Found!!! Obi ANH 'Gear'!!!

I am pretty sure it was the 30 cal version, but I could be wrong.

Yea, trashed :( - couldn't see myself doing anything with it being I bought it for the gear section only...

Wow talk about a near miss. :cry

Still needs to be researched though.

lgtsbr, never throw away cool stuff, someone here would've wanted it for a custom blaster or something. :lol

Originally posted by slave1pilot@Oct 18 2005, 11:19 AM
It's possible that the piece you had was the the 50 cal.
The 50 is bigger than the 30 IIRC.
prhaps the seller made a mistake.
[snapback]1099095[/snapback]​
Is it confirmed that there is a .50 cal. version of this specific part?

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 19 2005, 05:31 AM
Is it confirmed that there is a .50 cal. version of this specific part?
[snapback]1099106[/snapback]​
None of the ground-based .50 cals (which is what you'll mainly find pictures of on the net) that I've ever seen have a heatsink on the front. But then they were used out in the open, not boxed up inside a wing. If the aircraft .30 cals did, can't see why the .50 cals wouldn't.

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 18 2005, 03:59 PM
BY GUM THERE'S GOT TO BE A .22 cal. version..    :lol
[snapback]1099125[/snapback]​

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Holy Moley...
My heart, I can't take it...
This is all too unbelievable...in a good way;)

Wow guys...speechless again.

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Oct 18 2005, 04:39 PM
Why didn't you take a picture of the cooling fins on a saber, lgtsbr?

You are just messing with us right?  :confused
[snapback]1099148[/snapback]​

A couple reasons actually

1 - I couldn't get the 'gear' apart from the front suppressor, so it wouldn't work on a saber

2 - when sitting next to my saber I realized the size difference and said 'no way will it look right'

I believe I did take pics of it next to my saber, but I have to look once I get home later to see if I have any or not

Sorry, I wish was only messing with you guys... :(

Dave

Originally posted by JHVanOphem@Oct 18 2005, 04:59 PM
You know Dave, if it turns out it is the right piece, you'll be kicking yourself for ages?
[snapback]1099165[/snapback]​

Its not, and I won't. The piece I held in my hands was way too big, period. You can believe me or don't, thats up to you... :unsure

OK....

try this out...

lgtsbr says the gear was about 150% too big.

I've been looking at lancaster turrets-- some have the flash hider, some don't. Wikipedia says that not all lancs had .303s. It's hard to tell if they're .30 or .50 without something to scale.

But, methinks, the rifle grenade was shot from a .303 Enfield.

Look at the attached image. I've scaled the grenade (I know, it's not the right Mk) to fit with exoray's image, as we know the parts line up on the prop. Below is a copy of the hider at 150%.

On a completely unscientific level, I don't believe the rod on the grenade would fill the barrel of the larger image.

What do you think?

KD

I'm looking for some better reference (i.e an actual 30 Cal browning without the flash supressor) but with the info I have at hand I make the outside diameter of the front of the barrel jacket about 35mm which is 1 3/8" which whould make the "gear" about the right size.

A Lanc huh... too cool. My Grandfather was a rear gunner in a Lanc. He took the last two shells out of her at the end of the war and had them mounted. I have them.

Here is a 7.7mm shell next to standard 9mm for size comparison. It's a big shell.
lanc77mm7jw.jpg

Originally posted by DARKSIDE72@Oct 18 2005, 09:44 PM
A Lanc huh... too cool. My Grandfather was a rear gunner in a Lanc. He took the last two shells out of her at the end of the war and had them mounted. I have them. 

Here is a 7.7mm shell next to  standard 9mm for size comparison. It's a big shell.
lanc77mm7jw.jpg

[snapback]1099197[/snapback]​

Maybe I don't understand ammo designation as well as I thought (ok, most likely not :)), but how in the world is 7.7mm larger than 9mm? Maybe you meant 12.7mm (approx. 50 cal)? That would be better. Isn't the mm measurement the diameter of the bullet (not including the case)? If so, that big ol' hunka lead is still larger than the 9mm you have next to it.

If I'm wrong about the measurement designation, please correct me as I'm always confused about the relationship between mm and caliber.

-Fred

I put a pic of the saber and a pic of the browning cooling fins next to eachother. It is also too long.
Too bad I couldn't see it from the start...

Well in that auction there is a little pin going through the to parts I am willing to bet that it why there is a little ring going throung the graflex clamp and gear on this saber. Not to mention the size of the heat sink. Look at it in comparison to the guys hands and that is the 30cal version.? The auction looks far to big.

lanholding.jpg

20fs1.jpg

mr-obiwanweathered14.jpg

mr-obiwanweathered6.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back