Foam Lining for boxes and best place to find the right foam

Plokman

Hey everyone, I hope that one of you out there will be able to help me but I came to a realization a few weeks back. As many of you already know to get my skills up to snuff I am starting my wood carving and prop making with the simple yet elegant if done right Pottermore Wand Props, as I fully intend to sell them as well as making ones for friends I am of course going to be making custom boxes for them just like Universal has for their replicas and Olivander's wands, but they do one thing I can't do currently and even with the right tools I'd need advice on what to do to get it right.

All wands have a Vacuum formed holder in the boxes, these are designed to grip the wand while in the box so it can be displayed or just to keep it in the box. I do not own any vacuum form setups and Plexiglas is a bit out of my price range for now, so I wondered what could I do to secure the wands in the box and the other day I found a solution. I received a Pen with a Laser in the top (I love the novelty of Lasers in pointers and pens and I may be able to use it as a laser level who knows) the pen was in a small plastic box with a foam insert holding the pens and the batteries in place and I knew I needed to figure out the type of foam in it for my wand boxes.

So as I have asked before and please help if you know, anyone know of a good option to use in making the holder, like the kinds of foam insulation material that would hold it's shape and can be cut with a knife? Really do appreciate any help. Sometimes it feels like I come off as annoying and everyone avoids me like the plague. Sure that's my imagination but still three topics no replies ever am I a blinking jix here?!

Maybe I'm posting these in the wrong section. Anyway enough of my babbleing, just let me know if you got any ideas. Take care and hope your weekend is well, mine was to a degree but half full.

I use upholstery foam as it comes in a range of colours (I use black or dark grey usually) and come in different densities. I buy it in inch thick sheets so I can layer the boxes up, its much easier to cut right through a 1 inch sheet than try to sculpt out a shape from a thicker piece. Easily cuts with a craft knife and I stick the layers together with double sided carpet tape.

1946febb54abbcddd8423b82bf4820c9.jpg

If you want to class it up a little ive used satin over the foam to give a nice plush effect.

IMG-20181217-WA0003-800x450.jpg

Hope that helps.

I use upholstery foam as it comes in a range of colours (I use black or dark grey usually) and come in different densities. I buy it in inch thick sheets so I can layer the boxes up, its much easier to cut right through a 1 inch sheet than try to sculpt out a shape from a thicker piece. Easily cuts with a craft knife and I stick the layers together with double sided carpet tape.

View attachment 992989

If you want to class it up a little ive used satin over the foam to give a nice plush effect.

View attachment 992990

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much, I was thinking of sprucing up the liner and the Satin makes perfect sense I will check out the foam hopefully it's reasonable.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back