Forget Peparuka. Check this 3D printer out!

You´re not around the forum too much lately, are you? :p

Head over to the Junkyard and search for 3D printed Iron Man helmet, from original movie 3D files. ;)

EDIT: And they skipped a few steps in the making process, I´d say. Scanning the item won´t leave them with a working model of the wrench. Or are the scanners so advanced nowadays?! I don´t think so.

They should have printed the wrench in metal anyway.

You´re not around the forum too much lately, are you? :p

Head over to the Junkyard and search for 3D printed Iron Man helmet, from original movie 3D files. ;)

EDIT: And they skipped a few steps in the making process, I´d say. Scanning the item won´t leave them with a working model of the wrench. Or are the scanners so advanced nowadays?! I don´t think so.

They should have printed the wrench in metal anyway.

I thought it was fairly funny when he selected the area to turn red and even parts on the inside of the wrench turned red in the editor, gave me a good laugh... A 3d modeler spent a good hour or 2 getting that model from the scan.

3D printing is amazing, but printing something with moving parts? Soon we'll be able to print tools and weapons (and props of course) in our own home perhaps!

3D printing is amazing, but printing something with moving parts? Soon we'll be able to print tools and weapons (and props of course) in our own home perhaps!

That's actually one of tricks people like to show off with some of the more advanced printers with multiple materials, sintered powders, or lithography (and probably a couple more I'm not aware of). It's pretty cool. I can't wait for it to become more affordable (machines, consumables, etc).

Like this thing (Image doesn't seem to be working, but it's the first thing I gis'd)

Edit:
Whoops, Should have watched the video first to see that exact toy... Anyways...

id like to know the machines current limitations - can you imagine in 5-10 years time how advanced this can get - this printer is like the introduction of a home colour photo printer......so much scope for advancment.

in the future this will be like flat screen tvs - the price will come down so much as it takes off and it will become affordable to do. just right this moment if you have the money to buy the equipment you stand to make a very good profit if you have the work load for it before everyone starts offering the service - thats when we see the price lower.

technology and its advances never sieze to amaze me nowadays - very soon any hand craft will be obsolete :(

They're really cool, but there's still lots of limitations. Mostly it's the price, not only for the machine, but for the printing material. But to get a machine with good quality is extremely expensive.

And still, it takes quite a lot of work to design a model for printing. Which is probably why it won't become affordable very fast. For it to become affordable, the average consumer would have to be able to use it, but many wouldn't be able to make the models. So the only thing consumers could do is download premade designs and print those, but not anything of their own desing unless they want to spend a long time learning the software.

I've always liked this video......it makes me giggle like Pops from the Regular Show everytime I watch it.

Ball Bearing!!

Pops.jpg

I'd venture to say you are looking at between $20,000.00 and $40,000.00 for the "high end" machine with maybe a 12"X18" working surface(possibly a tad larger?).I could be WAY wrong and/or off.....but I seem to recall that being the general average for a 3d printing machine.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back