Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start - Con Page 5 / Sound Page 6!

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Bradester, May 12, 2012.

1. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Hi guys! I, like a ton of people recently, got the itch to build an Iron Man suit. I decided after my horrible smelly experience with fiberglassing my Batmobile, that a foam Iron Man suit is the way to go. I've researched all I can, watched the YouTube vids from Stealth and the other great ones, and started yesterday.

I downloaded all the letter-sized Pep files and printed them secretly while at work. Of course our printer being nappy, each page got scaled to a different size. I didn't notice this until I had cut everything out and started piecing them together. 11 hour story short, I'm having to free-hand my Iron Man suit. I started with the helmet and it's not perfect. But I think it has character. So, do you guys think it's good enough to continue with the rest? Be honest now please. I'm not even sure if it fits yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. StarksWarehouse

StarksWarehouse Active Member

Re: Foam Iron Man - An Imperfect Start

looks kind of like a "real steel" "iron man".

You ask if its good? well that depends. if your wanting a replica iron man suit, then i personally would start again (im kind of a perfectionist anyway so even if my faceplate is slightly off then il start again, which it did and i am just building mmy new helmet for one of my tutorial videos now)

but if your just after a rough iron man with a personal touch then it looks pretty good, especially for freehand!

3. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

I think it's slowing growing on me. Maybe. I made a few cuts on the back and was just now able to put it on for the first time. It needs the back area expanded for a more comfortable fit as my nose is pressed right against the front and its waaaaayyy too tight. But here is how it looks, which gives a better idea than it sitting on the counter.

[​IMG]

4. StarksWarehouse

it does look pretty col in a weird way lol! kind of looks like a mash up of iron man like i said before :)

5. XWFalcon

XWFalcon Well-Known Member

I like this. You could almost keep the style through the whole costume, and go for an 'animated' look.

6. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I like it, sure lets be honest it does not look movie accurate, ok I don't think you needed us to tell you that. But honestly it does have a lot of character. If I were you I would paint it up red and instead of gold I would use a gold brass type mix but before painting it I would add rivets and make it a steampunk Ironman. I think it really has the look for a steampunk version. Nice job.

7. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Looks like an ABC warrior/Iron man. Still definitely usable, you should see my Power Ranger helmet!

8. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

how come you didn't cut the corners off the edges? That's why it's so boxy. Good first try though.

keep at it. You'll pick up more things, the more you do it. It will make sense soon enough.

9. venator

venator Member

I'd suggest starting again, make sure your printer does not scale.

Also, if you don't have one, invest in a heat gun so you can get smooth curves

10. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Thanks guys! But honestly telling me "make sure your printer works right" isn't much help, since I don't know the dimensions to start with. That being said, I'm going to go forward and paint it up to see what it looks like and continue with the build! I can always go back and remake something right? What would be a HUGE favor though, would be if someone could print-out the foam Pep helmet file that contains less pieces and physically mail it to me? I've tried 3 printers now all with bad luck, so I'm hoping the helmet is the hardest piece given its size and needed curves.

11. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Thats the thing with pepakura, you size it, re-size it, then get the wrong settings on your printer. Then think you've fixed it but its still small. then take away borders on your print style and BOOM! Huge helmet. Alot of trial and error.
    Alot.

12. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

IDK...I kinda like it..it looks like the cartoon version..Looks cool IMO

13. reezer

reezer Member

I would probably suggest first getting the files to print properly first. You could end up wasting a lot of foam and time freehanding it. Plus, it may not be what you dreamed it would be. I'm pretty new to costume making myself but I have always told myself that I want it to look as close as possible to real thing cause I don't want to be the guy at the convention that people see and say to themselves, "Nice try buddy, don't quit your day job." For mine, I didn't have pepekura designer, because I have a mac, so I found some foam files that someone saved in pdf format. I think the default size was for about a 6ft person and I am only 5'6". However I noticed that for my printer settings, if I selected "size to fit" in the print settings as opposed to "actual size"; it slightly scaled them down.
    Here is a link to the pdf's IronMan_Foam.7z - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

14. mau5

mau5 Active Member

Honestly I would re-do that.

15. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't mean this to be critical, because I don't think I could do a PEP armor, but it looks like a Frankenstein/Iron Man. Put some big bolts on the side and do the rest of the suit in bits and pieces from other super heroes. It would definitely be unique.

16. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Soooooo...... I painted it up to see how she looks anyways. Minus the eyes, the "cheek" details and very back of the head. What do you all think now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. CapKaos

CapKaos Well-Known Member

To be honest, it looks a helluva lot like the helmet Iron Man has in "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes". That was my first thought any way. If you go in that route it should look amazing!

18. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Ya? Post a pic if that please. Maybe I'll try to make a realistic version of a cartoon design!

19. CapKaos

CapKaos Well-Known Member

20. docholiday78

docholiday78 Sr Member

looks like it should be in an art gallery.."absract ironman" bet u would make alot of cash, pretty cool man

21. venator

venator Member

Get a tape measure, get someone to measure how wide your head is, go into 2d -> Change Scale

What I said was "make sure your printer is not scaling" not "make sure your printer works right".

The menu to the right of the 2d menu also has paper settings, make sure that is set to the correct size.

Scaling issues happen to everyone, hell I made a piece of the mark 7 last night and it's way too small (I'm 6'4)

22. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Hmmm.... what is a 7z file?

Wait! Nevermind. I was able to open it. I am curious of this, as it does have WAY LESS pieces than the other files I had. I may try a helmet again then :)

23. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Ok, I'm ready to give the helmet another shot now that I've learned what the foam will and won't do. Plus JFcustom and his thread http://www.therpf.com/f24/inexpensive-5-days-built-foam-iron-man-147915/ has given me new hope!

But I do know since I didn't try to do the angled cuts on the first helmet, and me being quite dyslexic (and color blind and ADD), that this suit will pose quite the challenge for me, as my brain just won't let itself figure out which direction angled cuts to make. I think it's going to cause me quite the frustration, especially since I see how fast other people can make their suits and me knowing the big projects I've designed in the past and being frustrated that a "smaller project" causes me troubles. But I'm ready to give it a go again! ROAR!

24. joker53

joker53 Active Member

i went tru the same problem too, mine looked like "bulk head" from transformer, keep trying and i'm happy with the new result..

you should keep the current one, who knows you have an inspration on making an "animated" looked:thumbsup

25. Demolition

Demolition Well-Known Member

Hi mate looks to me like your bits are right and like Stealth pointed out i just thinks its how you have glued them together so im going to attempt to help you see where you've gone wrong, OK Ive drawn a simple diagram to try and explain look at all your joints on you helmet they are all square so the whole helmet looks square your joints are like to diagram A the butt joint to a side joint which makes it square they need to be butt to butt and that makes the foam curve like in diagram B hope this helps keep up the hard work

[​IMG]

26. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Thanks! Yes, I do think that is where I errored too. Tomorrow I will play with foam again. Today though, was $8 arc reactor day!

Parts needed:
    1 bottle of Snapple
    1 lid from the can of Krylon Clear Coat, with the center cut out
    1 cheap LED tap light
    [​IMG]

Stacked like this:
    [​IMG]

Gives this cool look:
    [​IMG]

Once my chest piece is made, this will be inserted and the bottle trimmed to the right thickess. I plan on making it removable and cutting a small hole in the side to be able to push the tap light on and off, to which the chest piece itself will hide. The outter edge of the bottle is quite bright too, its just my camera wouldnt focus on it correctly.

27. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

Wow, ok, yes this is obvious but I've never used method A or B to connect the top of my helmet to the sides. Method B never dawned on me and Method A was certainly not going to work.

Please ignore my lousy graphic arts , but you should get the idea on how I am connecting the top of the helmet to the sides.

[​IMG]

Dean

28. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

Try methode D :

[​IMG]

Note we'll only list 26 ways by labeling them with letters... :lol

29. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Re: Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start - UPDATE!

BEHOLD try #2! Just a few little tweaks and ready for paint! It took 10 hours to build, but I made it as clean as I could! MANY thanks to JFcustom as I am using his altered foam plans.

[​IMG]

30. Demolition

Demolition Well-Known Member

Hi brad look loads better well done your getting there ive just got some tips for you to make it perfect before your go ahead and paint it there easy tweaks and will make it 100% better see what you think

hope it helps

[​IMG]

31. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Hi. Thanks, but it's already mostly painted. I did fix the gaps on the eye corners already, the rest will stay how it is as I had to upscale parts to make it fit my 24" melon.

32. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

One of the 2 coats of gold paint drying, PLUS I found these little $7 LED goodies for possible use in the hands!

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  33. chamuco110

chamuco110 Member

Your helmet is getting better congrats!!

34. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

TA DA! Done except for the lighted eyes, which should only cost about $10. Paint must dry first.

[​IMG]

35. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Re: Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start - Helmet DONE!

Ta da! I'm happy with it, so that's what matters :)

I bought a frosted plastic essay protector that school kids use, and cut it for the eye material.

Then I bought 2 LED flexible reading lights and cut the body apart to remove the battery packs from their bulky housing, made velcro straps to keep the batteries in place in their trays, painted the light head black, and glued everything into the helmet. They are VERY bright.

[​IMG]

36. jshull

jshull New Member

37. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Re: Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start - 2nd Helmet DONE!

Is it weird that I find the helmet cool? man, I just have an Idea for you, make it a mash up between a steam-punk iron man and Frankenstein! a couple of tubes here and there, some sort of steam tank in the back, a little more copper color, amazing....

38. jshull

jshull New Member

Oops, just saw that someone else already said it. I stand by the hope of you building an EMH suit though!

39. made007

made007 Sr Member

I say keep that one and start another one then compare wich you like best, i bet second try will be better, good luck

40. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks quite good ! Foam building isn't as easy as it sounds, I've experienced it too...
    Unless you really want to go with movie suit, you should give a try at the Earth mightiest's heroes suit, or a hybrid ! You actually made me want to do one, as this show is amazing.
    Good luck with the rest of the suit ! By the way, can you see well enough through the eyes ? It seems bright indeed !

41. electraflier

electraflier Well-Known Member

Wow! The improvement from one to two is great! I cant wait to branch out to foam and I appreciate your posts as they will help alot of us with our first foam builds!

42. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Re: Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start

Sooooo Immmm back! I got side-tracked a video project and some other stuff. But, I did make this last night! The chest piece! Onward!

Oh and that first weird helmet I made? It SHRUNK! Really, it's not even close to fitting now and I have no idea why or how. I can't even wear it. Oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

I'm going to start the Brace and Back now. I've searched for this and couldn't find an answer so I'll ask: Does the front chest connect to the back piece and then "float" over the brace, or does everything connect to the Brace? Basically once I have all the pieces made, what connects to what?

44. JFcustom

JFcustom Sr Member

I've colorized here where to glue the parts together :

[​IMG]

And here, how to connect collar plates to the top of the back/chest :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

anyway, it's the way I did... The result is a one-piece torso that you put on just like a T-shirt.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  45. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

That helps quite a bit, thank you much!

46. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

So I've got the shoulder pieces done! The first one took 4 hours, I don't know why. Then I figured it was because of waiting for the hot glue to cure given some of the angles create stress. So I discovered that by putting the pieces in the freezer for a minute to cool the glue, it cuts down the build time; so the 2nd shoulder only took half the time while also being distracted by Family Guy on Netflix.

And, this should make some of you happy. Since I've mastered the hot knife, I cut the face plate off my helmet to fix the cheeks. Totally happy with its look/shape now.

47. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

I made the Chest from the 1/2" foam mats or whatever thickness they are, and will do the Back the same way. But, should the Brace be my 1/2" as well, or thinner like the Helmet?

48. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

So I made the Brace last night. It's not perfect, but it's mainly hidden anyways.

Then I got to test fit the pieces together for the firs time which was fun to get an idea of what the suit will look like. The Collar pieces, I may remake them with the thick foam as it looks like they could have a bit of stress put on them given how to connect them to the body. They arent in the below pictures.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  49. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

Re: Foam Iron Man - How To Wear It???

So! I just made the Back piece and tacked the Chest to it. But, how am I supposed to put the thing on? Are you not supposed attach the Chest and Back to the Core permanently?

50. StarksWarehouse

Re: Foam Iron Man - How To Wear It???

I would suggest cutting the brace in half across the top of the shoulders then glueing the front half of the brace to the inner half of the chest, and the back to the back. then use some of these Plastic Buckles to attach the front and back together.