Foam Helmet Help

lordneg

Im pretty new to this whole foam thing. I have built some props in the past. but saw stuff in foam and loved it figured I would try my hand at it. well long story short I failed haha. I built a simple helm, I guess I should have planned better, and have huge gaps in the foam. I figured hot glue would fill the gaps but no luck and my sander got gummed up when I tried to sand it. I would prefer to not have to use bondo to fill the holes. I would like to try and larp with it. any ideas what else I could use. I also dont want to dump the whole thing and start over. Im pretty new to this whole foam thing. I have built some props in the past. but saw stuff in foam and loved it figured I would try my hand at it. well long story short I failed haha. I built a simple helm, I guess I should have planned better, and have huge gaps in the foam. I figured hot glue would fill the gaps but no luck and my sander got gummed up when I tried to sand it. I would prefer to not have to use bondo to fill the holes. I would like to try and larp with it. any ideas what else I could use. I also dont want to dump the whole thing and start over. thnks alot glenn
IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

Last edited:
Im pretty new to this whole foam thing. I have built some props in the past. but saw stuff in foam and loved it figured I would try my hand at it. well long story short I failed haha. I built a simple helm, I guess I should have planned better, and have huge gaps in the foam. I figured hot glue would fill the gaps but no luck and my sander got gummed up when I tried to sand it. I would prefer to not have to use bondo to fill the holes. I would like to try and larp with it. any ideas what else I could use. I also dont want to dump the whole thing and start over. Im pretty new to this whole foam thing. I have built some props in the past. but saw stuff in foam and loved it figured I would try my hand at it. well long story short I failed haha. I built a simple helm, I guess I should have planned better, and have huge gaps in the foam. I figured hot glue would fill the gaps but no luck and my sander got gummed up when I tried to sand it. I would prefer to not have to use bondo to fill the holes. I would like to try and larp with it. any ideas what else I could use. I also dont want to dump the whole thing and start over. thnks alot glenn
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Glenn_Moss/IMG_0306.jpg
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Glenn_Moss/IMG_0309.jpg

I dont know how to resolve your problem but...
same here

- - - Updated - - -

wait I know! maybe you can do paper mache on it

I think this is beyond fixing to be honest. Doesn't look like it used a whole lot of material, so just take what you've learned and start fresh. Everyone makes mistakes, and every costume project is going to be filled with trial and error.

In general you could use (paintable!) Silicone Caulking to fill gaps,but like Bummer stated: you already have a win-win situation experience wise.Even the material you can 'recycle'; just cut it up and re-use with exception of edges with glue.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back