Force Awakens Luke costume

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Looch, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Alright, gonna start on Luke's outfit for the Force Awakens premiere-well, technically the pre-show, not the Christmas day show. Only have the one shot so far, let's see what I can come up with! 330fa3c9f1499a9089c44d6abe2abc4db9da7cca1ff2debbdff42bd2da665997_large.jpg

Luke the Belter likes this.
  2. Starwoid

Starwoid Well-Known Member

The movie PREMIERES on Dec 18, not Christmas. So if you are wearing it then, it would be the premiere, not a PRESHOW.

WhillB likes this.
  3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Looks warm enough though to be wearing in December . . . which of course is an added bonus ;)

Chaim

4. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

Looks warm enough :) and definately a cool robe. Luke looks like a old dude you wouldn't stress with.

5. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

It looks like it's based on a standard Jedi Robe. Someone that has made a Jedi Robe or 2 could probably knock this out fairly quickly.

6. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The shirt looks like what he wore in ROTJ, but light.
    We need more pictures of the shirt, belt buckle and belt pouch.

7. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I guess the whole Luke is now Ben thing is gonna happen. I was hoping for that in Ep 10 and this be one last great adventure for our OT heroes but I guess it's not to be. Looks like Luke is retired and just looking for a Sith to stand in front of and die.

One of the few not happy about Ep 7 :(

8. OnFire5210

OnFire5210 New Member

Whoa whoa whoa, who said Luke's gonna be retired? He just looks his age. I fully expect us to see one epic force-fueled *-whopping from Master Skywalker, especially before Ep VIII.

LTsmash1200 and JJ Griffin like this.
  9. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I hope so. Looks like Old Ben robes, not backside kicking 60 years young Jedi robes.

I hope you are right, I really do but I am worried.

Would love to see Luke really be the star and hand it off to the kids in Ep 10 but that's just me.

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Staring three unknwon characters and Han Solo.(The guy who did not want to do anymore Star Wars.)

And special cameos by:

Leia and Luke and maybe Lando in the second one.

Sorry. Just a bit bitter about how TFA is shaping up:cry

13doctorwho likes this.
  10. Looch

Right-thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I think you guys are right, a warm robe, to be sure. A fairly standard Jedi robe is gonna work just fine!

- - - Updated - - -

Based on this one single pic, I agree.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  11. Looch

So, based on the only available picture, I make the assumption that this outfit consists of:

-a floor-length robe of pale taupe/brown, with a v-opening almost to the waist
    -a white undershirt with a western yoke and a collar the same colour as the robe, same cut as his RoTJ outfit
    -shoulder armour, floor-length in white
    -Jedi robe of pale taupe/brown
    -mystery belt
    I am using the monk's robe(McCalls 4627) as his under robe, with some modifications. As the fabrics are non-stretchy, I will be utilizing the dickie idea for the collar. I am also using the patterns for the shoulder armour, dickie and robe from the obvious SW pattern set(Simplicity 5840). Still have to dye the fabric.

12. Looch

IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2190.JPG And here are some pics. I have no idea why the choose to come up sideways!

Attached Files:

JJ Griffin likes this.
  13. Looch

IMG_2191.JPG Here it is with the shoulder armour. Seriously, anybody know what to do about these stupid sideways shots?

14. Looch

View attachment 519601 Here it is with the shoulder armour. Seriously, anybody know what to do about these stupid sideways shots?

15. Looch

IMG_2192.JPG And waiting for the dye to dry. Dylon Multi-purpose, Desert Dust. Fabric is muslin.

16. Looch

IMG_2193.JPG Beginning the robe-gotta dye it still.

17. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Seems like you're in a flow ... and it's because you load your pictures directly onto the site without renaming them in a seperate photo-software is causing the angles ... it's somewhere incrypted in the thumbnails of the original picture ... however when you click them larger they load normal but super huge ... always best to resize your pictures to 827x620 at 100 dpi and renaming before uploading.

Chaim

18. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Wow you are in a flow, indeed. The robe looks good and the predator mask (?) adds to the costume ;)
    Keep up that fast work.

19. Looch

Thanks, I am so not computer savvy!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank very much, I will-see the next post!

20. Looch

IMG_2196.JPG Closing in on the finish line!

21. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This escalated quickly, haha.

Looking good.

Epona_Rhi likes this.
  22. Looch

Now, all I'm waiting for are pics of whatever action figures might be coming out-c'mon Hot Toys, daddy needs a new point of reference!

23. garymorris

garymorris New Member

Too cool for School!!!

24. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not entirely convinced the color is correct. Sometimes when they laser scan a character from a movie they dress them in either white or brighter colors cause it helps with the laser scan detail. Look at all the stacks of cameras around him. It might be a part of that process. I dunno, just spitballin here.

25. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

I'm loving this build, but I'm thinking the same thing about the color. Just thinking about the trailer, when he puts his hand on Artoo, he's wearing a dark robe.

If you know any spoilers, there are rumors as to what would explain this, but I'll just keep that to myself (since I'm too lazy to learn how to do spoiler tags).

26. Looch

Yeah, I get that. I'm just working with what is out there right now. I can easily make a different robe if it comes to that.

