Found New Idea For Quills, Very Cheap (Or Frugal If That Makes You More Comfortable) :)

TitanPredator

ok,so I was getting some meat ready for grilling the other day when I grabbed the rubber bbq brush to marinade some of my meat when I noticed the soft rubber bristles and thought, "hey these would make some excellent Predator quills for those of us who are on a budget suit build". So I cooked up the meat & headed over to the dollar store and bought 6 of those brushes, they are very soft & flexible and I've tested a few with left over Plasti-Dip and they look pretty good, I'll post pictures of them as soon as I take more, I hope you all can benefit from this as I have benefited from many of your ideas on this awesome site, thank you :)

2012-01-22_00-08-16_812.jpg

2012-01-22_00-08-36_804.jpg

2012-01-22_00-09-55_597.jpg

2012-01-22_00-10-06_381.jpg

2012-01-22_00-10-12_300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha that IS clever :D I was thinking of using feathers, dunno who came up with that idea. Just remove the fluffy stuff and ur left with a quill. Your method doesn't seem that time.consuming :) good thinking ;)

The only issue is finding a brush with pointed ends as they all seem to be finished flat.
Otherwise they are great. And yeah, cheap! Superb if you are on a budget.
If you manage to find a make that has bristles that end in a point please let us know?
Chris.

The only issue is finding a brush with pointed ends as they all seem to be finished flat.
Otherwise they are great. And yeah, cheap! Superb if you are on a budget.
If you manage to find a make that has bristles that end in a point please let us know?
Chris.

I snipped the ends with some scissors and they look fantastic, like I said I'll post some finished pics soon

I could see a couple of problems. Usually those brushes are made out os silicone. Things don't like glue don't like to stick very well to silicone. Keep us updated on that. Sculpey Bake-n-Bend is pretty cheap.

Super glue , well at least the UK kind, sticks silicone very well, and i can snap my silicone quills before they come off. :cool:

the question i have for you is does the plastic dip come in black? ive heard of it before but have not yet seen it or do you have you have to paint them black, it seems like a really good idea ive tried the sculpey bend and break on a bust i painted and moving it i snapped a couple of them off

Greetings,

I'm an old vet here, saw this post and realized I had something to contribute. The best, cheap quills are made as follows:

Visit your local hobby or craft store, pick up a couple pieces of fake palm grass, maybe $1 per piece. Now paint the tips of the palm grass black, cut to proper length and attach with Superglue. They already have a nice sharp tapered tip, bendable and the action of bio removal doesn't harm them in any way. Hope this helps, my quills have been in place since 2008! Good luck!

the question i have for you is does the plastic dip come in black? ive heard of it before but have not yet seen it or do you have you have to paint them black, it seems like a really good idea ive tried the sculpey bend and break on a bust i painted and moving it i snapped a couple of them off

elder1 the Plasti-Dip I've been using that I got from my local Home Depot comes in flat black
Greetings,

I'm an old vet here, saw this post and realized I had something to contribute. The best, cheap quills are made as follows:

Visit your local hobby or craft store, pick up a couple pieces of fake palm grass, maybe $1 per piece. Now paint the tips of the palm grass black, cut to proper length and attach with Superglue. They already have a nice sharp tapered tip, bendable and the action of bio removal doesn't harm them in any way. Hope this helps, my quills have been in place since 2008! Good luck!

thank you PaintNinja, I might look for that since these quills were too small, I wasn't satisfied with their length, I cut some foam board and rolled them round then dipped them in Plasti-Dip and they look pretty decent

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back