Foam Filling Help

berserk wolf

Hey guys. Mom got me an early Chirstmas gift, a Rubies full Batman TDK/TDKR cowl. It fits me perfectly, but I need to foam fill it. What kind of foam do you use when filling your Pred masks? Please post here or PM me. Thank you!

-Marvin

i foamed a half mask with great stuff expandin foam and then trimmed it, but a 2 part foam would be better, too bad i havent found a place that ship to my location

Great stuff hardens like a rock. Keep that in mind, its very abrasive.

You would probably need some soft foam. I would buy some sheets of upholstery foam and cut up the sections you need. Cut some custom made pieces to fit in the parts of the mask. Glue them in place with some adhesive. I think George recomended one time SPRAY 77 by 3M?

Google that, or find a good upholstery fabric/foam glue.

Goodluck! POST PICS

we get super 78 at the shop where i work. its like super 77 but geared towards foam. it has a really strong bond to it

Just wondering, could you use like eggcrate foam, or memory foam in a mask? I know nothing has bee posted on this topic before, but I havent been able to find anything in regards to foaming a mask, and I need something to fill the back up some.

if you use expanding foam, do not wear the mask for at least two weeks, because these flexible foams leach cyanide gas (which is what makes them foam up) for a while

Also keep in mind expanding foam tends to push out so also be careful it doesn't distort it when it's expanding it will be ruined.

Tried searching the forums but came up more or less empty.,... does anyone know if there is a tutorial somewhere on site or elsewhere on foam filling suits?

cheers

I imagine it is, but seeing how the process is done might convince me either way as Yoda would say "do or do not....there is no try".

cheers

There is no exact method of filling the suit, unless you have a core for the mold and the negative mold. Once it is out of the mold, it is hard to accurately fill, basically impossible. You would have to jusat start putting foam in and then tweak it as you go and it would never be a true body fit.

heres a shocker....... i am Going to disagree.

If you think like that , then you are giving in way too easy.

we are NOT fx shops, so can not, and do not HAVE to do everything as we would like to or want to. but the VAST majority of the suits here are not built or foamed that way, and ALL the lairs suits ROCK! and with some time and careful planning you CAN have a awesome looking awesome fitting suit.

The Lairs laughs in the face of "basically impossible" tasks.

I think you guys are misinterpretting what I am saying. I am saying to foam fill, apply foam in a liquid form and have it expand accurately, it would be tough without a core. I am not saying you cannot ghetto fabulously start gluing in random pieces of sheet foam/upholstery foam/etc. until it fits reasonably well. That can be done with some Barge Glue, and a lot of patience. But, it will never be a 100% fit. I would imagine that hardly needs a tutorial. Simple: take foam, apply adhesive, stick in to suit, repeat as necessary until it fits well enough. Now, filling with expanding polyfoam, that would be quite a tutorial, but an expensive one.

I wish you guys would not take my comments so personally. Every time I offer a response, it seems someone feels injured by it. I am here to help, and offer advice where I can.

I just had a idea a few months back i bought a big roll of filter floss sponge 10M by 1M for 10 pound off ebay u could try and stuff this stuff and glue
it in with the spray glue just a thought

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back