Foam head Template

Hann

Today im going out to get some upholstery foam
I watched that tutorial on youtube which shows you how to complete the foam mask
But i need help with the parts
It anybody has any templates please post
cause im a noob
so i know nothing

OMG! I haven't even finished watching the video yet and everytime he holds up the finished mask, my jaw drops open. Unreal.
Oh, I'm a newb. Hi.
Ugh! Not enough info. What is the clip he speaks of? Do you latex it or just paint it? The process blows me away but left out some important parts.

I have the mask part way completed
hopefully I will have finished photos up to show you guys
I think the mask is a success

Hey man, i'm a newb, therefore i wanted to build a mask that fits my head, everyone that i've tried on thus far is way too big.

what did you do to cover the thing? and can you put pics of the mouth mechanism? thanks.

Upholstery foam is open celled, so you need to seal it before you paint it, or the small holes will be visible and the massive amount of paint being sucked into the foam will make it really heavy and it will take a long time to dry.

Upholstery foam is open celled, so you need to seal it before you paint it, or the small holes will be visible and the massive amount of paint being sucked into the foam will make it really heavy and it will take a long time to dry.
Predattack (one on youtube) says he apply latex on the foam to seal it.. And then you can use acrylic paint to paint the entire mask.. Then seal it with a sealer

One thing to note about sealers is they are not a be all end all solution. Just because you seal your paint, does not mean there will not be issues. If the paint does not have enough flexibility, it will still crack. If the paint job is thick enough, and adhesion is poor, as it is with acrylics, the whole thing could peel off. You need to make sure that your bond is good. No sealer can make up for that 100 percent. So often people seal a make-up on an actor's face. Just because you seal it, does not mean it will not smudge, in the instance of something oil based, but it will make smudging less likely. Just remember that as you make your paint choices.

awesome thanks for the info, i'm considering doing this project the more i see it. How would one go about adding the skin detail into the latex? like skin wrinkles / lines?

And can we get those pictures please !?

Well, you can add latex soaked sheets of rolled medical cotton on the already latex coated skin, and sculpt into that. Honestly though, it is hard to get detail in latex. You can try thickening the latex, with cabosil or a liquid thixotropic agent designed for latex. I have only ever seen one, and the brand name escapes me as I never use it. There is a trick of coating it with foam latex and waiting for the foam to gel and then sculpting the detail into it. But then you have to sit there for a few hours blow drying the foam until it cures. Kinda a pain.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back