Foamies?

DavidCoppola

Hi, I keep hearing about work that's done with Foamies and was wondering what exactly they are? Just pieces of foam?
I'd like some info fro a possible project.

Sorry, just new to to the whole thing.

Foamies are usually 12" by 9" 2mm/3mm foam sheets you can buy at craft stores. They are 'workable', but most folks want something thicker. Camping mats and/or garage mats are used a lot for builds, but several of us have had a lot of luck (and fun) working with the Closed-cell EVA foam sold via Caroline's ebay store - Wandy Foam.

GraphicJordan pointed me to Wandy Foam, which sells a variety of EVA Closed-Cell foam via ebay. It was a GREAT referral, as Caroline has been wonderful to deal with!

All the foam I've used for final pieces on Mikey's armor came from here, so I definitely recommend them. :thumbsup

Product links:

4mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $6.00 (5/19/11)

3mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $5.00 (5/19/11)

Omg, awesome links indie!

Yeah the downfall with foamies is that they're not very thick and can rip and wrinkle easily. I usually have to re-do/replace alot of my fun foam work because of wear and tear :\. I made my boyfriend's Tron program armor out of it, and it took a lot of damage at Dragon*con and will have to be fully repaired. ALL foam will wrinkle with heavy stress application, but it's good for non-stress costuming.

A good tip to have while using thinner foam: BACK IT WITH FABRIC! It will cut the wrinkle/rip effect in half. Plasti-dipping it will also create a better finish.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back