Foam Matt Latex Dread

Canalien

Hi Hunters! After buying a BB P1 head I realized my velvet dreads on my foam head just wouldn't cut the mustard.So I thought I would try my hand at a latex dread using foam ( as in yoga mat foam). After drooling over Bambooie and Hez Dreads I attempted my own with what I had. Hope you like them!
Thanks for looking!
Rhonda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah9xQQoXq-0

Really great vid!

How did you get the point? Thats always been my problem.
I cut it on a angle and hot glue the foam, then pinch it with my finger. Now timing is everything, just wait enough that the glue doesn't cool and pinch then trim with scissors.The foam yoga mat is strong but softer than Backer Rod.Hope that helps!cheers

where do u get that foam
The Dollar store $2. 6' long and 4' wide. The mat is like a nerf texture, soft enough to work with and strong enough to use. The armor on my boots and chest armor, gauntlets, back pack and cannon are made from the same mats. I just tinted latex and painted over so that if they got wet they would have a little protection.
Cheers

Nice one, I like it!

I do the dreads on a mold with latex and gauze bandages. I should try to fill in sand too, just for the points.
:p

Thanks so much guys. Thinking its cheap looks good and if you lose or get one ripped off, its a jiff to replace!
Cheers

:) Very cool! I may have to try this. I used baker rod to make mine. They look good, but there's not much flexibility to them.

hey i know im way late, but i just wanted to suggest using a glue other than hot glue. hot glue loses all adhesiveness after awhile, like a year. so if you want your props to have some shelf life you most likely will have to use a super glue or epoxy. i have used hot glue for many things but i notice that the items needs to be fixed after a year or so.
it does have some applications where this is not a problem, but when glueing foam and plastics is where i notice the breakdown.

kudos to you though the dreads look awesome.

hey i know im way late, but i just wanted to suggest using a glue other than hot glue. hot glue loses all adhesiveness after awhile, like a year. so if you want your props to have some shelf life you most likely will have to use a super glue or epoxy. i have used hot glue for many things but i notice that the items needs to be fixed after a year or so.
it does have some applications where this is not a problem, but when glueing foam and plastics is where i notice the breakdown.

kudos to you though the dreads look awesome.

I don't think in this case the hot glue should be a problem since the dreads were coated with latex. But yeah without adding the latex the glue would probably give you problems.

you can make good flexable dreads with round foam insulation used for filling commercial window gaps before sealing the edges with caulk. You take this insulation make a nice tip then coat it with latex and paint it black or dont coat it if you're on a budget the foam is already black . You can fint it at a hardware store

Hi Newpred You are right! But Backer rod is a little too rigid for the look I was after. I was looking more for a natural swing ,latex dreads look and flow beautifully.I will be posting a pic of my dreads on my new head I just painted, showing this!
Cheers
Rhonda

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back