Foam Iron Man Mark IV Progress (NEW BUILD, starting soon..)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by StarksWarehouse, May 11, 2012.

1. StarksWarehouse

StarksWarehouse Active Member

Hi everyone, I will be posting up my progress from my build ,as well as making explanation videos and written explanations of what I have done as I go along. I have made my first tutorial that explains what is needed in the for of software for pepakua and the foam edited pep files from threads on this site.

I am half way through building my foam suit, i started it last year but never had the push to keep going at it, i am hoping doing these tutorials for you guys and having to keep up to date on my website will give me the push i need to get work done each day at least!

the first video i have made is on my youtube which is StarksWarehouse - YouTube

and the written explanation that goes along with this is here Lesson 1

if there are any questions you would like to ask about anything, please let me know and i will do my best to answer them and update my explanations to include this info.

When i get home from work i will take pics of my completed suit so far and post them for you guys to see. and will be updating you anything more happens.

I ordered a hot cutting knife a few days ago to help cutting the foam so hopefully that will be here soon then i can tell you guys how that is and if its worth buying one.

See ya soon guys :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. BobbyS95

BobbyS95 Well-Known Member

Re: Foam Iron Man Lessons(Start to Finish)/Progress.

I love you

3. sgtsparky22

sgtsparky22 Member

Can't wait to take a look when I get home :)

4. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

Keep it coming!

5. StarksWarehouse

thanks.... i think. :p haha

i will hopefully be getting more up on the site and more videos up very soon.

6. arrow105

arrow105 New Member

Really liking this thread especially the scaling. I have stuggled with that part. I'm going to try that when I get home. Thanks!!!

7. KidCas5154

KidCas5154 Active Member

Perfect timing. I'm about to start my first build and a step by step is for sure going to be helpful. All the other tutorials are more of general tips for when you are making your suit. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar lol.

8. reezer

reezer Member

Off to a good start

9. StarksWarehouse

Hey guys!

the second video and written tutorial are up now.

In this next lesson i cover the tools i use, cutting out the pepakura templates and tracing them onto foam. I was going to add cutting them out of foam onto this lesson too but it was already a little long and i didnt want to bore anyone too soon! lol.

the video lesson is here HERE

and the written tutorial is at my website HERE

The second part of this tutorial which includes cutting the foam pieces will be up very shortly to follow on from this tutorial. And i will hopefully be updating my progress page on y site to show you guys how far along with my suit i am at the moment.

I do really hope these tutorials help you guys out and that they are not just useless. :p

10. StarksWarehouse

Hey all. just wanted to upload a few pics of my progress on my foam iron man. hope you guys like it so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the last pic of the helmet is the same helmet i am showing how to build in my videos tutorial's which is why for now it is just taped together .

i have just started work on the thigh's so will post more when i have it.

there is more progress updates and the lessons i mentions above at Starks Warehouse

11. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Didn't Stealth already do this? And shouldn't you at least give credit to those that have done all the work on the templates and tuts before on this?

12. StarksWarehouse

yes stealth has done tutorials, so have a lot of other people. im just making my own as well. and i gave credit to the creators of the files in my first video and will give credit to those that i have learnt off as i go if i use any of the methods i have learnt from anyone else.

13. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

I plan to keep an eye on this one myself :) The more pics well all have the better!

14. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

is that 1 cm foam?

15. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey I see my name in the video lol

thanks! :)

16. Tony Rod

Tony Rod New Member

Wow, amazing! Can't wait to see some more progress on this.

17. StarksWarehouse

thanks everyone for the good words.
    Yes it is 1cm/10mm foam :)

And your welcome STEALTH , if we didnt have guys like you, we would be nowhere, so again, Thank You :)

18. StarksWarehouse

I just finished my first thigh last night. looks pretty neat, will look better when the rest of the leg is complete though.
    And i also have my latest video uploaded on youtube HERE :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. StarksWarehouse

The written lesson to accompany the latest video is now up on my website. Lesson2

i will once again be working tonight every spare hour i have to do my second thigh, fingers crossed i can get this suit finished within a week or two not many parts left to do now :)

20. StarksWarehouse

quick update, i just finished my left full leg, it got a little messy around the knee area but i got it best i could and i will clean it all up with bondo after i pull a resin part from it. :)

21. StarksWarehouse

Hey guys. its been a while since i updated this thread, but i have my next video online. this video focus' mainly on gluing the sections together
    Lesson 3 - Glueing the foam

i will also be updating my progress page on my website soon as i just about have my full suit made and have now started to seal the foam :)

22. TheBlackPhantom

TheBlackPhantom Member

Re: Foam Iron Man Lessons(Start to Finish)/Progress. (Lesson 3 - Glueing, now online)

This is great! I'm just about to start my first suit!

