Foam latex appliances, how do you paint them?

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just received some foam latex appliances and I'm wondering how it would be best to paint them?

I was going to use regular acrylic paint.

Rubber mask grease is one of the best paints to use.
That's why I was asking him how they were going to be used. Acrylic will crack on an appliance being worn but would probably be OK on a mannequin display. I don't have the RMG grease, so I have to treat my appliances with castor oil, then use standard grease paint. Works about the same.

Treating with castor oil is VERY important. I ruined an appliance 3 months back by forgetting that step. Mehron makeup is great for doing a seamless transition from appliance to skin, imho.

Treating with castor oil is VERY important. I ruined an appliance 3 months back by forgetting that step. Mehron makeup is great for doing a seamless transition from appliance to skin, imho.
Oh yeah! I couldn't figure out years ago why my pieces blended with my skin pretty well when I put it on, but by the end of the night it was much, much paler that my skin. I already had a bunch of reg. grease and didn't want to reinvest in the RMG. Then I found out about the castor sealer. Works great.

They will be worn as part of a costume.

Is this grease, or mask paint the stuff sold in stores around Halloween?

In case you can't tell, I'm completely new to this SFX makeup stuff, this will be my first foray into that new world.

The Rubber mask grease you'll have to get from a makeup efx supplier like Monstermakers or Alcone. But the grease based makeup is carried at stores around Halloween, it's just a much cheaper (quality) product. Check the packaging to make sure its not water based. Mehron and Ben Nye are 2 good brands to try but probably won't be at the Halloween shops. But as we mentioned earlier, make sure to seal the appliance with castor oil first.

Castor oil, I seem to remember seeing this in stores, is it the same thing? Will any brand work? Do I just brush it on and let dry?

One more question, I have always heard that oil rots rubber, is Castor oil safe to use on foam latex?

I would pre-paint with Pax, apply the appliance and use regular greasepaint to finish the makeup. If you don't know how to use greasepaint I can give you a quick lesson. Pax is no tack Pros Aide and acrylic paint. You can mix it up as you go. It will not crack and you do not need castor oil. I have appliances done in this manner that are 10 years old and into 50 hours of wear. Castor oil will interfere with some adhesives and WILL make regular greasepaint look terrible.
Laffo.

I would pre-paint with Pax, apply the appliance and use regular greasepaint to finish the makeup. If you don't know how to use greasepaint I can give you a quick lesson. Pax is no tack Pros Aide and acrylic paint. You can mix it up as you go. It will not crack and you do not need castor oil. I have appliances done in this manner that are 10 years old and into 50 hours of wear. Castor oil will interfere with some adhesives and WILL make regular greasepaint look terrible.
Laffo.

Laffo, I could indeed use some help in learning how to use greasepaint!

Here are 2 links that may help. The first is intructions on applying the appliance and makeup. The second is a supplier that sells RMG makeup and others with a castor oil base specifically designed for foam latex and latex makeup.

http://www.instantmonsters.com/Foam Latex Instructions.pdf

FX Warehouse: Rubber Mask Grease Paint RMG

BornKIlr, thank you for the links, I'm looking at them now, and thanks for all the tips and suggestions you've given so far! If I would have done this my way, I would have ruined them.

Glad to help. Luckily, with the internet, there's alot of information out there about SFX makeup. Used to be just a small numbers of books showing these techniques.
Here''s another link showing foam latex appliances. The first few pages are making the appliance, but the latter show applying and making it up. As I remember some of the ones I've used, I'll post them here.
Foam latex step by step 1

This was from another tutorial so it was a white based makeup with no appliance. The steps are the same.

The great thing about greasepaint is:
A: Cheap
B: Durable
C: Easy to use, once you know the "Secret"

I use Ben Nye only, as I find it more stable than Merhon. You guys can get this size:
Ben Nye Clown White Makeup Clown Make up Professional Buy Online
It'll last you forever.
They will have all the colors you'll need in little pots as well.

You need an old Tube Sock, a big Makeup Brush, a Ziplock Bag, and Baby Powder.

Put a fist sized pile of Baby Powder in your Sock, tie a knot in the end and put it in the bag. The bag keeps your sock from making the bathroom look like a Baby exploded.

1. We'll start with your base. That would be the white. Take your fingers and pull some Greasepaint out. You can start to apply it to your face as thick as you want. A little over a large area gives you a pallor, a lot over your face gives you Clown Base. It's up to you.
Once you have the desired coverage shade, it's gonna look streaky. Take your hand and pat all over your makeup. The act of tapping it makes the Greasepaint completely smooth.

2. At this point in the makeup we'll seal the base. You may decide after practice that you want to do your base eye makeup now, but that will come with practice.
To seal the makeup take your Powder Sock and pat it all over your face. If there's a sticky spot, powder it. Take your big, fluffy brush and brush off all the extra powder. Splash water on your face and pat dry. That sets Greasepaint.

3. You can start to put on you other features, either using regular Makeup or using other Greasepaint. Once applied, the second layer of Greasepaint can be sealed, brushed and rinsed just like the base.
You can tap out the edges of your makeup to blend out the color.

4. Practice. A good Greasepaint makeup is about nothing but confidence. It can be an ugly Makeup, but applied solidly, will be successful. Don't leave your first application for 10 minutes before you need to leave for an Event. In a situation like that, it will go wrong. Since this stuff is cheap, you can do, literally 100's of applications, practice is good.

5. Removal. Cheap Olive Oil. Good for your skin. Easy to use. Rub it on, towel it off, wash your face, done.

So here's how it goes:
Base, Tap, Seal, Brush, Rinse, Detail, Tap, Seal, Brush, Rinse, Party, Oil, Towel, Wash, Gloat.

Here's my thoughts after years of doing this:

This process is a little different for RMG as it is not as good at covering skin or foam rubber as PAX or Greasepaint.

Regular Greasepaint is cheaper than RMG and CAN BE USED ON FOAM LATEX by simply sealing the appliance with no tack ProsAide. No tack is good to have for blending the edges of your appliance.

Even better you can make PAX with no tack and acrylic paint. You can mix your own colors. PAX is also airbrushable and safe for skin. You can prepaint your appliance, apply it and blend it in saving tons of time and headache - making a better looking makeup. It is dirt cheep as well.

Once your PAX painted appliance is on you can use traditional greasepaint to tie it in and even on the appliance itself. The PAX painted foam can have greasepaint cleaned off it as well.

If you've ever used Castor Oil and then go the PAX route you'll never go back. I have appliances that have been reused a dozen times and are 10 years old.

I will never use RMG ever again - haven't for years - it has a place on Woochie style Latex pieces I guess, but no tack and PAX work on them too.

Practice ahead of time.

Lemme know what else you need.
Laffo.

Last edited:
Wow, this is getting to be quite expensive, and complex.

O.k., so for the make-up and to color the foam latex appliance I need
-grease paint (Ben Nye or other)
-no tack pros-aide
-olive oil
-spirit gum remover?

Laffo, your instructions are pretty clear. You say you have appliances that have lasted ten years, the company I bought from says I can't get maybe two or three uses out of one set. I obviously need to practice, if I use your methods, will I have close to the same results as you?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back