Force Awakens TIE questions...

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Keycube, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Keycube

Keycube Well-Known Member

It looks like we've seen two versions of TIE, the more traditional version with the old-school wing mounting assembly (only seen - by me, anyway - in the flying scenes), and the "spec-ops" version, with the auxiliary guns and robust wing mounting...

joystickreport.jpg

First off, is what I wrote even accurate? Does only the spec-ops version have the new rear window for the additional gunner? (Sadly, It only struck me recently upon a re-watch that the TIE that's blasting up the hangar in the trailer has its rear end facing us).

Also, does anyone think that the spec-ops version may convert into a ground assault vehicle of some sort, necessitating those large mounting points (for some sort of ground-tractive device) and making use of those moveable, more versatile guns?

Thanks!

2. Gnar Gnar Jinn

Gnar Gnar Jinn Active Member

indeed it does have a rear window, That was the first thing i noticed in the new trailer! For a second I thought it was the new front :D

Rumor has it that there's a gunner back there, and I believe there's a toy that gives it away, actually, upon closer look at my spec ops tie, it does indeed look like there is a back seat.

3. Galactican

Galactican Well-Known Member

I've just re-watched the trailer again. The first scene presenting TIE's in flight features the more traditional version.

4. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Bandai has two versions of the new tie, one being the special ops version.

The regular version does not have the gear like wing mounts and I believe is a one seater.
    Bandai-First-Order-Special-Forces-TIE-Fighter.jpg

The special ops version is a two seater and has the gear like wing mounts and window in the back
    csm_06751__D_01_TIE_FIGHTER_ab239066b0.jpg

5. Hunk a Junk

Hunk a Junk Sr Member

Did Bandai announce a special ops version? I thought of the 5 kits announced (trooper, MF, JJ-wing, BB-8/R2 and TIE) there was only the regular version TIE.

6. Galactican

Galactican Well-Known Member

Could it be that the kit contains optional parts to build both versions?

7. jkno

jkno Master Member

There was a TIE Crawler (TIE tank) in the old EU: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Century_tank

But what I'm curious about is how the belly guns on the TFA TIE works, because due to the large wings you can only shoot front and back, no lateral, so the gunner himself is quite restricted.

8. edge10

edge10 Sr Member

9. SGK

SGK Member

10. Hunk a Junk

Hunk a Junk Sr Member

Yup. Is it too much to dream of an an A-wing/B-wing combo kit (since a 1/72 A-wing is too small for its own kit) or even (horrors) a prequel kit or two? We need some supernatural intervention to make this happen. Now where did I leave that sacrificial goat...

11. SGK

SGK Member

RotJ kits are the only things missing from their OT line. As one of those waiting for a good model of the A-Wing, you're right about the size; they may release one in 1/48 instead like the Snowspeeder but it'll look out of place beside its starfighter brethren.
    If Bandai ever starts making some prequel kits, a (Vulture) Droid starfighter from them could be amazing.

12. Hunk a Junk

Hunk a Junk Sr Member

Oh, I can think of a few people who'd love a Blockade Runner, star destroyer, escape pod, AT-AT, cloud car and Executor in addition to any remaining ROTJ ships. ;)

Agreed. Really, if Bandai only did the Republic gunship with the side bubble guns, I'd be a happy nerd.

13. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Yep I agree about starcraft, but they've given us the fantastic AT-ST & Speeder Bike

J

14. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm kinda bummed about so much black in the new stuff.

Black is not NEARLY as much fun to weather

swgeek likes this.
  15. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Yeah, I'm not crazy about this black trend we seem to be seeing.

16. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never thought about it until now, but considering that the tie's and shuttle are all black, that my be very telling about the setting of the next film.

A major complaint of Abrams' star trek franchise is that he never really left earth. I think he enjoys having a planet as a reference for the epic-ness of dogfights.

17. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

I've thought about that too. I would think black ships would be harder for audiences to see against the blackness of space. If all the dogfights are planetside, that makes more sense.

18. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

The moon is almost as dark as an asphalt road, yet look how bright we see it in the sky. So those black ties when lit by a bright sun in the void of space will actually look more grey than black and still should show up easily against the absolute absence of color that is space

SorenAchille likes this.