23. StarksWarehouse

Re: Foam Iron Man Lessons(Start to Finish)/Progress. (Lesson 3 - Glueing, now online)

Excellent! i hope these lessons come in useful for your build :)

24. StarksWarehouse

Re: Foam Iron Man Progress / How To (Start to Finish). (Suit update)

Hey! sorry it has been a while since i posted on here, i have uploaded a quick video on my youtube page HERE on my suit progress. i will take some pics tomorrow and upload them also, and i will be ordering some items (silicone rubber, modroc, etc) tomorrow to be able to start casting the suit and eventually pull polyurethane resin pieces from it. :)

25. matway

matway New Member

Re: Foam Iron Man Progress / How To (Start to Finish). (Suit update - 30th June 2012)

Thanks for the tutorials. So helpful!

26. StarksWarehouse

Re: Foam Iron Man Progress / How To (Start to Finish). (Suit update - 30th June 2012)

Your welcome Matway, will hopefully have some more updates soon.

27. TK Maxx

TK Maxx New Member

Brilliant thread. Excellent tutorials.

28. StarksWarehouse

Thanks TK!

Quick update, I have just received some molding test supplies that I ordered at the weekend. Its not a lot, maybe enough to mold maybe 2 biceps, but just bought it to make sure its what I need and that the quality of the stuff is good before ordering bulk.

As to when I will be able to get to order bulk of the supplies I don't know yet, as I have limited money at the moment and lots of bills headed my way! (Which is never good!) So may be a while before I can order bulk and start casting and molding the entire suit.

But the supplies I do have at the moment, I will update you on when I do use it, to let you know how it goes etc.

But before that I still need to make/upload a video of sealing the suit, prior to making the molds etc, so keep an eye out for that too.

I will take a pic of the supplies I have received today soon, and stick it up here so you can see what I have to work with.

Gary

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

29. omarbou1

omarbou1 Well-Known Member

Re: StarksWarehouse's Foam Iron Man Mark 3 Progress (Suit update - 30th June 2012)

just wanted to tell you i really loved your videos but its not a mark 3 its a mark 4 lol
    the difference between these two are not that big but there are lots of differences :) just wanted to tell you !!! nice work !!!

30. StarksWarehouse

Re: StarksWarehouse's Foam Iron Man Mark 4 Progress (Suit update - 30th June 2012)

eek, thanks for that! i should have know as i have seen the files that tell me that about a million times! lol must have been a slip of the finger! Thanks! :D

31. StarksWarehouse

Re: StarksWarehouse's Foam Iron Man Mark 4 Progress (Suit update - 30th June 2012)

Hi everyone! its been a while since i posted but i have been very busy recently. I have just about got the full suit made in foam and sealed, there are just a few pieces left that i am working on now then the full suit will be in foam, i admit that it has taken me a while compared to them that can make a full suit in foam within 2 weeks but i just dont have the time with work etc, i wish i could have had my suit done in 2 weeks! lol
    anyway, i have uploaded a few new progress pics on my website here and i have also uploaded a few more videos on youtube and my website explaining how i am sealing the foam that i am using .
    I am jst re-doing the shoulder bells right now, here is a update pic on them

32. superpael

superpael New Member

Re: StarksWarehouse's Foam Iron Man Mark 4 Progress (Suit update - 31st July 2012)

what color did you use for the "gold" parts of it? looks awesome man :D

33. StarksWarehouse

Re: StarksWarehouse's Foam Iron Man Mark 4 Progress (Suit update - 31st July 2012)

:s not sure where your looking but i haven't got around to the painting stages of my suit yet, so i haven't chose any colours yet.

quick update, i just finished building my foamm hands and fingers using JOwE's great files that can be found HERE

34. Shakeitdavey

Shakeitdavey Well-Known Member

Great work mate! Those tutorials will be handy for alot of people!

