Foam question Warmachine

PepIronman

Hello,

My Name is Rinse and i want to build an war machine costume from foam. Which thickness is the best for a costume? I saw 2 mm foam plates on ebay for a nice price but 4mm i can''t find the right foam. So where can i find the best foam?

i''m from holland and can''t find the right foam.

everyone seems to like using the 6mm foam. I personally like 6mm for everything except the abs, neck and I made some filler pieces for the joint areas out of 4mm.

Thanks for the info. Maybe some resources for eva foam? I did a google search but cannot find how much i need for a full suit without helmet.

Try arts and craft stores. I was very close to ordering a batch off ebay but I held off. I figured it would be alot cheaper to find it locally and it was :)
I agree with Jowe, 6mm for everything except abs, neck etc. You gotta start first then you'll know the best method!

I'd strongly suggest Caroline's ebay store - Wandy Foam.

GraphicJordan pointed me to Wandy Foam, which sells a variety of EVA Closed-Cell foam via ebay. It was a GREAT referral, as Caroline has been wonderful to deal with! I only used 3mm foam for my son's build and Jordan uses her 4mm foam for his adult-size build (link below), but she has several types available and the quality of her material is WAY better than the local craft store.

All the foam I've used for final pieces on Mikey's armor came from here, so I definitely recommend them. :thumbsup

Product links:
4mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $6.00 (5/19/11)

Hope that helps! :):thumbsup

I've been using some half inch thick foam mats with good results I picked up some thin stuff.. probably 2-4mm for the neck and i might use it for hands but it's really flimsy. for the major parts of the suit the .5 inch should be great. Tonight I'll be starting the upper legs with .5 inch mat (to replace some fiberglass thighs i have now) I'l put photos up soon.

I've visited wandy foam but the shipping costs are twice the price of the foam. So maybe arts and craft store in my neighbourhood i think

I went and got myself the same Best Step mat, from Sears for $20. one question I do have though, is will one roll be enough, or should I get another? I got the 47x93 I think it was. 29 square feet if I remember correctly

I went and got myself the same Best Step mat, from Sears for $20. one question I do have though, is will one roll be enough, or should I get another? I got the 47x93 I think it was. 29 square feet if I remember correctly

For me no. One roll is not enough. With one roll I got the chest, back, shins, shoulders, biceps, and forearms done. I still need more (just a little though) for the thighs, abs, boots, and any other little filler spots.

Thanks. I'm going to look at the DIY store in my neighbourhood to look if there are such mats. Is a Yoga mat doable?
Most yoga mats have a texture to them and are less rigid. It is almost equivalent at to make it from 2mm foam but slightly stronger. Personally I would stick to 4mm and/or up to 1/2in.

Try looking within your area first because it'll be more expensive to import. find where the shoemakers buy their rubber soles. that would be your best bet. :) here we use 4mm thick rubber. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back