Found!!! Obi ANH 'Gear'!!!

Originally posted by Barry@Oct 18 2005, 06:56 PM
Can somebody snag and host the pic?

His site will get killed otherwise :)

Barry
[snapback]1098979[/snapback]​
Here:
[image]http://www.therpf.com/archive/obi_gear/7.7_mm_colt-browining_c.jpg[/image]

Here's some info I've obtained:

Its a british MkII browning used in Brit aircraft during WWII. They are .303 cal belt fed browning ANM2's firing at around 1000rpm from an open bolt. Frequently found in twin mounts for the Lancasters and other Brit bombers as well as fixed wing mounts in Hurricanes, spitfires and ????.

The guns are fairly common in the US registry though you don't see them fired much as the links are hard to find. Like the US ANM2 they can be cantankarous if you don't know how to set them up.

Once they are set up properly they are generally pretty reliable. I'll look and see if I have any pic left from the Imperial War museum in London.
I'll post pics as they become available. :)

God, this is FUN. :D

- Gabe

Originally posted by Lordsandy@Oct 18 2005, 05:13 PM
This is Nucking futts.

Awesome find............ :eek
[snapback]1098994[/snapback]​

my sentiments exactly :lol

isn't it crazy? we've spent years trying to figure this piece out - and then in the span of a month or so, we find both parts - I can't remember the last time something like this happened on the RPF

so Andres - does this mean your gear run is hold? :p

Dan

Originally posted by Sidewinder@Oct 18 2005, 06:00 PM
The finned section between the cone and the 'gear', does that appear anywhere?

SAS
[snapback]1099023[/snapback]​
Those fins are machined together with the flash hider cone out of one raw steel rod or welded together - they are not separate components.

- Gabe

That section does look a little similar to the piece used on Leia's ANH blaster, Imperial comlink etc. I kind of doubt those pieces were flash hider parts. They are used too often and even cut in half.

out of curiousity...

how do you think the decision was originnally made to use these parts???

did george take his props department to a WW2 junk yard and say...

find me some random cool looking stuff, then research which ones were odd or rare... then try and make something cool out of em.

???

this question, might require its own thread, but thought id ask...

i mean WTF??? did they intentionallly make the pieces like needles in a planet-sized haystack???

since they didnt think that the original SW wasnt going to be that big, i just dont see it... so was it random that not only these parts are not common, but even variations of the uncommon parts???

i think i just blew a fuse in my brain.

awesome work. to KD proprunner serafino and co. ...

its like having a detective show that you HAVE to watch every day...

i nominate this thread for an emmy. :D

Originally posted by oldken@Oct 18 2005, 06:35 PM
out of curiousity...

how do you think the decision was originnally made to use these parts???

did george take his props department to a WW2 junk yard and say...

find me some random cool looking stuff, then research which ones were odd or rare... then try and make something cool out of em.

???

this question, might require its own thread, but thought id ask...

i mean WTF??? did they intentionallly make the pieces like needles in a planet-sized haystack???

since they didnt think that the original SW wasnt going to be that big, i just dont see it... so was it random that not only these parts are not common, but even variations of the uncommon parts???

i think i just blew a fuse in my brain.

awesome work.  to KD proprunner serafino and co. ...

its like having a detective show that you HAVE to watch every day...

i nominate this thread  for an emmy.    :D
[snapback]1099058[/snapback]​

My feeling on this is, Bapty is a prop house; they probably supplied surplus parts to war movies for some authenticity. They probably bought this junk from surplus stores or collectors who didn't see any value in it - and 40 yrs ago, they were probably right. LFL either went to them and picked odd parts off the shelves, or asked for boxes of miscellaneous militaria to be sent over. Maybe they picked up the Derwent and Dart when looking for parts for vehicles. But I'd be willing to bet the flash hiders and heat sink/gear were probably already strripped off the guns before they got them.

I doubt any part of anything was premeditated.

-Fred

ok, while I think you guys are on the right track, I think that piece may be too big. The reason behind that is I won an auction, from Ebay, a couple months back for a 30 cal end exactly like what is pictured, and it ended up being way too big for the saber compared to the other pieces. Dimensions were almost 1.5 times the diameter of the grenade body

Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore, since it proved to be the wrong size, I trashed the piece :(

Just my 2 cents...

Dave

Check the link, Andres.

"Trashed"? :confused

Maybe it was the .50 cal version... maybe?

KD

edit: sorry, redundant. The seller notes that it migth be from an SBD Dauntless, which had both .50 and .30 caliber guns... keep in mind that the one Barry found is of UK origin and not quite the same caliber. Still, those auction pics are great. :(

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back