35. StarksWarehouse

cheers mate! well thought id post up progress /explanations so i can make the mistakes so that others dont have to. lol

36. StarksWarehouse

Quick update on my build, i am just part way though re-building parts in foam and the last part i am re-doing is the helmet, i am taking tips from James at XRobots to modify the templates so i have no slits in the foam, the helmet is the last and final part of the entire sit i have to build in foam, then i can either plastic coat it using James' method, try another idea i have, or go straight to molding the suit :) let me know what you think of the new hemet so far.

37. StarksWarehouse

38. omarbou1

Re: StarksWarehouse's Foam Iron Man Mark 4 Progress (Helmet rebuild, - Aug 14th 2012)

i contine to make u the suggestion to reg pep your helmet mann this one is very nice but, you wont have as much detail as a cardstock one and also, you are gonna mold so i recommend you to pep it so that your mold and cast will be much better !!

39. StarksWarehouse

Re: StarksWarehouse's Foam Iron Man Mark 4 Progress (Helmet rebuild, - Aug 14th 2012)

Honestly, i dont have the time or patience to build a regular pep helmet. lol. i have built a pep helmet in the past which took a long time on its own, then the glassing took a while too, and dont even get me started on the bodyfiller/bondo'ing it lol. but thankyou for your comments. im just looking for a quick, easy, movie looking suit.im not mega fussed about every little detail, do what i have now is good enough for me :) thankyou though

40. Roly Todd

Roly Todd New Member

Looking good Gary..... I'm still following, just not very vocal as things are crazy busy with work for me too at the minute...

Keep it up dude :)

41. StarksWarehouse

Thanks Roly. You should start a thread with your work too, im sure there are a lot of people on here interested in shrinking a suit for their young ones :)

42. omarbou1

actually he is awesome for a foam one :D

43. omarbou1

Re: StarksWarehouse - Foam Iron Man Mark IV Progress (Helmet rebuild, - Aug 14th 2012

i will surely check out ALL of you videos !! cuz maybe when ill have the money and that means soon, i will try myself at molding i am checking your UK mate's work xrobots but i there is no pics on how to make the rigid mold so... :/

44. StarksWarehouse

Re: StarksWarehouse - Foam Iron Man Mark IV Progress (Helmet rebuild, - Aug 14th 2012

thanks Omarbou1 :) yeh the molding just comes down to money! which sucks! yeh James has some brilliant videos up, i have tried a few different methods on making the rigid mother mold, from plaster bandage topped with fibreglass, to just fibreglass, and just plaster bandage, i think for the easiest and cheapest, i will just use plaster bandages and thicken it with more plaster (and maybe put a layer of fibreglass matting in the plaster to make it more sturdy) but when i get to that stage i will make a video on it for sure :)

45. omarbou1

yeah but i think fiberglass would just stick to the sillicone mold or melt it soo i think james did one or idk how many mordroc coat but yeah since my birthday is next month ....11th september -.-... i will probably be working at a stores this month so i can get the money to mold and yadada but before that i would make my suit all over again because seeing the difference between the shins that are perfect and the arms that arent ...:/ i think before molding i should redo them !!

46. StarksWarehouse

well i used fiberglass matting and jesmonite as the resin (a water based resin rather than a polyester based resin) so im not sure how the polyester based resin would react to the silicone. and yeh modroc is basically the brand on plaster bandage, and it is very cheap , i can get a 10 pack of 15cm x 2.7m ( so thats basically 27 meters worth) for £13! or a 80 meter roll for £24. :) but yeh, before you start molding you want to make sure everything is how you want it, if not your going to waste a LOT of money of molding supplies. like i say, the more pre prep work you put in, the less work will need to be done afterward. :)

47. StarksWarehouse

Hey guys, i uploaded some pics of the pieces i mentioned in the last video update onto my progress page on my website ,just in case you want to see :) 17-08-12 update

48. omarbou1

hey i was thinking about it ...you said you dont want to bondo etc ... but if you mold your pieces .... you 'll have to fill the casts

49. StarksWarehouse

not necessarily, i will have to sand the casts down obviously, and maybe fill soe small imperfections, but not to the extent of having to bondo a card pep helmet as there is a lot less angles in the newer foam edit i have done than a card pep helmet :)

50. omarbou1

yea your right :rolleyes