27. Looch

Thanks, glad you're liking the build. As I mentioned to Luuke, I can make another robe if I need to. Just need more pics!

28. Looch

I took a robe I made in '89 and threw it on-look better? IMG_2208.JPG

29. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I love the creative use of that black plastic belt buckle ... nice heavy robe too ... just the way I like them to be :)

Chaim

30. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whether it's just for motion capture or not, I like the way it looks in the original pic better. It gives him a more holy look. I'd go with what you were doing before.

31. totallyjem

totallyjem New Member

I'm hoping for more reference in time to put one together for halloween but I might have to do a jedi luke and do this closer to the movie...

Looks good based on the only reference available...one cool thing is my beard is grey in just the right spots for old luke LOL

32. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

I agree with the scan theory that the colors are different. I remember seeing episode III behind the scenes stuff and I saw a complete Darth Vader costume that was white and off white.

33. Looch

IMG_2279.JPG Finally got the robe dyed! And now that I take another look at Old Luke, I think he might be wearing a cloak, not a robe. Back to the sewing machine!

34. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is coming together great!!

35. mburkit

mburkit Active Member

Yeah, I would agree with that: Looks like Luke is wearing a cloak, not a robe, like he did in Jabba's palace in ROTJ. The big tip off to me for that is that brief shot in the last trailer you see of Luke putting his hand on R2.

Luke Sleeve.jpg

36. noble 10

noble 10 New Member

looking foreword to more builds like this

37. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know this is a crazy thought but this just hit me. What if this isn't Luke? Forgive me for the crazed fan theory and if this is confirmed to be Luke through other posts that I haven't read, but what if this is someone else? The only reason that I say this at all is because of his hand. I know that the whole prosthetic hand can change, maybe he needed a new one, maybe something happened to his old one, and also that special effects back then for a robotic hand all the time would have been a hassle. Yet his hand was made with a synthetic skin in ESB and ROTJ. He wears a black glove to cover the fraying wires and metal that were showing when his hand sustained a blaster shot in ROTJ, but he still had synthetic skin. So why would he go back to a bare metal hand? Maybe this was one of those "Just for the trailer" scenes that are common in movies, but it's still a thought I can't get rid of. Why would he wear two different robe/cloak styles? why would his hand be different? The cloaked figure also appears to be rather thin under that wardrobe. Maybe its just the angle he (or maybe even she?) is sitting at that makes him look thin, but so far that's 3 things that I notice that just seems off from the photo at the beginning.

TL;DR What if it isn't Luke next to R2?? :eek Seriously though am I crazy or has anyone else thought this??

38. mburkit

mburkit Active Member

I'm like 75% sure its Luke in the trailer, touching R2. The only thing throwing me off is the hand; everything else screams "Luke" to me: he's with R2D2, he has a robotic right hand, he's wearing a cloak, the voice over from Mark Hamill also is indicating it.

I'm pretty sure Luke is wearing this outfit (from ROTJ), but in a white/cream color scheme instead with a longer outer tunic and tabard as a throw back to Old Ben plus his ROTJ belt over the obi and a cloak (a la Jabba's palace entrance also from ROTJ).

vlcsnap-2015-09-17-18h14m04s990.png

But that's all speculation from me. I could be completely wrong considering we have one leaked photo and a 2 second long clip of someone who MIGHT be Luke.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  39. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

The robotic hand looks awfuly sinister for a benevolent Jedi, still no where near a bad as the T800/Skeletor hand they gave Anakin at the end of AotC.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  40. halliwax

my theory is, he pulled the fake skin off to remind him, if you go down the dark path he'll most likely end up like his father "suffering". Kinda like how Luke snaps out of his rage when he cuts off vaders hand then looks at his own robot hand...

as for it being Luke with r2. It's pretty much been confirmed, if your check out the spoiler section. I haven't read too much in there but once I saw this scene I knew I had to answer it. And sure enough the scene is explained

- - - Updated - - -

The hand has a very ironman feel to me, I like it

41. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like that thought, it definitely fits with ROTJ Luke's mindset. I have purposefully stayed away from all of the super spoiler areas so I figured it was probably explained somewhere. I also agree with the Iron Man feel, it looks awesome!

halliwax likes this.
  42. Looch

Alright, crazy theories aside, here is the new cloak I made today. Brown gabardine, very happy with it. Next up, the robotic hand! IMG_2295.JPG

Sym-Cha likes this.
  43. halliwax

i love everything about it! you sure are making serious progress with this project

44. Looch

Thanks, brother-wait'll you see what I do for the hand!

45. halliwax

can not wait to see it!

46. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Anything new? I've been thinking about making this costume, and am eagerly looking forward to more reference material...

47. Looch

Nothing so far, but I will be making a new robe, now that I've seen what his really looks like. Gonna pick up the Visual Dictionary tmrw to see if there's any pics.

48. Guff

Guff Active Member

No Luke in the Visual Dictionary I'm afraid.

49. Enigma1337

Enigma1337 New Member

Well the movie is released.. ;)

50. Looch

Yeah, gonna have to go again and try and get a sketch of the belt. Anyway, I re-did the cloak, and I'm happy with it:) IMG_2370.JPG