

A whole write up on the gun can be downloaded here...

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/apr03.pdf

Here's a pic I came across on a gun auction site, I'll remove it if anyone asks. This hider is from a Browning .303 AN-m2, maybe we can scale off of this.

_303-flash-hiderA.jpg

You can see the ring is part of the flash hider. I don't know what to make of this piece anymore. It's sometimes referred to as a booster, sometimes it has the ring, sometimes the ring is attached to the the hider, who knows anymore.

Thanks to WC for hosting.

-Fred

Originally posted by Gigatron@Oct 19 2005, 06:58 PM
Here's a pic I came across on a gun auction site, I'll remove it if anyone asks.  This hider is from a Browning .303 AN-m2, maybe we can scale off of this.

_303-flash-hiderA.jpg

[snapback]1099977[/snapback]​

And from that picture you can see the holes that that the cotter pin goes through, and is used to stop the above flash hider from backing/spinning out of the booster assembly it's screwed into...

Originally posted by exoray@Oct 19 2005, 11:02 PM
sorry, it's not a recoil booster - to see how a booster works, visit the MG81/Han Solo suppressor thread). The heatsink slips over the barrel extension in the above pic, as opposed to screwing on from the front.

Sorry but you are wrong... It's a recoil booster a British M2 to be exact... The correct gun is a 30 caliber AN-M2 (British) Browning machinegun... The fins probably act as a heat sink for the booster but it's not simply a heat sink, it's the booster assembly...

booster.jpg

A whole write up on the gun can be downloaded here...

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/apr03.pdf
[snapback]1099948[/snapback]​
You're definitely right about that entire section being a booster (what I mistakenly called a barrel extention) - but I still maintain that the finned heatsink is a separate component that slides over the booster. Othersie I don't see the reason for that cotter pin.

Thanks for posting the PDF - it's very enlightening. :)

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Oct 19 2005, 08:02 PM
Othersie I don't see the reason for that cotter pin.

Thanks for posting the PDF - it's very enlightening. :)

- Gabe
[snapback]1100004[/snapback]​

The cotter simply pin ties the booster and flash hider into a single unit so that the screwed in flash hider (or what appears to be a end cap in absence of the flash hider) doesn't spin off...

You know, looking at the three Chronicles views again, I realize there's no absolute way of knowing if the wire went into the gear at all. It could have been bent 90 degrees again between the teeth and under the clamp. I think the booster, lug and ring, and hider comprise a three piece set.

exoray, I've seen it referred to as a booster more than not, but in the text accompanying Barry's photo, the "teeth" are called "cooling vanes" :confused

KD

Here is another view of the gear.

In this photo, it almost looks like there is a screw hole or something circular to the left of the pin.

gear.gif

FB

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back