FOUND! AT-AT helmet greeblie

I'll happily lend mine to someone to make copies from. I have also bid on one but I hope to get two :)

Hi All,

Well fingers crossed I can win this auction at a reasonable price I will give the original to Marcus as he really had the flash of inspiration on this.

I would love to get somebody to cast these up as well. Keith your mic tips are the best how would you like to try these out?

I would also say that these things would be mass produced so there isn't any point in freakin out and paying a fortune for an original and basically pushing the price up for everyone else. I think now this is found they may be a lot easier to find.

I am not going to pay hundreds for this thing if one or two come along ever week.

Ebay is an auction site and if anybody else wants to bid on the item then good luck to them its their choice if somebody from the RPF bids then fair enough.

I have mailed the owner to see if there are any markings or serial numbers manufacturers etc on the piece hopefully we will get a reply.

I kind of get the feeling everybody will have original pieces soon :D

Cheers Chris.

By the way, I've noticed that the little handle on the end does not appear to be removable. Looks like its molded as one piece. Maybe this part was cut off?

And does anyone else think that there might be some other details were added inside the cylinder holder? Some electrical greeblies or wires or something?
post-6726-1144001612.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 5 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]1238926[/snapback]</div>
And does anyone else think that there might be some other details were added inside the cylinder holder? Some electrical greeblies or wires or something?
[/b]

It's impossible to determine from the photos we have available to us. In the movie version pic you posted, the interior seems to have a reddish tint. Although the pic in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary definately has some detail such as buttons added.

Hi All,

Just for the record this part is definitely made by BOC according to the seller it is on the piece unfortunately no part number on it.

I also think Marcus is correct the bottom piece does look like it has been cut off. This is possibly so it doesn't clash with the cheek tube???? and fits in place better.

I am unsure if it is just the light reflecting on the interior of the piece that makes it look like something is inside it.

Cheers Chris.

I am unsure if it is just the light reflecting on the interior of the piece that makes it look like something is inside it.

[/b]

I'm not sure Chris, but it looks like there are some wires or something.

[attachmentid=7906]

Nice pic BTW ;)

Hi HDPE,

Your picture looks a bit clearer and it does look like something inside of it.

Is it just me but in your photo does it look like there is something hanging down under it that has been cut at an angle.

post-6726-1146848467[1].jpg

Could this possibly be some type of rope and there is a small knot or something hanging down. My thinking is the rope/wire/cable is attached with a knot through the hole were the piece on the bulb holder has been cut off the original. The rope then feeds through the bulb holder then through the flexible grey pipe.

Just an idea.

Cheers Chris

well, i'm building up an at-at helmet (technically my 4th, but the 3 prior attempts have been craptacular.)

i'm not so picky as to want originals, but i'd love to get a pair of resin/plastic/whatever replicas of those.

right now i'm using the ones from a starfortress helmet, which are similar in shape, but not quite right.

same with my grey hoses leading to them. i'm using gas oven hookup hoses which have the right look, but are a bit too small in diameter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ May 5 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]1239030[/snapback]</div>
Hi HDPE,

Your picture looks a bit clearer and it does look like something inside of it.

Is it just me but in your photo does it look like there is something hanging down under it that has been cut at an angle.

Could this possibly be some type of rope and there is a small knot or something hanging down. My thinking is the rope/wire/cable is attached with a knot through the hole were the piece on the bulb holder has been cut off the original. The rope then feeds through the bulb holder then through the flexible grey pipe.

Just an idea.

Cheers Chris
[/b]

Hi Chris,

You could be right but I wonder if it's not a gap between the "APH-6" and the faceplate kind of similar to the one you can see behind the greeblie's hose.

Interesting idea though.

A

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 5 2006, 04:05 AM) [snapback]1238820[/snapback]</div>
The TE ones are a nice approximation but lack some detail.
[/b]

I have the TE ones and he did refer to them as paint stirrers, but I don't think he ever swore that's what they were.

I always thought they looked familiar, but couldn't quite place them. I suspect this mystery is solved.

Love to have a set if we find the right ones.

Thanks

Meybe it fell off before/during filming? Its there in publicity photos.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 6 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]1239347[/snapback]</div>
Judging by this pic there doesn't appear to be anything inside.

Great detective work guys.
[/b]

The wire here reminds me of the stuff inside the greeblie , what if they had some extra that they stuck into the greeblie :confused for publicity photos :confused

atatwire_1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 6 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]1239355[/snapback]</div>
Meybe it fell off before/during filming? Its there in publicity photos.
[/b]

Possibly considering their eye lense is falling off or maybe only one of the two drivers had them.

This has been a bug of mine and something Ive been investigating for some time now since I had a damaged SDS TIE lid which I'm going to make in an ATAT

The "CO2 charger theory" is one I put forward about a year ago and still something I think is correct. Ive spent a lot of time going round old hardware and junk stores and although have found things that are close, never anything exactly the same. However the principal of having a charger that allows the co2 blub to slip in via the side, and then screw into the main body explains the hole, base screw fitting and the "wings" required to help leverage unit when charging. I dont believe these are domestic drinks related since the old soda bottles the co2 chargers were used with were replaced by the larger "Sodastream" in the late 70's, but it could be linked to other areas (possibly hobby paint applications or even womens curling tongues which used the same size gas cannisters)

I put my ideas to John Mollo last year which he thought believable but couldnt say either way - despite having a great drawing of the modifications fro the TIE to AT-AT in his ESB art book.

Here's a composite pic I shared last year on RPF, RPB and Omega Wing more recently which show the part in more detail. Note that I dont have the full pics at this resolution, just the part details which were provided by a friend in confidence.

AT-ATgreebly.jpg

Ive recently received a Laws/TE ATAT kit which has the greeblies and are probably the closest Ive seen up to now, however the one that Chris has posted seems the closest - DAMN CLOSE.

ef_1_b.JPG

Cheers

Jez

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back